2003 92 41
2004 101 68
2005 22 36
2006 27 58
2007 109 110 * JC at his finest
2008 53 33
2009 89 86
2010 61 49

so............3 times Iowa's finished in the top 30 in total offense since '01 and twice have they finished there in scoring. 2004 I can understand but the rest of the years............wtf? and honestly I was shocked to see Iowa finish in the top 30 in total offense in 2006, I remember the offense being pretty "ken keefe-ish" then. Face it, what worked back in the early part of the decade no longer works for scoring points even if you have the best HB in school history.

iowa offensive stats

just a note, anything before 2007 maybe a bit hard for some people to find if they don't know where to look.

Last edited:
You also need to take into account the personnel we're working with, along with the other two phases of the game.

Hell, last year, we had a pretty bad season on offense, according to the rankings, yet we were 10-2.

this year, Iowa has great personel to work with on offense and is 61st in total offense.........bottom half of the nation and regressing the past 4 games. That ain't right.

I seriously doubt Iowa has not been able to put together more than one "top 30 in both categories" offense since 2002 because of lack of talent vs. the opposing defenses.

total and scoring offense since 2001

year total scoring

2001 45 22
2002 13 7
2003 92 41
2004 101 68
2005 22 36
2006 27 58
2008 53 33
2009 89 86
2010 61 49

so............3 times Iowa's finished in the top 30 in total offense since '01 and twice have they finished there in scoring. 2004 I can understand but the rest of the years............wtf? and honestly I was shocked to see Iowa finish in the top 30 in total offense in 2006, I remember the offense being pretty "ken keefe-ish" then. Face it, what worked back in the early part of the decade no longer works for scoring points even if you have the best HB in school history.

iowa offensive stats

just a note, anything before 2007 maybe a bit hard for some people to find if they don't know where to look.

I don't really agree with this logic. Many teams ranked ahead of us are from smaller conferences and constantly play bad defenses, skewing the stats. We lost 2 OL and our top 3 RB's by the end of the year, it's not hard to figure out why our ppg dropped from about 35 through our first 8 games, to 19 in our last 4.

when you play defenses like NW, Indiana, and Minnesota with a HB who was more productive than your starter it kinda is

when you play defenses like NW, Indiana, and Minnesota with a HB who was more productive than your starter it kinda is
You're painting this with too broad of a brush. Our offense was just fine against Indiana, until Ricky, not O'keefe, threw some terrible fades in the redzone. We convert even half those, we put up 27 points. We had 440 yards of offense without Robinson. I think we did ok. NW game was horrible conditions(wind/rain), and I don't think it was any coincidence that all 38 points were scored with the wind. The huge turning point in that game was Stanzi throwing that inexcusable INT with two open receivers underneath. There were also a couple dropped balls by our WR's, that also were inexcusable. Stanzi was 10-22 in the Minnesota game when we needed him to carry our offense. The time of possession was 37 minutes to 23 in favor of Minnesota. Our D couldn't stop them. The problem wasn't the play-calling, but the execution. All 3 of those offenses were ball control offenses, and they dinked and dunked against us all day long, taking what our D gave them.

Last edited:
You're painting this with too broad of a brush. Our offense was just fine against Indiana, until Ricky, not O'keefe, threw some terrible fades in the redzone. We convert even half those, we put up 27 points. We had 440 yards of offense without Robinson. I think we did ok. NW game was horrible conditions(wind/rain), and I don't think it was any coincidence that all 38 points were scored with the wind. The huge turning point in that game was Stanzi throwing that inexcusable INT with two open receivers underneath. There were also a couple dropped balls by our WR's, that also were inexcusable. Stanzi was 10-22 in the Minnesota game when we needed him to carry our offense. The time of possession was 37 minutes to 23 in favor of Minnesota. Our D couldn't stop them. The problem wasn't the play-calling, but the execution. All 3 of those offenses were ball control offenses, and they dinked and dunked against us all day long, taking what our D gave them.

make all the excuses you want, but Wisconsin played Indiana and NW both soon after Iowa did and scored 153 combined points against those two.

If Stanzi kept throwing bad fades then why did KOK keep calling them? And a single game I can understand - even a single season. The point is, KOK has been doing this for OVER A DECADE! How many ****-poor Offenses do you need to see before you finally admit something needs to change at the top of the Offense?

Think so maybe we should have called draw plays for him. Like we used to for that guy 2002.

Removing the run threat from our QB has probably affected our offensive production more than any other thing. We must have a run threat from the QB.

I think these stats are skewed. We *should only need to score 28 points a game to win in most seasons. I don't care where we rank statistically on offense on any given season because it is constantly evolving every season I care much more about how we rank in the Big Ten season, and we have fared poorly in mediocre years and above average or good in the seasons we have good records. Our offense isn't designed to have gaudy numbers and that is fine if it is effective. For the first eight games it was more than up to the task. What happened the last four I don't know.

*assuming our defense is up to its usual standards of holding opponents to under an average of 20 ppg and never more than 30 in a single game.

soo...in 2009 our offensive ranks were dramatically worse than this year, yet we went 11-2 sure there are always a few O Keefe critics but not the lynch mob that has formed on the internet these past few weeks. your logic is imperfect just like everyone elses...there isnt one set of stats that you can look at to define a season or decade, you need to take everything in consideration. all you are doing is saying that we are consistantly average on offense.
based on the stats you gave:
2002 13th, 7th
2009 89th, 86th
2002 record 11-2 orange bowl loss
2009 record 11-2 orange bowl WIN

players change every year
opponents change every year

the only stat that really matters is points scored vs. points allowed. having the team with the best coaches or the best players does not guarantee you a win, this goes for every team in the country. if you would put a win loss record next to these offensive stats you would be wrong just as much as you are right

Last edited:
What I really don't get is how some people are just fine with relying on the defense constantly to win us games and pretty much thinking that the offense is fine. Why not at least try to make some changes or switch it up a little bit? KOK doesn't have to be fired, but what we have been doing for the past 10+ seasons is obviously not working out all that well. 218 yards of total offense against Minnesota. 218 yards! Think we might have a problem?

Twitter:

slmandel
Stewart Mandel
Wow. Worked w/ Mack for 18 yrs. RT @gkketch: Multiple sources confirmed that the Longhorns will replace Greg Davis as offensive coordinator.
6 minutes ago

Twitter:

slmandel
Stewart Mandel
Wow. Worked w/ Mack for 18 yrs. RT @gkketch: Multiple sources confirmed that the Longhorns will replace Greg Davis as offensive coordinator.
6 minutes ago

wow. the games i watched, it seemed like they sure missed colt a ton, but their D was awful at times. can't stop ISU and UCLA? unless there was some big reason, not sure why they'd go to this extreme. then again, with top 10 recruiting classes (they can pretty much get whoever they want) every year, this year was unacceptable.

total and scoring offense since 2001

year total scoring

2001 45 22
2002 13 7
2003 92 41
2004 101 68
2005 22 36
2006 27 58
2008 53 33
2009 89 86
2010 61 49

iowa offensive stats

You're worried about top 30? Our coaching staff is in the top 5 in pay. Our program is in the top 10 in revenue. Our fans travel to bowl games and away games easily in the top 10 in the country. We should be ****** off that our offense isn't anywhere close to the top 10!

During those same years we averaged 61st in total offense and 51st in scoring offense. That's terrible. And if you look deeper into this you will see that in 2010, we played to our average in both total offense and scoring offense. This year is a perfect example of why KOK needs to go. This year is your typical year.

Last edited:

Latest posts