Iowa Press Release

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
IOWA CITY, IA – Sophomore running back Jewel Hampton has decided to leave the University of Iowa. And, sophomore running back Adam Robinson will not be part of the Hawkeye team that makes the trip to Arizona for the Insight Bowl. The announcement was made today by Head Football Coach Kirk Ferentz.

“Jewel Hampton has decided to leave the team and plans to transfer to another school to complete his degree and finish his career. We wish him the best of success in the future,â€￾ said Ferentz.

“While Adam has been cleared medically, he will not be participating in the upcoming Insight Bowl game as a result of failing to comply with team expectations and policies. Adam will have the option to rejoin the team when classes resume in January.â€￾

Hampton, a 5-9, 210-pounder from Indianapolis, IN, has been plagued by injury problems during his three years at Iowa. He has rushed for 577 yards and scored eight touchdowns as a Hawkeye. He was injured in the Arizona game earlier this season and was lost for the season following surgery.

Robinson, a 5-9, 205-pound back from Des Moines, IA, led the team in rushing with 941 yards and 10 touchdowns on the ground.

I'm disappointed, although not terribly surprised, by the news on Hampton. Adam's news is a surprise. My expectations for his return next return are not terribly high at this point.

You can never, ever have too many running backs if you are Iowa.

Any relation to DJK not starting v. MN and AROB having 'academic indigestion' v. MN? Neither one started, now neither playing v. MO??

This is almost becoming a joke. When is there self accountability? While I will put some blame at the top, I am struggling to understand these athletes. Commitment, dedication, hard work and accountability. If your not up to it, don't sign on at Iowa.

These guys are attending one of the top educational and athletic institutions in the country and participating in a world class conference like the B10 and they could give two sh*ts about either. I am at a loss.

I am sick and tired of being sick and tired.

Last edited:
By any measure and every measure, this season has been a failure. Barta needs to hold people accountable, however that might look, including himself.

For whatever it is worth...I just heard from a Hawkeye "insider" that a random drug test was conducted over the weekend for 40-50 players. Apparently, a couple (maybe more) declined to take the test. I'll let you decide which two decided not to pee. Unbelievable.

For whatever it is worth...I just heard from a Hawkeye "insider" that a random drug test was conducted over the weekend for 40-50 players. Apparently, a couple (maybe more) declined to take the test. I'll let you decide which two decided not to pee. Unbelievable.

I wonder if any of the reporters in the news conference will actually have a sack and ask about this tomorrow, or if they'll just do what they have all year and listen as ferentz tows the company line

By any measure and every measure, this season has been a failure. Barta needs to hold people accountable, however that might look, including himself.

I'm beginning to think Barta is just like Adam West on Family Guy....

2257525109_3593a573b1.jpg

I can't put this on Barta or KF (for the most part). This sh*t is up to each student athlete. Smoke weed in the offseason, if you must. Either that or be a stoner student that pays their own way.

I wonder if any of the reporters in the news conference will actually have a sack and ask about this tomorrow, or if they'll just do what they have all year and listen as ferentz tows the company line

Whether they ask or not won't matter. The most they'll get is, "We're not going to comment any further, as this is an internal situation." Any coach who says "Yup, we tested a bunch of guys and these are the ones who refused to test" will lose the trust of his team in a hurry.

What possible benefit to coach Ferentz and the program would he gain by giving telling reporters all of this sensitive internal information?

If there's an infection, you treat it quickly. If rules are broken, penalties are incurred. If someone is disgruntled because they're not receiving favored treatment so be it. Maybe, just maybe, this coach still believes that the program is bigger than any individuals.

I don't know what further, if any, negative news there might be in the future but I remain convinced that Ferentz and this program will do just fine and perhaps even better after these matters are addressed in full. A leader addresses these issues and doesn't ignore them or let it fester.

Hopefully Robinson will chose to remain a member of the team. The opportunity will be there for others (current players and potential recruits) to show their desire and ability to be contributors to a noted program with a strong following.

The current Hawks have an opportunity to make a statement at their bowl game and move on to building a promising 2011. Ferentz and staff need to show they can have this team ready to play in AZ.......that is on them.

Latest posts