Iowa recruiting is hard pill to swallow.

Scooonie

I'm hearing of recruits committing all around to Big 10 teams and even ISU doing a solid job. Then there is Iowa! They have had a handful of decommits and cannot close the deal on other prospects. It's pathetic to me..... I'm beyond frustrated watching them have classes in the 40s and 50s every year. It is exactly why Iowa is a 6-9 win team just about every year and can't take that next step forward. We have great developmental coaches and below average recruiting. It's so frustrating!

I still wouldn't wish for any other staff, but the lack of talent is real in Iowa city and it's a tough pill to swallow.

This team needs playmakers so desperately bad. I'm still hoping for a strong finish to this class but I just don't see it happening.....

Brian needs to make some changes. He has to get the ball rolling in the right direction with recruiting offensive players. Let these kids have their social media networks and let them take visits....Both have hurt Iowa recruiting many times over!

Last edited:
Social Media is a Kirk thing.. But I agree. Let them use it. It's the modern day now, these kids are raised with social media and interaction. Not allowing them to use it is mind boggling.

I still wouldn't wish for any other staff, but the lack of talent is real in Iowa city and it's a tough pill to swallow.

This team needs playmakers so desperately bad. I'm still hoping for a strong finish to this class but I just don't see it happening.....

You are the cause of your own frustration. See highlighted portion for why that is so.

I'm hearing of recruits committing all around to Big 10 teams and even ISU doing a solid job. Then there is Iowa! They have had a handful of decommits and cannot close the deal on other prospects. It's pathetic to me..... I'm beyond frustrated watching them have classes in the 40s and 50s every year. It is exactly why Iowa is a 6-9 win team just about every year and can't take that next step forward. We have great developmental coaches and below average recruiting. It's so frustrating!

You frustrated but wouldn't want anyone else...huh? Look I like puffing on a Fatty every now and then but you really on that good stuff if you think this class isn't going to be elite. Grow a pair and pick a side but saying this class is bad is an overstatement they will finish well and with targeted recruits that developed late/senior year film evaluation.

You frustrated but wouldn't want anyone else...huh? Look I like puffing on a Fatty every now and then but you really on that good stuff if you think this class isn't going to be elite. Grow a pair and pick a side but saying this class is bad is an overstatement they will finish well and with targeted recruits that developed late/senior year film evaluation.

Elite?! Hahaha There is one player in this class that would be considered "Elite" And there is zero big time offensive playmakers that were HIGHLY recruited. Could some of them turn out to be, absolutely!

I'm hoping for the best but it looks like a very very mediocre class with the exception of a few guys. I can see Iowa getting one maybe two decent recruits to end this class and a handful of fall back guys that Mac schools have offered. I totally understand Iowa has developed many of those fall back type recruits but this team needs big time talent to consistently compete for Big 10 titles specifically on the offensive side of things.

You are the cause of your own frustration. See highlighted portion for why that is so.

I just think if this staff would make minor adjustments to its recruiting/offensive philosophy that it could be much more successful. I'm really hoping Brian starts to make an impact on that!

I just think if this staff would make minor adjustments to its recruiting/offensive philosophy that it could be much more successful. I'm really hoping Brian starts to make an impact on that!
KF is the problem with recruiting at Iowa and always will be. Iowa will get its good recruits on the offensive and defensive lines but skill positions like WR, QB and cornerback WILL BE CASTOFFS FROM OTHERS SCHOOLS BECAUSE OF IOWA'S <KF's> OFFENSIVE SYSTEM and KF's tact :(with skill players that Iowa lucks into.

It makes me wonder why KF spent so much to upgrade training facilities, for example, at Iowa. It couldn't have been for recruiting. He knows better.

Last edited:
KF is the problem with recruiting at Iowa and always will be. Iowa will get its good recruits on the offensive and defensive lines but skill positions like WR, QB and cornerback WILL BE CASTOFFS FROM OTHERS SCHOOLS BECAUSE OF IOWA'S <KF's> OFFENSIVE SYSTEM and KF's tact :(with skill players that Iowa lucks into.

It makes me wonder why KF spent so much to upgrade training facilities, for example, at Iowa. It couldn't have been for recruiting. He knows better.

I agree with you Homer at the WR positions. Iowa has done pretty well with QB's and DB though. While maybe not NFL guys, Stanzi did carry a NFL clipboard for a long time, Tate is still in the CFL, Ruddock is in the NFL and CJ has a shot. I don't think identifying and getting QB's has been a problem at all.

WR on the other hand, ughhhhhhhh. I don't think losing Eno is a big deal, I don't think Beau is gonna be some super stud......losing Holmes on the other hand is gonna hurt, he is gonna be an excellent college WR.

Last edited:
Reactions: DJL
I agree with you Homer at the WR positions. Iowa has done pretty well with QB's and DB though. While maybe not NFL guys, Stanzi did carry a NFL clipboard for a long time, Tate is still in the CFL, Ruddock is in the NFL and CJ has a shot. I don't think identifying and getting QB's has been a problem at all.

WR on the other hand, ughhhhhhhh. I don't think losing Eno is a big deal, I don't think Beau is gonna be some super stud......losing Holmes on the other hand is gonna hurt, he is gonna be an excellent college WR.
Notice I posted cornerback, Dean. Including King in the upcoming draft, Iowa <under KF> will have a total of zero cornerbacks make it for any sustained period of time in the pros. Safety <under KF> is an entirely different argument. It seems Iowa <under KF> has flooded the NFL with quality safeties. IMO, safety isn't as much a skill position and can't dominate the game like QB, WR and cornerback.

Notice I posted cornerback, Dean. Including King in the upcoming draft, Iowa <under KF> will have a total of zero cornerbacks make it for any sustained period of time in the pros. Safety <under KF> is an entirely different argument. It seems Iowa <under KF> has flooded the NFL with quality safeties. IMO, safety isn't as much a skill position and can't dominate the game like QB, WR and cornerback.

Did we forget about Hyde already?

The observation one can made, here, that U of I football players who are drafted (of which there are many) aren't drafted or don't last long when drafted in the skill positions.

A skill position player out of high school sees this and looks elsewhere for their college other than Iowa.

Iowa has an athleticism problem and can't recruit athletes because of Iowa's system of doing things. Vicious circle.

If this is true then they must be the greatest coaches in the nation. I mean how could they win 20 games in 2 years with the worst recruits unless they were basically miracle workers as coaches.?
Until they play teams that challenge Iowa's athleticism.

We have had a ton of good CB. Homer is trying to set up a straw man that if those players don't play CB on the NFL then they weren't any good.
OK. Name a good cornerback in the pros who played cornerback (or any other position) under the KF regime at Iowa.

Iowa doesn't teach good cornerback skills that are coveted by NFL scouts and consequently not coveted by high school cornerbacks (or QBs, or WRs).

Last edited:
OK. Name a good cornerback in the pros who played cornerback (or any other position) under the KF regime at Iowa.

Iowa doesn't teach good cornerback skills that are coveted by NFL scouts and consequently not coveted by high school cornerbacks (or QBs, or WRs).
Yet they play CB well enough in college to be drafted.

Reactions: DJL

Latest posts