Iowa & NW even on offense..thru nine games

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
each team is averaging 409.78 yards per game...each team has put up exactly 3,688 yards so far this season...that coincidence is amazing

each team is averaging 409.78 yards per game...each team has put up exactly 3,688 yards so far this season...that coincidence is amazing

But you say this is not a great Northwestern team. Does this mean Northwesterns defense and special teams are not very good to factor in this team not being great?

If Northwesterns offense is not very good then statistically speaking Iowa's offense is also not very good, and we both know that's not true.

Iowa's offense is a different breed. NW runs a more wide open attack in which they are in more of a hurry. I haven't done the math, but I would predict their yards have come on significantly more offensive snaps. Kind of like the way Ricky isn't leading the nation in yardage or attempts, but he is up there on efficiency.

Okay, I just did the math. NW's numbers are based on 100 more plays than Iowa. The fact that Iowa matches them in total production is pretty impressive.

It might be a meaningful statistic if their scheduless were even remotely similar. Take a look at the calibler of competition played by the Cats, conference and nonconference alike and compare it to Iowa's.

It might be a meaningful statistic if their scheduless were even remotely similar. Take a look at the calibler of competition played by the Cats, conference and nonconference alike and compare it to Iowa's.

+1. Add to that the fact that for long sections of the EIU, ISU, BSU, PSU, and MSU games we were legitimately just running dives to kill clock time. Meanwhile, just Northwestern has only 3 games by more than a touchdown. And they lost one of those to Penn State. It's fair to assume that they were playing all out in plenty of fourth quarters and still taking shots downfield with less than 5:00 on the clock.

+1. Add to that the fact that for long sections of the EIU, ISU, BSU, PSU, and MSU games we were legitimately just running dives to kill clock time. Meanwhile, just Northwestern has only 3 games by more than a touchdown. And they lost one of those to Penn State. It's fair to assume that they were playing all out in plenty of fourth quarters and still taking shots downfield with less than 5:00 on the clock.

+2

You can also look at strength of schedule. Here is how I order the teams each has played against.

Iowa:
Wisconsin
Michigan State
Arizona
Penn State
Michigan
Iowa State
Indiana
Ball State
Eastern Illinois

Northwestern:
Michigan State
Penn State
Indiana
Purdue
Then it's all thrown into a basket because I don't know how to rank the rest because they are all so bad:
Vanderbilt
Illinois State
Rice
Central Michigan
Minnesota

Latest posts