Iowa Needs a New Act

Hard to argue, yes. Although Rittenberg, like other writers (I'm looking at you, Mandel), are blaming Stanzi for the pick-6 when that wasn't the case.

That article reads suspicously like someone who did not watch the game.

Sort of what I thought.

Also, Iowa's 'act' is just fine. It's the same 'act' that Wisconsin has run for the last decade..they have played in far more seven point games than Iowa.

Iowa just cannot play special teams that poorly. Thats the 'act' that needs to change.

No doubt. At 14-0 I told my wife, Zona is gonna start fading and Iowa will start getting things in gear. All of a sudden it was 14-7, then...

Hard to argue some points but the pick 6 was on Mcnutt off the hands should have caught that ball. There is alot of fight left in this dog. I am glad this happened this will force them to be all business the rest of the way!

Iowa needs to not commit multiple egregious errors in one game. You can commit one egregious error in a game, maybe two, and still win it. You get up to 3 or 4 or 6 and you might as well be aiming a rocket launcher at your feet.

Saturday night was like a greatest hits of horrible nightmarish crap than can happen, an epic cornucopia of suck. And we still almost won.

Hard to argue, yes. Although Rittenberg, like other writers (I'm looking at you, Mandel), are blaming Stanzi for the pick-6 when that wasn't the case.

I thought the same thing. A very nice article & a lot of things are pin point. But, the Stanzi reference is crap. Stanzi put that ball right where it should be so he is not accountable on that certain pass. Yea, Stanzi's going to get labeled as throwing another pick 6, but that certainly was not the case.

If anything, I was dissapointed with the diversity of the O on Saturday. I realize AZ took a lot of things away like the run, but, I don't understand why the ball wasn't distributed to more players (I.E. WR's, TE's, RB's). It pretty much seemed was either going to McNutt or DJK. There should have been a more variety of passing plays. The middle should have been open to the TE's or RB's if the LB's were blitzing. I was dissapointed in the distributioon of the ball by Iowa's passing O.

Last edited:
Adam really missed it with that article. He must not have seen the interception or the game.

Iowa was a bit of a train wreck for the first 25 minutes of that game.

There are teams out there who are good enough to survive mistakes. Like Ferentz has said, the margin of error for the Hawks is pretty slim. Certainly slimmer than that of a Texas or Alabama.

I agree with this... and I said in another thread that the difference is purely foot speed at 3 main positions. If they can get faster at RB, WR, and CB, then IA can be one of those teams that CAN make mistakes and win.

I thought the same thing. A very nice article & a lot of things are pin point. But, the Stanzi reference is crap. Stanzi put that ball right where it should be so he is not accountable on that certain pass. Yea, Stanzi's going to get labeled as throwing another pick 6, but that certainly was not the case.

If anything, I was dissapointed with the diversity of the O on Saturday. I realize AZ took a lot of things away like the run, but, I don't understand why the ball wasn't distributed to more players (I.E. WR's, TE's, RB's). It pretty much seemed was either going to McNutt or DJK. There should have been a more variety of passing plays. The middle should have been open to the TE's or RB's if the LB's were blitzing. I was dissapointed in the distributioon of the ball by Iowa's passing O.

I was getting frustrated during the game when Stanzi started taking deep shots on seemingly every pass play. We had started going to Sandeman, and we were having success with that, then all of the sudden we just stopped. The hole for us didn't get any deeper to prompt that switch. So I don't know what the deal was there.

I was getting frustrated during the game when Stanzi started taking deep shots on seemingly every pass play. We had started going to Sandeman, and we were having success with that, then all of the sudden we just stopped. The hole for us didn't get any deeper to prompt that switch. So I don't know what the deal was there.

I believe it was the opening series of the second half. Iowa got out to midfield (or around there) with quick hitters and underneath stuff, and then KOK called a deep ball that missed and a run into the line (that hadn't worked all night) on consecutive plays.

I just feel they could spread the ball around a little more than they do & any game. They don't have to have elaborate plays, just use the plays they have or simple pass plays to different guys. Pass to the RB's a little more to keep the D honest. Not just screens but a few yds downfield behind the LB's. Give the other teams a little more to scheme for. They did have the pass to Hampton for the TD, but why can't that also be done in the middle of the field?

Speaking of screen passes. I don't recall any. Morse looks like he has decent hands, get him a few catches a game & him involved more. They pass to Morse on the goal line, heck, pass to him on a drive as well. Keep the D more off balance. Use the FB.

I suspect they saw on film they could exploit the AZ corners/safeties & this is why they took so many shots. I just didn't have a good feel for the O on Sat. night. The TE's for Iowa were non-existent which is a staple for Iowa f-ball. Don't get it.

Last edited: