Iowa recruiting is hard pill to swallow.

OK. Name a good cornerback in the pros who played cornerback (or any other position) under the KF regime at Iowa.

Iowa doesn't teach good cornerback skills that are coveted by NFL scouts and consequently not coveted by high school cornerbacks (or QBs, or WRs).

So if we don't put any CB's in the pro's, they weren't good CB in college? I disagree, and here are the following CB where were 1st or 2nd team All B1G CB:

'16 - Desmond King
'15 - Desmond King
'13 - BJ Lowrey
'12 - Micah Hyde
'11 - Shaun Prater
'11 - Micah Hyde
'10 - Shaun Prater
'09 - Amari Spievey
'08 - Amari Spievey
'07 - Charles Godfrey
'05 - Jovon Johnson

Yea I don't get the whole "well if they didn't play that position in the NFL then they aren't good" mindset. Who gives a crap if they switched positions in the pros? Their talent in college got them drafted. If the NFL wants them to switch position so be it. It doesn't lessen what they did in college. Chad Greenway was a QB in high school and turned into a LB in college. Does that mean he sucks because he didn't stick at QB?

KF is the problem with recruiting at Iowa and always will be. Iowa will get its good recruits on the offensive and defensive lines but skill positions like WR, QB and cornerback WILL BE CASTOFFS FROM OTHERS SCHOOLS BECAUSE OF IOWA'S <KF's> OFFENSIVE SYSTEM and KF's tact :(with skill players that Iowa lucks into.

It makes me wonder why KF spent so much to upgrade training facilities, for example, at Iowa. It couldn't have been for recruiting. He knows better.

In the last 12 months Iowa has fielded an all Big Ten QB, a Thorp Award Winner and a Butkus Award Finalist. Next season we'll field a Top 5 RB according to some draft experts. I hope you've sent your resume in for one of the coaching/recruiting vacancies recently opened up. KF could use someone like yourself who has so much intellect & knowledge of successful recruiting practices. I can't believe the program has suffered for so long without you.

Yea I don't get the whole "well if they didn't play that position in the NFL then they aren't good" mindset. Who gives a crap if they switched positions in the pros? Their talent in college got them drafted. If the NFL wants them to switch position so be it. It doesn't lessen what they did in college. Chad Greenway was a QB in high school and turned into a LB in college. Does that mean he sucks because he didn't stick at QB?

<<Does that mean he sucks because he didn't stick at QB?>>

Yes. Yes it does. At least in Champless's World. Because, of course, he should have started over Banks, Chandler and Tate as QB if he was "good".

OK. Name a good cornerback in the pros who played cornerback (or any other position) under the KF regime at Iowa.

Iowa doesn't teach good cornerback skills that are coveted by NFL scouts and consequently not coveted by high school cornerbacks (or QBs, or WRs).

I think Prater and Fletcher are still in the NFL somewhere as corners.....

This thread is about recruiting and I'm saying Iowa doesn't get the special skills players, the QBs the WRs and the cornerbacks, because of Iowa's system of doing things.

Specifically at cornerback, Iowa has sent mostly duds to the NFL. I could extrapolate this to include WRs and QBs. Iowa, under KF, teaches a system contrary to success in the NFL for QBs, WRs and cornerbacks (or, at least, before Davis for WRs and QBs) and special skills high school players see this and focus their recruitment on other schools that highlight and refine their special skills to make the special skills player 'ready' for the NFL.

The system used by KF tries to hide the special skills of players under a bushel.
KF fights with the special skills player. Iowa can't recruit the special skills player.

Last edited:
This thread is about recruiting and I'm saying Iowa doesn't get the special skills players, the QBs the WRs and the cornerbacks, because of Iowa's system of doing things.

Specifically at cornerback, Iowa has sent mostly duds to the NFL. I could extrapolate this to include WRs and QBs. Iowa, under KF, teaches a system contrary to success in the NFL for QBs, WRs and cornerbacks (or, at least, before Davis for WRs and QBs) and special skills high school players see this and focus their recruitment on other schools that highlight and refine their special skills to make the special skills player 'ready' for the NFL.

