Iowa Post-Spring Position Analysis: TE

This group has the makings of another Fant/Hockenson-type impact.

With the limitations we have at WR, I would be shocked if the offense doesn't rely heavily on two-TE sets the majority of the year.

If McNamara is healthy and the OL takes a (big) leap forward, our TEs should shine.

Agreed that TE should be a strength, as it usually is.

Agreed that the success of the offense largely rests on how much the OL improves over last season. Saying they must improve is meaningless. They have nowhere to go but up. Its how much they improve that will tell the tale.

I agree that depth at WR is certainly limited. That said, I think our two top guys in Vines and Ragaini are legitimate starting WRs in this league and will be fine. I suspect Anderson and Bostwick can be good if healthy. Hopefully we have a youngster or two step up as sometimes happens. Health and depth are the issues in that room. There is sufficient talent for a good QB if the top guys can stay on the field.

I think it almost has to be in the playbook for double tights with the questions about our receivers. Fant and Hockensen wreaked havoc on defenses. And don't sleep on Ostrenga. I think it was an interview with Lachey boasting about how good Ostrenga's hands were.

I definitely think with past and continued success at this position, and the placement in the NFL, that Iowa should not have an issue with recruiting. Let's hope for a solid year from this position. I can see McNamara targeting a lot. That tight end seam was a favorite when Fant and Hockensen were there.

If McNamara continues throwing with good accuracy, the tight ends will eat (as the kids say).

This group has the makings of another Fant/Hockenson-type impact.

With the limitations we have at WR, I would be shocked if the offense doesn't rely heavily on two-TE sets the majority of the year.

If McNamara is healthy and the OL takes a (big) leap forward, our TEs should shine.
The OL is definitely the question mark this year, no idea how they'll pan out.

Iowa was in two TE sets over 60% of the time last year. I think that trend continues. Let's not forget we lost our FB and have a walkon TE as the #1 FB. I could see developing one of the TEs into more of an H back. Old Brian Ferentz will have to muster up all of that creative set design that he is known for this season!