Iowa Offensive Coaches

AreWeThereYet

For what it is worth, this is now a veteran group off offensive coaches. There are no new offensive coaches this year. They also have a two year starter at quarterback. None of the coaches should be learning Iowa's system for the first time through, and they should have a few things figured out by now .

Brian Ferentz - Third year as Offensive coordinator and tight ends coach.

Tim Polasek - Third year as Offensive line coach.

Kelton Copland - Fourth year as receivers coach.

Ken O'Keefe - Third year as quarterbacks coach. Add to this more than ten previous years at offensive coordinator and quarterback coach.

Derick Foster - second year as running backs coach.

It was obvious that the offensive line worked on pass protection a lot last season. I would hope there is some carryover on that this year and pass protection remains good even though they have a redshirt freshman at center. Both starting tackles and two guards have extensive experience.

Run blocking seems to be getting some attention this spring. Last year, with three inexperienced running backs and a new running backs coach, was a sub par year for the running game. They need to execute the running game better, but also get the backs involved in the passing game. They need to figure out how to get running backs free in space otherwise the running game is going to be bottled up like last year.

The passing game loses quite a few good targets this year, with Hockenson, Fant, and Easley moving on. They have two serviceable receivers with experience with ISM & Brandon Smith. Three years after Greg Davis moving on as offensive coordinator, they should have talented underclassmen fully familiarized with the current system and ready to go. The coaching staff should have good ideas on how to utilize them as well. I would hope that there isn't a big drop-off with the talent that is moving on. This far in with an experienced coaching staff, there is no excuse for the passing offense to look clueless this year.

Last edited:
The passing game loses quite a few good targets this year, with Hockenson, Fant, and Easley moving on. They have two serviceable receivers with experience with ISM & Brandon Smith. Three years after Greg Davis moving on as offensive coordinator, they should have talented underclassmen fully familiarized with the current system and ready to go. The coaching staff should have good ideas on how to utilize them as well. I would hope that there isn't a big drop-off with the talent that is moving on. This far in with an experienced coaching staff, there is no excuse for the passing offense to look clueless this year.

Go ahead and say it: you expect a high-powered, high scoring offense this year. How many ppg should we score, in your eyes?

It's actually kind of amazing we won as many games as we did last year considering how bad our run game was.
I get that being the weak link other teams keyed in and tried to completely shut it down, but really winning as many as we did with a high school level run game speaks volumes about...... Something. Passing game?? Idk. If we can get the ground game going, maybe we will see the passing game improve???

It's actually kind of amazing we won as many games as we did last year considering how bad our run game was.
I get that being the weak link other teams keyed in and tried to completely shut it down, but really winning as many as we did with a high school level run game speaks volumes about...... Something. Passing game?? Idk. If we can get the ground game going, maybe we will see the passing game improve???

It speaks volumes for how unimportant a running game is in today's college football. Even in a conference like the B1G where teams still value the running game more than they do in other P5 conferences.

Go ahead and say it: you expect a high-powered, high scoring offense this year. How many ppg should we score, in your eyes?

I am expecting a 31-34 pts per game average over the season which is a little higher than the historical norm I believe. But I also want to see much less variation from the mean/average than the last 2 years where the offense would unload for 50+ on some Big 10 opponents and others like at jNW and at Wisky get yards but hardly score at all.

The offense needs to be getting about 20-24 pts per game on all games.

I am expecting a 31-34 pts per game average over the season which is a little higher than the historical norm I believe. But I also want to see much less variation from the mean/average than the last 2 years where the offense would unload for 50+ on some Big 10 opponents and others like at jNW and at Wisky get yards but hardly score at all.

The offense needs to be getting about 20-24 pts per game on all games.

Hopefully the coaches already have a pretty good idea who the next generation of playmakers are.

Teams are gap “blitzing” the zone block scheme. More hat-on-hat blocking — especially against 3-4 defenses

Defense. It speaks volumes about last years defense, especially when coupled with last year’s punting unit.

You'd hope they have their groove figured out by now...for sure.

tenor.gif

It was obvious that the offensive line worked on pass protection a lot last season. I would hope there is some carryover on that this year and pass protection remains good even though they have a redshirt freshman at center. Both starting tackles and two guards have extensive experience.

Run blocking seems to be getting some attention this spring. Last year, with three inexperienced running backs and a new running backs coach, was a sub par year for the running game. They need to execute the running game better, but also get the backs involved in the passing game. They need to figure out how to get running backs free in space otherwise the running game is going to be bottled up like last year.

It is actually 2 years running now that pass-pro has been very good (and running game has been deficient, even with Wadley 2 years ago).

No, I don't. It's an offense at least partially predicated on ball control. But you can't do ball control with the running game we saw last year.

Well, just in terms of ppg (a very flawed stat), they were 3rd in the B1G last year (behind OSU and Mich, 44th in the nation) at 31.2 ppg. That was tops in the B1G West, of course.

http://www.cfbstats.com/2018/leader/national/team/offense/split01/category09/sort01.html

But a more representative stat of offensive quality involves looking at points per drive, or some calculated measure of offensive efficiency.

Iowa was 48th by Footballoustiders measure, (6th in the B1G, behind OSU, Mich, Purdue, Wisc, Neb, PSU; https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/feioff)

Iowa was 38th by ESPNs Offensive Eff measure, 5th in the B1G (essentially tied with PSU for 4th/5th, behind OSU, Mich, Purdue, Wisc; http://www.espn.com/college-footbal..._/year/2018/sort/offEfficiency/tab/efficiency); this measure does not take into account quality of the opposing defenses

So they definitely need to improve. The good news is they have improved since GDGD's last year, so hopefully that trend will continue as the staff gains continuity.

You could argue that the offense will get worse because they are losing their 3 most productive receivers, but there are always guys in the wings.

In 2017, they were replacing NFL talent at QB and TE, a 1000 yd rusher (Daniels), their top 2 WR (McCarron and J. Smith) and after the first couple of games their starting OTs to injury. They were better than the year before (45th vs. 58th in football outsider's OffEff).

In 2018, they were replacing Wadley and their 2 best OL (Welsh and Daniels), and the offense either stayed about the same (football outsiders have them going from 45th to 48th) or improved (ESPN has them improving from 54th to 38th, but remember that measure does not account for quality of opposing defenses). But being a homer, I would argue anecdotally that Iowa left way more points on the field in 2018. That is, in many cases the scheme put them in position to make plays, but for whatever reason, they couldn't put everything together. I feel that was different than in 2017 (think Wisc game) when at certain points they just couldn't move the ball at all and seemed miles away against quality defenses.

No surprises here, but I think the biggest gains are going to come from the running game. They need to say out of 3rd and long (although Stanely was actually pretty good in that situation), and they need explosive plays from the running game. The offseason talk has been about OL attitude, simplifying schemes from a coaching standpoint, and emphasis on filmwork from the RBs. Excited to see if things trend in the right direction in the early games.

Defense. It speaks volumes about last years defense, especially when coupled with last year’s punting unit.

The defense did remarkably well considering how inexperienced the back seven were. New starters at all three linebacker spots. Injuries at cornerback meant freshman were getting starts. Amani Jones not working out at MLB and injuries made for musical chairs with linebacker substitutions. With all the issues they did a decent job back there.

What save the defense was having four very good defensive ends to keep the pressure up all game, and Amani Hooker having the flexibility to play a hybrid linebacker-safety position.

Latest posts