Iowa QB Development 2 - Question for Jon

blackgold

With all due respect, what QB's during the Ferentz era have been significantly developed by our system as judged by overall play and the two minute drill? Stanzi has better efficiency and lower int's but can't seem to win games anymore. Also, Banks doesn't count - he was a juco transfer. Chander? Definitely not Tate.

Last year, Jon you wrote an article prediciting a national title for Iowa based on numerous factors of past championship teams. A leading factor was a returning QB for obvious reasons, experience, improved playmaking, etc. We just don't seem to be developing improved playmakers in this position anymore. Compare our QB development today to Hartlieb and Long for instance.

With all due respect, what QB's during the Ferentz era have been significantly developed by our system as judged by overall play and the two minute drill? Stanzi has better efficiency and lower int's but can't seem to win games anymore. Also, Banks doesn't count - he was a juco transfer. Chander? Definitely not Tate.

Last year, Jon you wrote an article prediciting a national title for Iowa based on numerous factors of past championship teams. A leading factor was a returning QB for obvious reasons, experience, improved playmaking, etc. We just don't seem to be developing improved playmakers in this position anymore. Compare our QB development today to Hartlieb and Long for instance.

Spot on Tate became a robot and stopped playing football and Stanzi has throws less INT but has not made plays when needed.

You guys kill me. Your quarterbacks have generally gotten better but there have been material changes to other positions over the course of your QBs' careers that have made your records get worse. You cannot lose guys like Moeaki, Spievey, Bulaga, Angerer, Wegher and Edds and expect to get better unless you are Ohio State or Oklahoma and have 4 and 5 star guys three deep at nearly every position. You guys lost to Northwestern last year, got worse in terms of talent and then lost again this year - I don't see why that is surprising.

okeefe4prez - I'm fine with the loss, but thanks for coming over here to rub it in. That was not the point of the discussion. Of the players you mentioned, only three were on offense and have been replaced with very capable players, with the loss of Moeaki being the most relevant player. The issue is bigger than with this team alone though.

You could make an argument for Kyle McCann. Don't know how strong that argument would be. There is an article out there right after Tate left, where he was interviewed and he vented some of his frustration he had with the Iowa program.

Bill Synder was a good OC and you had Patterson who was equally good QB coach. Some will argue that changed when Synder took the KSU job and Patterson became the OC.

I don't think I really answered your question in any of your 'QB development' threads.....just throwin stuff out there.:)

You guys kill me. Your quarterbacks have generally gotten better but there have been material changes to other positions over the course of your QBs' careers that have made your records get worse. You cannot lose guys like Moeaki, Spievey, Bulaga, Angerer, Wegher and Edds and expect to get better unless you are Ohio State or Oklahoma and have 4 and 5 star guys three deep at nearly every position. You guys lost to Northwestern last year, got worse in terms of talent and then lost again this year - I don't see why that is surprising.

Who are you? Are you a NW fan a Hawkeye fan or what? :confused:

okeefe4prez - I'm fine with the loss, but thanks for coming over here to rub it in. That was not the point of the discussion. Of the players you mentioned, only three were on offense and have been replaced with very capable players, with the loss of Moeaki being the most relevant player. The issue is bigger than with this team alone though.

Yes, but rolling over players even on defense can have a big impact on the offense. Last year, your offense could generally content if it had a one possession lead in the fourth quarter because Edds and Angerer had a sixth sense for the ball in clutch situations and because Spievey shut down half of the field.

In 2005, when your whole D-line turned over, your opponents had much better time of possession and scored a lot more, putting more pressure on the offense. Iowa is simply not an OSU caliber program that can lose a handful of guys to the NFL and have the next guys in step up and be nearly as dominant as the guys who left.

Yes, but rolling over players even on defense can have a big impact on the offense. Last year, your offense could generally content if it had a one possession lead in the fourth quarter because Edds and Angerer had a sixth sense for the ball in clutch situations and because Spievey shut down half of the field.

In 2005, when your whole D-line turned over, your opponents had much better time of possession and scored a lot more, putting more pressure on the offense. Iowa is simply not an OSU caliber program that can lose a handful of guys to the NFL and have the next guys in step up and be nearly as dominant as the guys who left.

Okeefe is becoming very annoying.......however this accurate.

