Iowa ranked #1 in the nation

feels like that game was like 32 years ago

Here's a freaky stat.

It was 25 years between #1 rankings in 1985 (60-85). Now here we are 32 years later and have yet to get back there. I certainly wouldn't have predicted that in 85. What was the highest pre-season ranking during the previous 32 years? I imagine at least one publication had to put us first????????????????????

Last edited:
Here's a freaky stat.

It was 25 years between #1 rankings in 1985 (60-85). Now here we are 32 years later and have yet to get back there. I certainly wouldn't have predicted that in 85. What was the highest pre-season ranking during the previous 32 years? I imagine at least one publication had to put us first????????????????????

"Sport" magazine, I believe, had the Hawks preseason #1 in 1988.

That was my first game as well. Went with my Grandfather and I'll never forget it.
My first game was a decade before that. Things were much less rosy in those days. Perhaps that is a beg reason why I am less likely to complain about things that some. It was pretty horrible to watch in the 70's...

Thanks for this Josh. Of course I remember the bootleg, and I remember that it seemed all year Long had ridiculous protection and could throw the out pattern to Happel and Helverson all day long.

But there are things I didn't remember--I was only 14 at the time. I did not remember that the Spartans put up more yards against the Hawks than any team other than (perhaps, I think it was close) UCLA. And I did not remember that Lorenzo White, Mark Ingram (Sr.), and Andre Rison all played on the same Mich St. team. Crazy! Although I do remember being extremely frustrated that Iowa didn't blow that team out. I guess at the time I just didn't appreciate the skill players they had, or the vulnerabilities that Hawkeye defense had, despite the stats they put up and the memorable performances they did give that season. Good times, good times. (Until the Rose Bowl dropsies!)

Latest posts