Iowa men face early test in Creighton - gazette.com

HawkeyeHypnosis

Iowa men face early test in Creighton | TheGazette

This will be a good test and practice. From article:

Iowa also can play everyone in the scrimmage, including red-shirt candidates. Barring injury, it’s likely McCaffery will red-shirt 6-10 forward Kyle Meyer. Red-shirt candidates cannot play in public exhibitions or games.

McCaffery said he likes closed scrimmages because it gives an honest assessment of the team before playing publicly.

Well Woodbury is going to get a good taste of what life in the big ten is going to be like. Do they play 40 minutes or a shorter scrimmage?

Iowa men face early test in Creighton | TheGazette

This will be a good test and practice. From article:

Iowa also can play everyone in the scrimmage, including red-shirt candidates. Barring injury, it’s likely McCaffery will red-shirt 6-10 forward Kyle Meyer. Red-shirt candidates cannot play in public exhibitions or games.

McCaffery said he likes closed scrimmages because it gives an honest assessment of the team before playing publicly.

I wonder when Fran scheduled this scrimmage? My guess is as soon as possible after discovering that IA faces IN, MI, and MSU first thing in the B1G schedule. He realized the team needed an early test to get ready.

I wonder when Fran scheduled this scrimmage? My guess is as soon as possible after discovering that IA faces IN, MI, and MSU first thing in the B1G schedule. He realized the team needed an early test to get ready.

My gut tells me tomorrow is going to be an eye opener.

My gut tells me tomorrow is going to be an eye opener.

Especially for the freshmen. I thought potential redshirt candidates could also play in the Quincy game (public exhibition) and still retain their redshirt status? Has the rule changed?

It's going to be a test, for sure. It'll tell Fran and company right away where they're at. Not a bad thing at all IMO. Better to find out sooner than later where you need to improve..

Couldn't be worse than the actually game last year...[/QUOT

I think we are forgetting we have 2 point guards who have yet to accomplish anything at the D1 level, so, it could indeed be worse. On one hand I wish the scrimmage was at Creighton as we need to get "road tough" and quit all this crap of staying in-state the majority of our non-conference schedule like last year. On the other hand, given who Creighton is, I'm somewhat glad this is at Carver.

I think we are forgetting we have 2 point guards who have yet to accomplish anything at the D1 level, so, it could indeed be worse. On one hand I wish the scrimmage was at Creighton as we need to get "road tough" and quit all this crap of staying in-state the majority of our non-conference schedule like last year. On the other hand, given who Creighton is, I'm somewhat glad this is at Carver.

You could have a 12 year old playing point and it would not be worse than last year.

If it is worse (of course, no way of knowing), it's going to be a long winter. That game was BRUTAL. Have higher hopes for this year though!

Last edited:
We had to play a walk on at PG for long stretches of the games as BC was injured.
We would have been mauled anyway, but I'm guessing Gessel and Clemmons are a better PG combo than (early season) Marble and Stubbs.

Doesnt say exactly when but, from article:

“Creighton, we just called them out of the blue. They were looking for one, we were looking for one. So they’re coming here, then we’ll skip a year because they’re playing someone else, and we’ll go over there.”

Which year was it that Iowa supposedly lost to some division III team in a similar scrimmage? It was one of the Lick years and can't remember the team either.

Which year was it that Iowa supposedly lost to some division III team in a similar scrimmage? It was one of the Lick years and can't remember the team either.

If memory serves I don't think they lost... I think they just barely won.

Latest posts