The system used by KF tries to hide the special skills of players under a bushel.
KF fights with the special skills high school player.

And I disagree with you.....this isn't surprising, since we disagree on most everything (which is good, as I hate being wrong).

Iowa has had an All B1G CB in 10 of the last 12 years. You can't say that All B1G players aren't good, nice try though.

And I disagree with you.....this isn't surprising, since we disagree on most everything (which is good, as I hate being wrong).

Iowa has had an All B1G CB in 10 of the last 12 years. You can't say that All B1G players aren't good, nice try though.
What I'm saying, specifically, for high school cornerbacks (but also for high school QBs and WRs), is the special skilled high school cornerback sees the dearth of Iowa players that play in the NFL, sees that their talent isn't refined and made more NFL-ready with an Iowa football 'education' and goes elsewhere for their recruitment.

Dean, I don't expect you to agree with me since you're a KF mouthpiece.
Come on, man. You can have KF or you can have, maybe, high skilled WRs, cornerbacks and QBs without KF but you can't have both as witnessed by the 'quitting' of Davis..

Last edited:
What I'm saying specifically for high school cornerbacks (but also for high school QBs and WRs), is the special skilled high school cornerback sees the dearth of Iowa players that play in the NFL, sees that their talent isn't refined and made more NFL-ready and goes elsewhere for their recruitment.

Dean, I don;t expect you to agree with me since you're a KF mouthpiece.

Actually I don't agree with you because I can use actual logic, which seems to escape you at times. Having All B1G CB in 10 of the last 12 years means we are getting highly skilled CB to play at Iowa. It is simply a fact, and it only takes limited logically thinking to understand this.

Actually I don't agree with you because I can use actual logic, which seems to escape you at times. Having All B1G CB in 10 of the last 12 years means we are getting highly skilled CB to play at Iowa. It is simply a fact, and it only takes limited logically thinking to understand this.
But Iowa, under KF, doesn't teach Iowa cornerbacks (and QBs and WRs) to be NFL ready and prospective high school recruits see this. Figure it out, just once.

But Iowa, under KF, doesn't teach Iowa cornerbacks (and QBs and WRs) to be NFL ready and prospective high school recruits see this. Figure it out, just once.

Hyde was NFL ready. Godfrey was NFL ready for years, Spievey got paid in the league, Prater was in the NFL, and King is certainly going to be making NFL money.

Once again, you just aren't right. If those 5 WEREN'T NFL ready, how did they make the NFL?

Hyde was NFL ready. Godfrey was NFL ready for years, Spievey got paid in the league, Prater was in the NFL, and King is certainly going to be making NFL money.

Once again, you just aren't right. If those 5 WEREN'T NFL ready, how did they make the NFL?
Hyde is a safety. Sanders was a safety. King will be a safety. Hyde and King, for example, have the physical skills to be corners but Iowa didn't teach them how to be corners in the NFL. It's quite possible Hyde is learning how to be a corner on the job with the Packers.

Godfrey was the outlier. Why was Godfrey the only Iowa cornerback that made it in the NFL as a cornerback for any length of time?

Why are so many Iowa cornerbacks turned into NFL safeties? IMO, because they are taught the zone pass defense and use it a lot while at Iowa. One quality of Iowa cornerbacks isn't their ability to cover a receiver with press coverage.

Last edited:
Hyde is a safety. Sanders was a safety. King will be a safety. Hyde and King, for example, have the physical skills to be corners but Iowa didn't teach them how to be corners in the NFL. It's quite possible Hyde is learning how to be a corner on the job with the Packers.

Godfrey was the outlier. Why was Godfrey the only Iowa cornerback that made it in the NFL as a cornerback for any length of time?

Why are so many Iowa cornerbacks turned into NFL safeties? IMO, because they are taught the zone pass defense and use it a lot while at Iowa. One quality of Iowa cornerbacks isn't their ability to cover a receiver with press coverage.

Yes I am sure that is just scaring them straight away from us... you will play in the NFL, but only as a safety... im sure every kid is saying no thanks im out after that... you could make a point with the WR, but need to drop the CB

Latest posts