Iowa National Title Hopes Take Beating Tonight

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
Texas blowing out Oklahoma State puts a big dent in Iowa's hopes.

Now, I am not really even thinking about this, based on the likelihood that every Iowa game from here on out is going to be tedious and on a razor's edge...BUT, they are 9-0, they play in the Big Ten and in the Top Five of the BCS.

Texas hosts Central Florida, is at Baylor, hosts Kansas and closes at Texas A&M. They will be double digit favorites in each of those games. Of course, they will face a Big 12 North opponent in the Big 12 title game, but I don't believe there is a team in that division that can stay within 10 points of Texas.

Unless Alabama or Florida lose a regular season game, then the team that loses that regular season game wins the SEC title game, I think it's going to be an SEC champ vs Texas National title game whether or not Iowa goes 12-0 or not.

The computers love Iowa. If we can move close to Texas in the human polls, maybe we have a chance. After this season so far, ANYTHING is possible

The computers love Iowa. If we can move close to Texas in the human polls, maybe we have a chance. After this season so far, ANYTHING is possible

Last week will be the best Iowa will have in computer ranking the rest of the way...I know they can't be higher than 1, but I think they will start falling back...not a ton, but a couple spots will make a difference

I agree with that. In A&M, some crazy things have happened in that series. But that's the only shot
Agreed, but we can be hopeful. I remember Stanford winning at USC being a 28 point or so underdog a couple of years back. Florida lost at home last year. Texas has flaws as well. Weird things can happen, and we need to root for them. However, it's going to be tough.

I agree with that. In A&M, some crazy things have happened in that series. But that's the only shot

Yep. If the Aggies don't come through, we need some crazy stuff to go down in the SEC. FL or AL would have to lose before the title game, and then the aforementioned loser would have to beat the undefeated opponent...then Iowa might take the SEC's spot and play Texas.

Assuming the human voters didn't totally screw us, which they'd be hard pressed to do if we beat OSU on the road.

To have any shot we'd have to blow out everyone else we play (including/especially OSU). Th that's not going to happen. I hate to say this but I'm going to hope for the Rose Bowl unless we get some help.

I'd take a Rose Bowl berth though. It would be an awesome experience as it's not something that I've had a chance to see (it's happened in my life but I wasn't old enough to care.

Agreed, but at this point I'm worried about winning more than one of our next three games given today's performance and how well Minny is playing against MSU.

It is certainly not unreasonable for LSU to beat Alabama next week. I don't expect LSU to win @ Alabama expecialy after an Alabama bye week but it certainly could happen. I couldn't certainly then see either Alabama or LSU beating Florida. LSU couldn't have played any worse offensively the first time around.

How many one loss teams will be in front of Iowa in the human polls? I bet Oregon takes USC's spot ahead of us. LSU as well? Or do you think the voters will give us some love for STILL being undefeated.

If IOWA wins out and LSU beats bama them bama beats Florida there would only be two undefeated teams. IOWA and texas could an undefeated big ten team really be left out of the title game only time will tell>

If Iowa were to put it to Ohio State in the Shoe, that could open some eyes...still think its a longshot, however.

I guess the only 'shot' at that point would be to beat Oregon in Rose and AP Voters vote Iowa #1...and then Clone fans and Hawk fans could fight if that was a title for the next 50 years :)

If Iowa were to put it to Ohio State in the Shoe, that could open some eyes...still think its a longshot, however.

I guess the only 'shot' at that point would be to beat Oregon in Rose and AP Voters vote Iowa #1...and then Clone fans and Hawk fans could fight if that was a title for the next 50 years :)
Nice scenario, Jon. That would be fun. :)

If IOWA wins out and LSU beats bama them bama beats Florida there would only be two undefeated teams. IOWA and texas could an undefeated big ten team really be left out of the title game only time will tell>

Given our road schedule, it is doubtful we would be left out of the NC if one of two undefeated teams, in my educated guess.

How many one loss teams will be in front of Iowa in the human polls? I bet Oregon takes USC's spot ahead of us. LSU as well? Or do you think the voters will give us some love for STILL being undefeated.

Considering the Coaches just bumped us over 2 one-loss teams recently, they'd be rather silly to turn around and then start moving one-loss teams ahead of us.

But does Oregon jump Georgia Tech, PSU, and LSU? That's a lot to ask, even for the bump they get from beating the crap out of a overrated USC team.

Latest posts