Iowa NCAA Stat Rankings #1 Total Defense

Stats aren't very telling quite yet. Iowa has only faced 1 quality opponent in AZ. We should know more in 2 weeks how good this D actually is.

Stats aren't very telling quite yet. Iowa has only faced 1 quality opponent in AZ. We should know more in 2 weeks how good this D actually is.

True but most teams haven't played too much of a schedule. Iowa has at least played a B12 and P10 team out of its four.

Agree- and at times they've looked dominant. The D will continue to improve and now that B10 play is here... they will shine.

I know other teams can make this claim but I would like to see the Scoring D numbers excluding points attributed to special teams and INT's/Fumbles returned for TD's by the other team.

Iowa's Scoring D average would be 8.5 without the 14 points we gave up in the AZ game. While we we haven't faced a ranked team besides AZ, our schedule is on par with most BCS conference teams. That is pretty stout.

Go Hawks!

I know other teams can make this claim but I would like to see the Scoring D numbers excluding points attributed to special teams and INT's/Fumbles returned for TD's by the other team.

Iowa's Scoring D average would be 8.5 without the 14 points we gave up in the AZ game. While we we haven't faced a ranked team besides AZ, our schedule is on par with most BCS conference teams. That is pretty stout.

Go Hawks!

Does the pic 6, punt block and kick return all go against Iowa's scoring D numbers?

True but most teams haven't played too much of a schedule. Iowa has at least played a B12 and P10 team out of its four.

Agree about the P10 comment but i don't consider ISU a quality opponent. ISU is in the lower half of the worst division in the B12 so saying Iowa played someone from the B12 can be deceiving. But yeah i pretty much agree other teams haven't exactly played quality opponents either so thats why these stats don't mean a whole lot right now.

Go Hawks!

I was thinking the exact same thing. Plus our scoring defense would've jumped a few spots last year had you taken out the Pick 6's.

Colin Sandeman is also #18 in the country returning punts. They didn't show a replay yesterday, but I thought that the block in the back wasn't a good call. I thought maybe the blocker got their head in front of the defender. That was a great return though.

Actually doing the math take away pick 6, kick return and punt block neither of which were on the defense and the average is 6.75 ppg, and if you really want to push it 5.0 vs the #1 Defense.

Actually doing the math take away pick 6, kick return and punt block neither of which were on the defense and the average is 6.75 ppg, and if you really want to push it 5.0 vs the #1 Defense.

Why would you take away the punt block? Yes the D was put in a tough spot but unlike the pick 6 and kickoff return they were responsible for giving up a TD when they could have held them to a FG.

Why would you take away the punt block? Yes the D was put in a tough spot but unlike the pick 6 and kickoff return they were responsible for giving up a TD when they could have held them to a FG.

Because i was being completely ignoratnt and thinking that they scored on the Block it self.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmW-ScmGRMA]YouTube - Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit smoking...[/ame]

I agree. Ann Arbor is actually 3 weeks away though because of our bye week. If we hold Michigan to 20 (earned) points or less and come out with a W then I think the nation and pollsters will really take notice.

Michigan is the barometer game in my opinion.

I agree. Ann Arbor is actually 3 weeks away though because of our bye week. If we hold Michigan to 20 (earned) points or less and come out with a W then I think the nation and pollsters will really take notice.

Michigan is the barometer game in my opinion.

I'm still not sold on Michigan yet. But if Robinson is healthy it will be a tough test. That 3-game stretch of @Michigan, Wisconsin, and MSU will tell us all we need to know. Wisky is still a solid team, and they were having plenty of success before Clay got hurt last year. And Michigan State is arguably the only team outside of Ohio State who can match us punch for punch in the physicality department. That game last year was arguably the best game I've ever watched, just back and forth defensive battle. And with the improvement of MSU's running game this year, it's only going to get more physical.

That stretch will tell us everything: can we defend a dynamic playmaker like Robinson, who can beat you with his arm now, as well as his legs (Michigan's Terrelle Pryor)? Can we stop an elite running back who isn't hurt midway through the game (Clay)? Can our offensive line play physically against a team that WILL punch you in the mouth (MSU)? We come out 3-0 or 2-1, we've got a serious chance to beat OSU. 1-2 or worse, not a chance.

I agree I'm not sold on michigan completely but you can't deny they have a pretty decent offense. I think we will be told a lot about how good Iowa's run D is with them because last year they ran all over us if I remember correctly.

I agree I'm not sold on michigan completely but you can't deny they have a pretty decent offense. I think we will be told a lot about how good Iowa's run D is with them because last year they ran all over us if I remember correctly.

They did a lot of that with Brandon Minor, though. And he's gone. Robinson was their 2nd leading rusher in that game, and he does worry me a lot. But Michael Shaw and Vincent Smith haven't put up dominating numbers, and Michigan hasn't exactly played good defenses.

Latest posts