Iowa-PSU: What Did We Learn?

I say Iowa needs to grow a pair and man up! I'm tired of this we expect to much from our football team. No team in the SEC thinks this way so why should we? Why do we settle for mediocrity. Why should we bring down our expectations of our team? It's pathetic. If you were a mediocre manager in a business and making 3 million your *** would be toast in no time. This is a business people and the floor we walk on is crumbling below our feet! I at least think Iowa should be competing in the B1G championship game every year no matter what. If we can't share this as a common goal then we need a new staff. They need to be doing everything possible to make this happen. Instead I see them hindering it at every chance. Iowa is embarrassing this year and it's far from over. What happens when we fall to a Minnesota or an Indiana at home this year. Are we just to turn our shoulder and look the other way again and hope for another crappy bowl game again. I want to be competing in a BCS bowl game more years than not and have possible BCS Championship shots.Sincerely, A truly disgruntled Hawkeye fan
unfortunately performance is not expected from ceos any more, just to collect $$$$$ and retire.

Historically, in the Ferentz era, Iowa's best chances of winning games have been because the defense was strong against an opponent.

Iowa's defense has traditionally been strong against running teams that are 'feeble' in the passing game - B1G teams like Penn State, Michigan State, previously Wisconsin, and probably Nebraska, for example. Have you noticed how many times Iowa has won against these type of teams?

Iowa's defense has been traditionally weak against B1G passing teams like Northwestern, Indiana, and Purdue, for example - some call it bend but don't break pass defense.
IMO, this is a mistake in scheme. Have you noticed how many times Iowa has lost or almost lost against these teams?

Iowa's defense has been good against B1G spread running teams like Michigan, tOSU, and Illinois until Iowa's defense loses their gap responsiblities. Actually, if Iowa's defense lost their gap responsibilities against a running offense like Nebraska's, they wouldn't be good. As a matter of fact, after the first half of last year's game against Michigan, Michigan turned into a passing offense and almost beat Iowa.

IMO, this says at least three things about Iowa's defense (IMO, traditionally, the main reason why Iowa wins):

(1) Iowa stacks the LOS to be a stopper against the run.
(2) Iowa's pass defense isn't very good - it's trying to get better.
(3) Iowa's defense is unathletic.
To clarify: Some players on Iowa's defense are athletic but Iowa's defensive schemes force Iowa's defense to be unathletic.

This year, Iowa's defensive line is, not so good. No pressure on the QB. Being handled by opponent's offensive lines.
Iowa's linebackers are in transition.
Iowa's DBs are a little better than normal.
Iowa's defense is not strong this year.

Iowa has to rely on its offense.
Is Iowa's offense good - can Vandy, McNutt, and Coker carry this team?
I hope the Penn State game didn't answer that question.

What's going to make Iowa better?
RECRUITING.

Last edited:
I say Iowa needs to grow a pair and man up! I'm tired of this we expect to much from our football team. No team in the SEC thinks this way so why should we? Why do we settle for mediocrity. Why should we bring down our expectations of our team? It's pathetic. If you were a mediocre manager in a business and making 3+ million your *** would be toast in no time. This is a business people and the floor we walk on is crumbling below our feet! I at least think Iowa should be competing in the B1G championship game every year no matter what. If we can't share this as a common goal then we need a new staff. They need to be doing everything possible to make this happen. Instead I see them hindering it at every chance. Iowa is embarrassing this year and it's far from over. What happens when we fall to a Minnesota or an Indiana at home this year. Are we just to turn our shoulder and look the other way again and hope for another crappy bowl game again. I want to be competing in a BCS bowl game more years than not and have possible BCS Championship shots.

Sincerely,
A truly disgruntled Hawkeye fan
And the thing that bothers me is after we lose to an Indiana, Purdue or Minnesota, our coach will spew the same old bs...they are good, well coached, blah blah blah. Grow a pair, take responsibility for not having your team ready agains't an inferior opponent. This PSU game was very very winnable. My god they scored 13 freaking points. To let the air out of the ball at the end of the first half is awful. Possesions were at a premium and we gave up, put salt and pepper on those 2 timouts and ate them. You miss 100% of the shots you never take.

The 3K of us Iowa fans at State College certainly didn't get our money's worth.

Same conservative offense.
Defense can't make a stop when it needs to. Allows teams to drive 85+ yards.
Mental mistakes after a by-week and the 5th game of the season.
Kicker can't get it past their 10.
100% agree, again, we puss-out at the end of a half and waste timeouts and opportunities.

One score. ONE, and PSU would have folded.

We had no business losing to that team. None.

The PSU announcers on the radio and the fans we were around quite frankly were relieved we played worse than PSU did. That's the true bottom line.

Defense- Not so good, Offense- Inconsistent. Lesson learned- There should be literally no expectations going into a given game.

Defense- Not so good, Offense- Inconsistent. Lesson learned- There should be literally no expectations going into a given game.

Totally agree. I stopped predicting with this team after ISU and will do so no more...I recommend others do the same.

The 3K of us Iowa fans at State College certainly didn't get our money's worth.

Same conservative offense.
Defense can't make a stop when it needs to. Allows teams to drive 85+ yards.
Mental mistakes after a by-week and the 5th game of the season.
Kicker can't get it past their 10.
100% agree, again, we puss-out at the end of a half and waste timeouts and opportunities.

One score. ONE, and PSU would have folded.

We had no business losing to that team. None.

The PSU announcers on the radio and the fans we were around quite frankly were relieved we played worse than PSU did. That's the true bottom line.

Offensively we played bad, real bad. Defensively I thought we were ok, but they were pretty bad offensively. Overall, a very miserable game.

Jon Miller, who is this "GameFilm" person? I'm sure there are some of you who enjoy this segment each week, but I'm not one of those fans. Perhaps, we could put this segment up for a vote against something that may be more interesting, like quotes from our coaches, players, opposing coaches/players, etc. Even additional analysis from you, retired coaches, i.e Jim Walden, former players/current broadcaster, i.e. Ed Podolak would be interesting. Let me know your thoughts on my great suggestions!!!!

G

G

Jon Miller, who is this "GameFilm" person? I'm sure there are some of you who enjoy this segment each week, but I'm not one of those fans. Perhaps, we could put this segment up for a vote against something that may be more interesting, like quotes from our coaches, players, opposing coaches/players, etc. Even additional analysis from you, retired coaches, i.e Jim Walden, former players/current broadcaster, i.e. Ed Podolak would be interesting. Let me know your thoughts on my great suggestions!!!!

G

G
Well maybe you'd like a knitting b via the message boards too.
Iowa has plenty of blue hairs to get something started for ya.
Gamefilm gives explanations to level likely higher than anyone you lst a possibles.

Latest posts