Iowa picked 9th next season

I think we will be in the middle tier and not the bottom tier. I would be VERY disappointed if we only get 6 conference wins next year.

I predict we finish 6th, we won't lose the road games to PSU and Northwestern and the home loss to the corncobs won't happen again. That gives us 3 more wins, if we still have home and home with those teams.

I predict we finish 6th, we won't lose the road games to PSU and Northwestern and the home loss to the corncobs won't happen again. That gives us 3 more wins, if we still have home and home with those teams.

I'm not sure Iowa sweeps Minnesota next year (Mbakwe is back, and the Hawkeyes didn't see him this year), or Wisconsin (just because Iowa won up there this year doesn't mean it will happen next year. That's still a tough place to play).

We go from 8 wins to 6? I think all 5 guys fran has coming in will push for minutes. That equals a better team.

I see more than 6 wins. But keep in mind half of Iowa's 8 wins last season came from sweeping Minnesota and Wisconsin. Can't expect that again. 2-2 would be solid. Split with Purdue next year and hope to sweep Nebrasa and the difference is made up. Then you still have four games against NW and PSU. Sweep those and you have 8 wins, split and it's six. Sweeping one and splitting with the other gives you 7. Illinois at home this year, need to win that. Also have home and home with Indiana, while at OSU and Michigan with MSU at home.

For me, it's about doing it in OOC next year. Must beat ISU at home and UNI in DSM. Can't have a Campbell-like loss.

Get to 10w in OOC and win 8-9 in B1G and win B1G tourney opener and that's a shot at a 10 or 11 seed.

no way we backslide next year, that's just stupid.

We could. We lose our best player, who was our best scorer and defender, we have a bunch of question marks in key positions. We're going to be younger, which means not as good on the road.

Not likely, but it wouldn't shock me either.

We could. We lose our best player, who was our best scorer and defender, and a team leader, we have a bunch of question marks in key positions. We're going to be younger, which means not as good on the road.

Not likely, but it wouldn't shock me either.

amplified

Hope to split with Neb next year? Damn well better sweep them. They lost their top 5 or do right? (yes I know they swept us last yr)

Hope to split with Neb next year? Damn well better sweep them. They lost their top 5 or do right? (yes I know they swept us last yr)

They beat us at home and then we smoked them at their place. I recall their leading scoring on senior day layed an egg and was crying on the bench. He was prolly more upset over wasting 4 years of his life in a corncob jersey rather then the loss to Iowa.

Can't expect to sweep Minn and Wisc again, but can't expect to lose to Nebraska at home or to Penn State on the road either.

They beat us at home and then we smoked them at their place. I recall their leading scoring on senior day layed an egg and was crying on the bench. He was prolly more upset over wasting 4 years of his life in a corncob jersey rather then the loss to Iowa.

Bo Spencer only played for Nebraska for one year, so that terrific burn on Nebraska is a little inaccurate.

Iowa 9th, wow, you gotta love that prediction...under the radar is the best place to be, except for the fact that the BIG knows what to expect.
Here is the thing on losing Gatens...that is all Iowa loses of significance. It is different than losing Cole, Iowa had nobody to come in and even play his position with the effort and hustle. This year Iowa had to turn to McCabe, who is not that player that is tough and can defend a bigger guy. Nobody on the roster could.
Crucify me or not, but Oglesby is going to be just fine, he will have some struggles defensively, but I think he has a great scoring year around 13 ppg. Also, he got to watch and learn from Gatens as well, big difference than the past. Then you have Ingram behind him, but if Oglesby performs well then 15 minutes or less for Ingram and a great opportunity to not be forced into action.
Leadership will be there; Marble is very smart and I think us as fans saw him grow-up during the season. He seemed a bit "me-first" as a freshman at times, but when things didn't go well for him individually, he still just played ball. Gesell will be a leader from day one as well, he has a presence and is fearless.
Having two true PG's on the roster is going to help a lot in the leadership area, rather than wondering if Marble was going to have to play three positions every game, it settles that. Don't forget Aaron White also stepping up as a leader, he plays with an exuberance and joy that I wish a lot more players played with.
Now, back to the 9th place prediction. Iowa has legit players back...Purdue not so much, so a sweep is very possible, at worst a split. Illinois at Iowa and new coach gives Iowa a good chance to win. I don't see Iowa sweeping Minnesota and Wisconsin again for one reason, those teams will be looking for payback at home especially, it is just rare Iowa does that even in a better year. So, Iowa can split with Purdue, Minnesota, Wisconsin for three wins. Sweep NW, PSU and Neb that is nine wins. Beat Illinois at home and that is 10 wins. No matter what happens in the rest it still isn't 9th place. Iowa could lose at NW if they are hot, but I have a feeling that with a little more depth and experience that Iowa will play pretty inspired against MSU and that may be the signature win of the season.
Iowa must play better from game one in the non-conference and get at least 10 wins and beat Wichita State in their tournament. Iowa State is going to be decent, even without Royce, but that is a huge game to see how far Iowa has really come.

Iowa will a much better team next year.

We will have two point guards instead of none, a real center who can actually put a body on other teams bigs. White and Marble will both be all league caliber, Basabe should at least be able to reproduce what he was doing the second half of the big10 season. McCabe and Ogelsby will be solid role players.

One of the "other three" freshman is bound to step up and be better than advertised too.

Latest posts