Who are you? Are you a NW fan a Hawkeye fan or what? :confused:

I am a former Iowa fan who is moving to Evanston in a few weeks. I bought a nice place downtown and am getting it fixed up a little bit. I am a current Hawk season ticket holder but I declared before the game that if Iowa lost to NU yet again, I was going to buy NU season tickets next year and start going to those games instead of Iowa games (which is also partially in response to the Gestapo-like tactics of the ICPD on gamedays now).

I think Fitz is the best coach in the B10 given what he does year and year out with the tight academic requirements up at NU and I am impressed with the fact that he doesn't recruit guys like Bonecrusher Williams, Dougie Fresh, Satterfield, etc. who cause problems around town or end up as wards of the state. Being a NU fan is good, they never have any expectations so if they win, great, if they lose, meh, so what, they're Northwestern.

I'm done donating $400 a seat to contribute to the salaries of a coaching staff that runs a team that got rolled by Indiana and Western Michigan back in 2007, continually loses to NU, etc.

I love Big Ten football and I'll still get to see all the stars of the Big Ten come through my hometown but I won't have to drive over 7 hours round trip, pay $300 a night for a motel room, and drop $1500 on my two seats.

I think Fitz is the best coach in the B10 given what he does year and year out with the tight academic requirements up at NU .

This is the single most spot on statement of the meltdown and the most clear answer to the question hawkeye nation is struggling with, "why do we continue to lose to NW?"

Let me add something else - I still love the U of Iowa and if they revise the football ticket policy so that I can allocate my ticket donation to an academic pursuit that will help youngsters get the same opportunities that I was fortunate enough to have received from the U of Iowa, there is a chance I will retain my tickets, but if the cash continues to line the pockets of Ferentz, Barta, O'Keefe, Erb and paying Todd Lickliter's severance or whatever, I would rather just spend my money elsewhere.

Spending over $3 million a year should get you a guy like Tressel who loses one game they should win like every three years or something, not a team that perpetually has problems with Indiana and Northwestern. Ferentz has done very well in terms of finding diamonds in the rough and developing guys, but given Fitz's track record, he has done fairly well in that regard, too, and he and his staff are actually somewhat competent at making decisions during the course of the game, which was evidenced by the fact they can take unheralded recruits and be fairly competitive in B10 play despite significant disadvantages in terms of facilities and entrance requirements. Football wise, NU should be in the same boat Duke and Vanderbilt (elite, very small private schools), but they are actually pretty good.

I'll agree that Fitz is a great coach. Since you have found a new home, new team, might start looking for a new forum and a new handle ;) . Have fun being a cat.

Stanzi was a lightly recruited QB out of Ohio with offers from just a few mid majors. He was broke into the starting lineup as a sophmore showing a knack for winning games. As a Junior he lead our team to a first ever BCS bowl win. As a senior he's 2nd in the nation in QB efficiency and is on track for throwing the most TD's in school history.

That strikes me as pretty solid development.

I am a former Iowa fan who is moving to Evanston in a few weeks. I bought a nice place downtown and am getting it fixed up a little bit. I am a current Hawk season ticket holder but I declared before the game that if Iowa lost to NU yet again, I was going to buy NU season tickets next year and start going to those games instead of Iowa games (which is also partially in response to the Gestapo-like tactics of the ICPD on gamedays now).

I think Fitz is the best coach in the B10 given what he does year and year out with the tight academic requirements up at NU and I am impressed with the fact that he doesn't recruit guys like Bonecrusher Williams, Dougie Fresh, Satterfield, etc. who cause problems around town or end up as wards of the state. Being a NU fan is good, they never have any expectations so if they win, great, if they lose, meh, so what, they're Northwestern.

I'm done donating $400 a seat to contribute to the salaries of a coaching staff that runs a team that got rolled by Indiana and Western Michigan back in 2007, continually loses to NU, etc.

I love Big Ten football and I'll still get to see all the stars of the Big Ten come through my hometown but I won't have to drive over 7 hours round trip, pay $300 a night for a motel room, and drop $1500 on my two seats.

Fairweather fan. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Okeefe

It's fine if you want to switch allegiances, that is your right of course.
But can I ask why you felt the need to come here and rub our noses in this fact? I hope that your new Northwestern family heartily embraces as you as one of their own, and thanks for kicking your former fellow Hawks when we're down.

Enjoy Evanston, and please don't ever come back here.

Latest posts