Iowa QB Development

blackgold

Thinking back on the development of Drew Tate from a sophomore to a senior and watching Stanzi's performance in the past two games, I can't help but wonder if our coaches are making our QB's too tentative. I'm a huge supporter of the Iowa football, the coaches and players, but am beginning to wonder if we don't make our young gun slingers too conservative in our system.

Granted, the numbers are better for Stanzi this year than last, but why have our last two 2-minute drills been complete disasters (NW and Wisc.). We didn't even get close.

For OSU - I challenge the Stanzi and the rest of the team to go out there and have fun... put the ball in the air and quit thinking about it so much. It is supposed to be a fun game. Just as in life, you have to take some calculated risk if you intend to succeed.

I don't think they make them more tenative, I believe they improve some things and forget others.

But, that's what happens when you don't have a designated QB coach.

I don't think they make them more tenative, I believe they improve some things and forget others.

But, that's what happens when you don't have a designated QB coach.

Please point out what coach you would like to see let go to make room for a dedicated QB coach?

Read Ken O'Keefe's bio...He is the QB coach! So...we do have a designated QB coach, just an FYI
I'm well aware that we have a QB coach in O'keefe. But he's the OC/QB Coach. He doesn't have all the time in the world to be with Stanzi.

Please point out what coach you would like to see let go to make room for a dedicated QB coach?

I'm not sure who I'd want to go. I'm just pointing out, that we don't have one person, that there one job, is too Coach QBs.

Last edited:
Easy.... let's stick to the point. Stanzi was sigificantly better last year in the 2 minute drill than this year. Tate was better when he was younger than he was later in his career at Iowa.

I know the QB coach has been debated ad nasuem on this board and others. I would prefer KOK just ran the offense and the QB coach be the guy that works on everything from mechanics to the guy being the intermediary between the QB and the OC.

Duffman point is valid........Maybe you can move some guys around to open up a spot for guy. Not sure what the NCAA regulations/bylaws state about the number of coaches you can have and even if Iowa is at the max.

Latest posts