Iowa Offensive line grades thru 4 games:

OK, I'm not GameFilm.........is he on HN any more?

However, I have watched all 4 IOWA HAWKEYE games and thru 4 games, here is what
I have observed.

LT: Boone Myers: A- Admirable job as a rookie starter
LG: Sean Welsh A- Doing a great job inside
C: Austin Blyhe B+ He can and will play better
RG: Jordan Walsh A He's playing terrific; looking like Marshall Yanda
RT: Ike Boettger A- Looking like he could be next Robert Gallery

Your thoughts ???

#goHawks

I have observed.

Your thoughts ???

#goHawks

Hats off to anyone who can grade out an OLine. It takes a lot of play/rewind play/rewind and knowledge to do that. Its fascinating. I can't do it.

Better then expected for sure but they wil have some games in conference where they look bad, when that happens let's remember they are inexperienced.

way better than I (and 80% of this board) expected them to do based on what was heard out of camp and what was seen during the open practices.

It might be worth noting that, if I recall correctly, Iowa has been using 8 guys on the O-line rotating them around. This should help when an injury does occur and to maybe keep the O-line fresh.

They, to me at least, have looked serviceable and have been improving every week.

When grading an entire line, one must consider the opponent. I would grade the Hawk Online a C thus far. If they remain healthy, I would anticipate by game 10 that the line will be graded B. If, big if, the line really dominates opposing d-lines in the games ahead, they may grade out an A. Our quarterback has certainly helped the offense with his ability to tuck-and run compared to taking sacks, as our previous q.b. did or throwing balls away. We will learn more during conference play. (Starting with Badgers)

Even before I read this post, I had removed my hat in appreciation of the efforts of the offensive line.

They have played well so far. Keep it up, boys.

I have observed.

Your thoughts ???

#goHawks

I don't think they can be legitimately ranked as high as you have them. If they had five all conference first team players I would think each would rank an "A". So, how could there be so little difference between that and how you currently rank them? I just think you probably are not qualified to make a proper assessment the way a trained coach or scout would. I am willing to bet someone with those credentials would not rank them that high.

And if Boettger was looking a lot like the next Robert Gallery, he would be on the left side of the line.

Nothing against you. I'm just saying...

When grading an entire line, one must consider the opponent. I would grade the Hawk Online a C thus far.

A C is flat-out ridiculous. This offensive line, although expected to struggle has Produced FAR more offense than last year's line that had

2 NFL players at tackle. No lower than a B+ for any offensive lineman, thus far.

#goHawks

I only watched the UNT game live. From what I recall, Iowa's OL wasn't dominant and didn't blow unt's DL off the los with any frequency. The blowout score was a result of having much better skill players (at qb/te/receivers/rbs). Conversely, Iowa's DL didn't outclass (if measured by penetration, tackles behind los, sacks etc) the unt OL either but our back seven played awesome.

It appears that Iowa's small and beautiful are doing outstanding jobs but the big uglies are still gelling. For Iowa, this is a somewhat unusual recipe for success.

Coming back to the OL. Wisky's defense is easily comparable to Iowa's and our tackles will be going up against ends that are comparable to Ott and Meier. Let's hope Myers and Boettger have improved significantly over the last 4-games and hold their own.

I'm thrilled with the results so far but the grades given out are overly flattering.

Wisconsin will be the ultimate test. Protect Beathard and we win the game. Allow sacks and we lose. It will be that simple

When grading an entire line, one must consider the opponent. I would grade the Hawk Online a C thus far. If they remain healthy, I would anticipate by game 10 that the line will be graded B. If, big if, the line really dominates opposing d-lines in the games ahead, they may grade out an A. Our quarterback has certainly helped the offense with his ability to tuck-and run compared to taking sacks, as our previous q.b. did or throwing balls away. We will learn more during conference play. (Starting with Badgers)

It's a factor, but GameFilm and other pro scouts look much more at individual technique, independent of opponent. Would love to see his grade. No real notes on Twitter beyond "Well, known issue for Iowa is their OT depth, showed up on that series, 8 [weigers] got whacked a couple of times."

Latest posts