Iowa/Neb insight is possible

WhitUp

http://www.omaha.com/article/20101127/BIGRED/711279845

I noticed one of the espn bowl projections had nebreska vs Michigan in the insight bowl. I was trying to figure out how that was even possible for Nebreska to drop to the insight, but the insight is big 12 #4 pick. And considering the big 12 doesn't look to be getting 2 BCS teams, it does seem like it is possible for them to drop to insight.

here's the pecking order and this would be assuming a Oklahoma win.

#1 Fiesta 11-2 Oklahoma
#2 Cotton
#3 Alamo
#4 Insight
#5 Holiday

So those 4 bowls will have Oky state (10-2) Nebreska (10-3) Missouri (10-2) A&M(9-3) to chose from.

Most projections for cotton I'm seing either have oklahoma(means neb won) or has texas a&m and Nebreska dropping to the Alamo.

One reason I think it is possible. Is that Alamo bowl is going to be forced to take Arizona, possibly not even having another other option except maybe a 6-6 Washington team(if they win this week). Would the Alamo want to have 2 teams that played in a bowl game last year(ari/neb played in holiday bowl last year)???? I could also see the big 12 push for Missouri since last year missouri was so upset for being left out of insight. Or they could take Oky state and fans would be within driving distance. In no way will the big 12 be pushing for Nebreska to get the highest bowl possible. And if it happens I'm sure Nebreska will blaim big 12 for it happening.

Something I noticed curious to see if other people thinking it is a possibility. I'm sure this would get both fans semi-pumped up for a mediocre bowl.

Could be our last chance to play the Cornhuskers in a bowl game.

Let's get this rivalry started a year early!

Last edited:
There is no way in hell that Nebraska, with its fanbase, gets passed over by enough bowls to land in the Insight.

There is no way in hell that Nebraska, with its fanbase, gets passed over by enough bowls to land in the Insight.

I think it's unlikely just saying it's possible, if they lose Missouri and Oky state would have better records then them and A&M has to be very populer in state choice for both alamo and cotton bowl. And the big 12 obviously not going to be fighting for them and who wants to see a rematch of a last years bowl.

I think it's unlikely just saying it's possible, if they lose Missouri and Oky state would have better records then them and A&M has to be very populer in state choice for both alamo and cotton bowl. And the big 12 obviously not going to be fighting for them and who wants to see a rematch of a last years bowl.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see it...but two things:

1) Nebraska beat both those teams on the field;

2) Way more important: Nebraska = fans =

images

Actually they lost to A&M and it's not all 3 of those teams it's just the cotton and alamo would have to chose 2 of them over Nebreska not all 3 teams.

Nebraska might very well end up in the Cotton. Their fans travel EXTREMEMLY well, and will certainly not get jumped by Mizzou, and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them jump Okie State too.

Actually they lost to A&M and it's not all 3 of those teams it's just the cotton and alamo would have to chose 2 of them over Nebreska not all 3 teams.

I was referencing Mizzou and OK State.

The Cotton might take A&M over Nebraska but the Alamo certainly won't take Mizzou or OK State over them.

I'd bet the Cotton would take Nebraska over A&M though.

I was referencing Mizzou and OK State.

The Cotton might take A&M over Nebraska but the Alamo certainly won't take Mizzou or OK State over them.

I'd bet the Cotton would take Nebraska over A&M though.

Let's say the cotton does take A&M. The Alamo has to take Arizona from the pac 10. Does the Alamo take Nebreska and have arizona vs Nebreska rematch from last years bowl game???? Or do they take a 10-2 OSU or 10-2 Missouri. Big 12 might very will push for that and to be honest I'd think Nebreska fans would rather(if cottons out) go to the insight and play Iowa then have a rematch with Arizona.

Let's say the cotton does take A&M. The Alamo has to take Arizona from the pac 10. Does the Alamo take Nebreska and have arizona vs Nebreska rematch from last years bowl game???? Or do they take a 10-2 OSU or 10-2 Missouri. Big 12 might very will push for that and to be honest I'd think Nebreska fans would rather(if cottons out) go to the insight and play Iowa then have a rematch with Arizona.

Possibly. I think it would still be a hard sell to the Alamo to not take Nebraska given the amount of money available. Plus they'd have to depend on the Outback and Gator to pass over Iowa.

Possibly. I think it would still be a hard sell to the Alamo to not take Nebraska given the amount of money available. Plus they'd have to depend on the Outback and Gator to pass over Iowa.

Yeah it's a longshot so many dominoes would have to fall right.

What a great way to start the Nebraska/Iowa rivalry...with an Iowa team that has quit and a coaching staff that has lost its players.

Can't wait to watch the staff coach that one...Just think...The coaches depend on execution to beat the other team and the team has quit...wonder how excecution and quitting go hand in hand and how the coaching staff will juggle that one???

At least the coaches will have an excuse when they say the players "just did not execute the gameplan!" What they won't say is that "We lost the players about 2 months ago but hey we thought they were just kidding around. Guess not. Joke is on us huh? There is always next year!"

I was begging to play Nebraska earlier this year. I was sure Iowa would beat the snot out of them, and I would have bragging rights for a whole year. Saddly, I now think the opposite would be true. Anybody but Nebraska please, I just could not handle that loss this year.

Nebraska will either go to the Fiesta or the Insight. If they lose to OU, it's Insight. The Cotton and Alamo almost always select teams from the south, and I think this would occur again, despite Nebraska's traveling fan base, because the south schools travel as well to close destinations. And I just got a text that A&M is going to the Cotton, so sounds like that's right, they weren't even considering Nebraska. If OU wins the Big XII championship, it's Oklahoma State to the Alamo and a pick between Neb and Mizzou for Insight, and Neb wins that. If NU wins Big XII championship, it's Oklahoma to the Alamo. In that case it's Mizzou or Oklahoma State to the Insight.

I pick Neb in the Big XII championship game.

On the money! If Nebraska loses to Oklahoma, Neb losses out on the Cotton, and probably the Alamo. I personally believe Nebraska beats Oklahoma. But, I also feel that Gator takes the Nittany Lions and Outback picks Iowa over Michigan. So, if Oklahoma beats Nebraska, it's Michigan vs. Neb in in the Insight. Rematch of the Alamo, about 5 years ago. That was a great game (remember Michigan's seven-pitch kick-off return in the last 10 seconds). Another great game. Rematch for Hawkeyes vs. Spurrier in the Outback, in my opinion.

Latest posts