Iowa ranks #1 in traditions

The Wave is wonderful it still feels pretty new to be a "tradition".

Dotting the "i" at tOSU is pretty cool, it's #1. And yeah, how the hell does walking from the locker room rate as a big "tradition"
I'd have to agree with "dotting" as being #1

I'm sorry, but I refuse to recognize the wave, Jump Around or the tunnel walk as a "Big Ten Tradition." Jump Around started in the 90's. It's still too young. The wave is even younger. Nebraska hasn't been in the conference long enough to have an established conference tradition but if they want to give one to Nebraska it should be "continued use of Enron style accounting to keep a fake sellout streak alive."

Dotting the I is the most significant tradition in the Big Ten. It is a lifetime accomplishment for the few people who get to do it. There is credible history that Illinois created homecoming. That's a pretty damned big one. The Illini War Chant was a better tradition than anything on that list other than dotting the I, but that is now banned. The War Chant would send shivers down your back when they fired it up at key moments and the band director was damned good at following the flow of the game. The wave is also shiver inducing, but too young.

So how many years does something need to be viable in order to be considered a tradition??

Last edited:
The Illini War Chant was a better tradition than anything on that list other than dotting the I, but that is now banned. The War Chant would send shivers down your back when they fired it up at key moments and the band director was damned good at following the flow of the game. The wave is also shiver inducing, but too young.
Bring. It. Back.

I am really impressed by “The Wave.” It is the only tradition where visiting teams join in. It is also the only one that celebrates the fight against childhood disease. For me, “The Wave” is #1. It’s a category in and of itself. And, it was begun by an ordinary Iowa citizen.

So how many years does something need to be viable in order to be considered a tradition??

I don't know, but anything that started when I was in college is too young to be considered a tradition. I mean it seems like just yesterday that I was in college, it was only a few years back. I would say it needed to start pre 1990, maybe pre 1980, hell I could even be talked into pre 1970. I mean the '90's were only like 9 years ago.

Chief Illiniwek was decent. Until PC got carried away.

My son is an Illinois fan because that is where he was born. I showed him Illiniwek and he decided he wanted to rock the chief on his batting helmet in baseball this year. His whole team had Giants decals and here he was taking hacks with Illiniwek on his lid. And he used The War Chant as his walk up song. People were asking if it was an old Braves song or if it was the FSU song and the southerners didn't even know that Illinois used to use it.

I would prefer if he cheered for Iowa, Northwestern or Bama like his old man, but he is die hard Illini. I actually respect him for it. There are no Illinois fans around here and he's loyal to where he was born. I tried to convince him to at least cheer for Northwestern because he was born at the hospital right by Dyche Stadium, but he is insistent he is an Illini guy. I'm not a Bill Cosby level expert on parenting or anything, but I suspect that if I tried to force him to be an Iowa fan it would cost me thousands of dollars in counseling in the future. He's going to school in Japan this summer to get his language skills up and my wife said they ditched the uniform concept due to supply chain problems so he wears his Illinois shirt to school every third day.

If he goes to Illinois and somehow manages to get Illiniwek and the war chant back I won't consider his fandom a lost cause. I believe the children are our future...

I don't know, but anything that started when I was in college is too young to be considered a tradition. I mean it seems like just yesterday that I was in college, it was only a few years back. I would say it needed to start pre 1990, maybe pre 1980, hell I could even be talked into pre 1970. I mean the '90's were only like 9 years ago.

I always revered you and Happy Chef's tradition of non-union Coors at Ron's tailgates.

I always revered you and Happy Chef's tradition of non-union Coors at Ron's tailgates.

Yeah, it ain't non-union anymore bince the consolidation of Coors and Miller. Miller, the beer, not Jon, the former moderator of this site.

View attachment 9055

I've seen 1, 2, 3 and 5 in person. Not even sure I'd recognize #4. Go Hawks.
I've seen the top three in person. I've only been to one other B1G football venue (Ryan Field, and not even for an Iowa game)

For the record, the upper deck at Camp Randall really shakes, rattles and rolls when the do jump around, but that's not even their best tradition. The best is when they sing The Foundations "Build me Up Buttercup", which is a way better song than "Sweet Caroline".

If "touching the banner" is number five then this conference needs some better traditions in a hurry. The Purdue bass drum is cool. Seeing Minnesota come out for a one time tradition of waving a "Jerrysota" flag in honor of their coach who had to step down for health reasons was pretty cool. The victory bell at Illinois was OK. Problem is it doesn't get much use anymore.

Best college tradition I've seen? Go to Division 3 powerhouse UW Whitewater. At the end of the halftime show the band, mascot, student section and most of the crowd do a jazzy number called the "Warhawk Strut".

You do the Warhawk Strut...
....Shake Your Butt!

You can catch it on YouTube. They really get into it!

Anyone know if the Iowa band still goes bar hopping on the night before home games?

THAT was a tradition. They would visit maybe 8-10 bars, play the fight songs, lewd versions of other school's fight songs (Hail to your fournicators, etc. is a classic and a half). And, of course, get a free draw in a plastic cup when they were done.

It wasn't just downtown bars. They always hit a couple of the dives on the edge of the campus near the Hamburg Inn amd Pagliai's Pizza like Tuck's and Magoo's. When they walked that narrow passage between Van Allen and Seashore halls to get to Linn Street the acoustics were fucking amazing.

Anyone know if the Iowa band still goes bar hopping on the night before home games?

THAT was a tradition. They would visit maybe 8-10 bars, play the fight songs, lewd versions of other school's fight songs (Hail to your fournicators, etc. is a classic and a half). And, of course, get a free draw in a plastic cup when they were done.

It wasn't just downtown bars. They always hit a couple of the dives on the edge of the campus near the Hamburg Inn amd Pagliai's Pizza like Tuck's and Magoo's. When they walked that narrow passage between Van Allen and Seashore halls to get to Linn Street the acoustics were fucking amazing.

Hail to the fornicators Hail to the masturbators is a song that could potentially make some people feel uncomfortable. Because no one should ever feel uncomfortable on a college campus I have been pushing the athletic department to ban that song for about 6 years. I think we're getting close.

Hail to the fornicators Hail to the masturbators is a song that could potentially make some people feel uncomfortable. Because no one should ever feel uncomfortable on a college campus I have been pushing the athletic department to ban that song for about 6 years. I think we're getting close.
The Cesspool of the East.

OK, here it is

Hail to you motherfuckers, hail to you old cocksuckers
Hail, Hail to Michigan, the school we'd love to lease.

Hail to you fornicators, hail to you masturbators
Hail, Hail to Michigan, the cesspool of the east!

Ah, the taxpayers' dollars at work in the name of higher education!