Iowa played 5 FB games on TV the 1st 15 Years of my life

The first 15 years of my life TV had not been invented. I'm 78. The first TV I ever saw was, I think, called an oscilliscope (SP?) and that was in Iowa City during orientation for my brother who was 4 years older than me. I spent Sat. afternoons glued to the radio listening to the Hawks. It's no wonder I love the BTN. Some Saturdays prior to that I had to drive 40 miles to a sports bar to see the Hawks. I sometimes wonder what today's 15 year old kids will be seeing when they are 78.

The first 15 years of my life TV had not been invented. I'm 78. The first TV I ever saw was, I think, called an oscilliscope (SP?) and that was in Iowa City during orientation for my brother who was 4 years older than me. I spent Sat. afternoons glued to the radio listening to the Hawks. It's no wonder I love the BTN. Some Saturdays prior to that I had to drive 40 miles to a sports bar to see the Hawks. I sometimes wonder what today's 15 year old kids will be seeing when they are 78.

Images imprinted into the brain.

I still remember watching 50's Rose Bowl games in Black and White, no color TV's at the time.

You're older if you remember:
Only one Big Ten was permitted to go to a bowl, that being the Rose Bowl.
Limited substitution football and two way players.
The Big Ten only permitted 30 scholarships per year when the NCAA allowed 45.
Notre Dame vs Iowa football games
Limited TV broadcast of college football games.

I grew up with my ear glued to the radio listening to games. When I became a teenage in the 60s and got out of the Navy in the early 70s, we would drive gravel roads with beer and listen to games on the radio. We would often just stop on bridges, get out of the car and sit around with the radio turned up. Farmers would often pull up and just sit there and listen with us (and drink a beer). We wouldn't know the farmers but it didn't matter. During commercials or halftime they would tell stories about the area. Sometimes their friends would stop and join us and listen to the game. Then someone would say they had to leave and everyone would just leave and we would mosey on down the road at 20 or 25 listening to game in no particular direction...unless we needed more beer, then we headed for the nearest town.

Then I moved to Iowa City and instead of going to games, my friends and I just continued to do roadtrips on Saturdays for ball games. We would go to Wisconsin to buy a case of Line and Kugels and listen to the game...or just drive gravel roads. Sometimes we would go tailgate early Saturday morning AND THEN hit the roads.

When we got back toasted we would watch the games. Great memories. We went to some games but decided it was more fun driving around and listening to Zabel and (or) the Big Shoe...I guess it is hard to beat tradition.

In the current day, we fans b---h & complain if we don't even get ONE game on TV. When the Big10 Network started, fans scrambled to find programming that would pick up the Big10, especially the cable subscribers, including me.

Back in the day fans were lucky to get one game a year on TV.

It really puts things in perspective.

Last edited:
The following message is brought to you by MADD

I grew up with my ear glued to the radio listening to games. When I became a teenage in the 60s and got out of the Navy in the early 70s, we would drive gravel roads with beer and listen to games on the radio. We would often just stop on bridges, get out of the car and sit around with the radio turned up. Farmers would often pull up and just sit there and listen with us (and drink a beer). We wouldn't know the farmers but it didn't matter. During commercials or halftime they would tell stories about the area. Sometimes their friends would stop and join us and listen to the game. Then someone would say they had to leave and everyone would just leave and we would mosey on down the road at 20 or 25 listening to game in no particular direction...unless we needed more beer, then we headed for the nearest town.

Then I moved to Iowa City and instead of going to games, my friends and I just continued to do roadtrips on Saturdays for ball games. We would go to Wisconsin to buy a case of Line and Kugels and listen to the game...or just drive gravel roads. Sometimes we would go tailgate early Saturday morning AND THEN hit the roads.

When we got back toasted we would watch the games. Great memories. We went to some games but decided it was more fun driving around and listening to Zabel and (or) the Big Shoe...I guess it is hard to beat tradition.

