Iowa Line Blocking Techniques

doclee

I read the CR Gazette this a.m. and the article about Iowa "going vertical" was absolutely fascinating. Donnell and Brian F. talk about the techniques they use with offensive line blocking. They go into a lot of detail and I will watch the line blocking with renewed enthusiasm after reading this article. I would highly recommend it to football junkies in general and those who like to watch the line blocking (through binoculars) in particular. Enjoy!

This is a great article.

Brian Ferentz continues to impress me. I had thought the "next Hawkeye coach" talk was absolutely crazy, but I'm starting to think its not so crazy.

I coach offensive line for youth football. Went to a coaches clinic where they really stressed the backside knee.....and putting it the d-lineman's crotch. Get off the ball and power their the defender. We are trying to teach this techinique to our kids.

You can expect holding penalties to go up with this style of blocking. It's much harder to change direction if needed and if a defender gets ahead of you there's not much else you can do.

With that said, you have to have some damn fast and athletic guys to do this.

You can expect holding penalties to go up with this style of blocking. It's much harder to change direction if needed and if a defender gets ahead of you there's not much else you can do.

With that said, you have to have some damn fast and athletic guys to do this.

I don't think it's new for our guys?

The only issue I have had is we seem to play too many small lineman on the interior.

The team that leads the league in rushing most years is Wisky and this is their trick; all guys across the board at 6'5"+ and 300 lbs+ and they just go right at you. They absolutely pulverize the lessor opponents doing this. Seems to work better even if it is not as complex.

The only issue I have had is we seem to play too many small lineman on the interior.

The team that leads the league in rushing most years is Wisky and this is their trick; all guys across the board at 6'5"+ and 300 lbs+ and they just go right at you. They absolutely pulverize the lessor opponents doing this. Seems to work better even if it is not as complex.

Most of the SEC as well. Check out the size of Arkansas’ line.

The problem is it's not easy to find guys that size who have the athletic ability to perform this technique as fundamentally sound as both BF and KF expects. That's why they are okay getting guys who aren't quite as big, but offer more in terms of athleticism. If your smaller guy plays with excellent fundamentals and aggressiveness he can perform at a level equal to or better than a big monster.

When Iowa lands a big athletic guy like Reiff, Bulaga, Donnal, Scherff, Gallery, and most recently Ike Boettger then they usually end up at tackle. I think it helps having shorter guys at guard in Iowa's scheme because it's easier for them to get off the ball and utilize leverage to their advantage.

That was an awesome article by the way. Thanks for sharing.

The holding penalties or the vertical blocking?

The answer to both is no, it's not new.

Congrats. You've recently been nominated to my #1 spot for this boards biggest DB. Thought it was only fair if I shared that with you. Give yourself a pat on the back.

I coach offensive line for youth football. Went to a coaches clinic where they really stressed the backside knee.....and putting it the d-lineman's crotch. Get off the ball and power their the defender. We are trying to teach this techinique to our kids.

Is this a joke? Maybe I am just not visualizing this ciorrectly, but you teach your kids to knee other kids in the crotch. How do you practice something like that? Can you explain what you mean a little better. I too am coaching youth football and am interested in learning anything that can help.

The problem is it's not easy to find guys that size who have the athletic ability to perform this technique as fundamentally sound as both BF and KF expects. That's why they are okay getting guys who aren't quite as big, but offer more in terms of athleticism. If your smaller guy plays with excellent fundamentals and aggressiveness he can perform at a level equal to or better than a big monster.

When Iowa lands a big athletic guy like Reiff, Bulaga, Donnal, Scherff, Gallery, and most recently Ike Boettger then they usually end up at tackle. I think it helps having shorter guys at guard in Iowa's scheme because it's easier for them to get off the ball and utilize leverage to their advantage.

That was an awesome article by the way. Thanks for sharing.

I like KF & BF very much so my comments are purely something I have believed for a long time and that is our offensive lines have been very solid but not elite. We have been super at the tackles as you noted and I agree. It is my belief that our line play is not elite because we often, not always, play too many small stature guys. Yes, they are really coached up and the staff does a great job but the proof is in the pudding and the facts back up this argument.

First what was the best O-Line under the KF era and subsequently the best offense? Answer we all know is 2002. The smallest guy on that line was Bruce Nelson at 6'4" and 300 lbs. Coincidence?

Second how many times have we finished in the top 3 in the conference in rushing the football (B1G stats only)? I throw out the non-con because of the patsies. Compare that to Wisky over the same period.

Third how many interior lineman (guard, center) have we had drafted under KF? Compare that to the tackles.

Fourth take a look at the consistent top 20 programs in major college football and look at their starting O-lines. See a pattern?

Fifth there is a reason the NFL does not draft small lineman. They know what works over the long haul.

I do not buy for a second that in today's age we cannot find 5 guys who are 6'5" and 300 lbs who can also move. You might be able to find this in the state of Iowa alone.

To me there is nothing more important to offensive football than having a great and dominating O-line. I just think KF is stubborn and thinks he can turn undersized guys into productive interior o-lineman. Sometimes it works but not always and possibly not when we need a 1-2 yards the most.

Last edited:
Congrats. You've recently been nominated to my #1 spot for this boards biggest DB. Thought it was only fair if I shared that with you. Give yourself a pat on the back.

And I care what you think because???

Last edited:
Is this a joke? Maybe I am just not visualizing this ciorrectly, but you teach your kids to knee other kids in the crotch. How do you practice something like that? Can you explain what you mean a little better. I too am coaching youth football and am interested in learning anything that can help.

I'm not SPGroth, but I'll give this a shot...

You aren't looking to knee the DL in the crotch...at least how I've taught it in the past. But you want them to visualize the aiming point where you want that knee to go. In a zone scheme, first step needs to get up and down as quickly as possible (while also gaining width) and the 2nd step, if able to put it in the crotch of the DL. gives you as the OL leverage for the outside play. Then one you bring the hands/hips you can gain control of the block and seal your man.

That's the quick & dirty explanation from my perspective.

Latest posts