Iowa/Miami of Ohio several years back.

I believe Iowa played Miami (OH) all three years from 2001-03, and I think Big Ben was their starting QB all 3 years.

I was at this game, too. I was actually sitting in the Miami section since my brother in law was a former player there and knew some people. (He was on the '75 and '76 teams with the Zooker)

I remember some Red Hawk fans giving Hawkeye fans grief at the start of the game regarding Ben, but it settled down quickly with all the INTs.

I also remember something about Ben giving Hoeppner a phone call after Indiana beat Iowa saying something like "We finally got them, coach" or something?

I believe Iowa played Miami (OH) all three years from 2001-03, and I think Big Ben was their starting QB all 3 years.

Correct. He had a very long touchdown run in that '01 game (80 yds?) when Roth was playing linebacker as a true freshman.

I also remember something about Ben giving Hoeppner a phone call after Indiana beat Iowa saying something like "We finally got them, coach" or something?

Correct. Such a shame what happened with Hoeppner. Seemed like a great guy and he had Indiana going in the right direction.

I think it was after they beat the Hawks in 2006 at Bloomington.

Wow. At the time of the game i never knew who Ben was. Nice job hawks on keeping a future superbowl winning QB in check! How did this guy not play D1 ball?

Iowa beat Rothlisberger 3 times. In 2001 at Iowa; 2002 at Miami, and 2003 again at Iowa. So by 2003 if you were paying attention you should have known who he was. He was a great college QB. Also to answer your question, from what I recall he had offers from major schools (and I even believe Ohio St), but knew he would not get early playing time so went to Miami(OH) where of course he pretty much started right away. I seem to recall announcers mentioning this during the games against him.

Somebody has to have the 2002 game on video somewhere right. I don't remember that game at all. Or any of the M.of Ohio games. Haha

Somebody has to have the 2002 game on video somewhere right. I don't remember that game at all. Or any of the M.of Ohio games. Haha

I'm fairly certain it was not televised.

To all the people that say the 2002 game was a squeaker, when Miami made the score 17-16 in the 3rd quarter Iowa scored 2 TD's in the span of 13-16 plays and really took the air out of the ball for the rest of the game, M-OH only made it a one score game is garbage time.

Wow. At the time of the game i never knew who Ben was. Nice job hawks on keeping a future superbowl winning QB in check! How did this guy not play D1 ball?

Were you really young, or did you just not pay that close of attention to college football? Big Ben was a legit Heisman candidate and people were really nervous about this game. The fact that Iowa held him in check was fairly big news.

However, as those of us who were there can attest, the stands were not full even in 2003.

I am pretty sure the 2001 game was one of those 4 tickets, 4 Hotdogs, 4 sodas, for $40 0r $50 games.

Last edited:
Were you really young, or did you just not pay that close of attention to college football? Big Ben was a legit Heisman candidate and people were really nervous about this game. The fact that Iowa held him in check was fairly big news. However, as those of us who were there can attest, the stands were not full even in 2003. I am pretty sure the 2001 game was one of those 4 tickets, 4 Hotdogs, 4 sodas, for $40 0r $50 games.
I was 18 in 2002. Old enough to remember ... its just i smoked way to much devils cabbage since then to remember. Fair enough?

Section 136: "This is the game that sprung the ESPN segment with Roth and his 2 words..."Iowa Hawkeye Pride"."

Three words: Hawkeye Pride

To all the people that say the 2002 game was a squeaker, when Miami made the score 17-16 in the 3rd quarter Iowa scored 2 TD's in the span of 13-16 plays and really took the air out of the ball for the rest of the game, M-OH only made it a one score game is garbage time.

The game was televised, it was on ESPN+ (KGAN in Eastern Iowa). I still have the tape.
Also it was a tight game. We trailed in the 4th quarter, so that right there was enough to have my blood pressure high. Yes, we scored twice to widen the gap and we ran out the clock to end the game when we could have scored, but at no point did you feel comfortable until we got that final first down.

I was at this game. Ben had his mojo going and their crowd was in a Cyclone-Magic frenzy late in the game until Derek Pagel picked him off to seal it. The most athletic and timely Iowa pic I've seen before or since. I still remember driving back from Oxford feeling lucky as hell that we won that one.

I remember watching the game on TV lol. I went to the 2001 and 2003 games.

That game was the last game that big Ben lost as a starter untill the following year when he lost to the jets in the divisional round of the playoffs.

I was running camera for ESPN in the low north end zone spot, and one of my duties was bringing the QB up to the line. One of the easiest duties that day as both QB's were like 6'8", and, except for Gallery, towered over the rest of the team.

Latest posts