I sort of miss the days of listening to games on the radio. In fact I've found myself getting back to that more and more lately. There's just something about listening to the game while fishing or working out in the yard. I almost enjoy it more than watching :)

My childhood Saturdays consisted of listening to the Hawks on 1040 and cutting firewood in the timber with my family. This was basically an every weekend thing during the early 80's. Glad we finally got to go to a game once in a while back then.

Gravel roads and drinking. Was there anything more Iowa than that in the 70's (well 80's for me)

Probably shouldn't have been doing it, but growing up in small town Iowa it was the way we rolled.

Never got too drunk, only drank beer. If we thought whoever was driving had had too much, we basically picked the next soberest designated driver by running pseudo drunk tests. Walk a straight line, count on fingers ... 1,2,3,4,5...5,4,3,2,1, etc.

Don't think I'd try it today. Nor should I.

Gravel roads and drinking. Was there anything more Iowa than that in the 70's (well 80's for me)

Probably shouldn't have been doing it, but growing up in small town Iowa it was the way we rolled.

Never got too drunk, only drank beer. If we thought whoever was driving had had too much, we basically picked the next soberest designated driver by running pseudo drunk tests. Walk a straight line, count on fingers ... 1,2,3,4,5...5,4,3,2,1, etc.

Don't think I'd try it today. Nor should I.

Hey Trapper, what you're supposed to do if you're "unfit" to drive (aside from car key roulette) is sit low in the car seat, hands at 10 & 2, and then put your thumbs up on the wheel, be sure to keep one thumb on the center line and one on shoulder line point being to keep the vehicle aimed on the correct side of the road between the lines. You may need to close one eye depending on your situation but "I've heard" this is a pretty soilid method. I learned this from my Dad back in the 80's who had learned it from his cousin back in the 70's and I guess it's never failed. I've heard what's old is new again so why not try it in the 00's.

One note, I do not recommend trying this in IC cause its too well lit; if a cop sees you cruising with your thumbs up and one eye closed he'll definitely know what's up; I think they get trained to spot thumbs up drivers in like week 3 of police training. Hopefully I don't have to do this too many times on 380 on late Saturday afternoons this fall.

Wyld Stallions Rule, Go Hawks!!!

Hey Trapper, what you're supposed to do if you're "unfit" to drive (aside from car key roulette) is sit low in the car seat, hands at 10 & 2, and then put your thumbs up on the wheel, be sure to keep one thumb on the center line and one on shoulder line point being to keep the vehicle aimed on the correct side of the road between the lines. You may need to close one eye depending on your situation but "I've heard" this is a pretty soilid method. I learned this from my Dad back in the 80's who had learned it from his cousin back in the 70's and I guess it's never failed. I've heard what's old is new again so why not try it in the 00's.

One note, I do not recommend trying this in IC cause its too well lit; if a cop sees you cruising with your thumbs up and one eye closed he'll definitely know what's up; I think they get trained to spot thumbs up drivers in like week 3 of police training. Hopefully I don't have to do this too many times on 380 on late Saturday afternoons this fall.

Wyld Stallions Rule, Go Hawks!!!

This method has one major flaw. With both thumbs up @ 10 & 2, how do you hold your beer??

Don't think I'll try this method on the road...

Although I may try it the next time I mow the yard.

Fall Saturday afternoons (1:05 pm onward) was totally dedicated to Zabel in the 60s and 70s when I was growing up. You could listen to the re-broadcast at 10:30 pm.

When I moved back to Iowa the first time in 1986, I was delighted you could watched Iowa on tape delay at 10:30 on KCRG after the news. Hog heaven!

We watched a black and white TV until I was 11 (1969)....I came home from school one day and bingo, dad had bought a color TV!

In the current day, we fans b---h & complain if we don't even get ONE game on TV. When the Big10 Network started, fans scrambled to find programming that would pick up the Big10, especially the cable subscribers, including me.

Back in the day fans were lucky to get one game a year on TV.

It really puts things in perspective.

I remember the Big Ten Game Of The Week, that was it, one televised game per week for the entire conference.