Iowa lands Morehead guard from portal

I used to look at those posts and run down the list of schools thinking of reasons why/why not for each school to try and determine what would make a player choose particular schools. Now I just look at the lists and google how big their NIL collectives are.

This dude is more than likely gonna go to whoever writes the biggest check and I'd tell my son to do the same thing.

I used to look at those posts and run down the list of schools thinking of reasons why/why not for each school to try and determine what would make a player choose particular schools. Now I just look at the lists and google how big their NIL collectives are.

This dude is more than likely gonna go to whoever writes the biggest check and I'd tell my son to do the same thing.
Right, but Iowa does have some NIL - and opportunity to play in a bigger conference for a coach known to have a fun system for players to thrive in. Not saying Iowa has some edge or anything, but I need to stop (me personally) looking at things from the prospective of Iowa is anywhere near the bottom of the P5 as far as clout and status (at least as things stand) in the world of CBB. There is a lot of hope and I think just the fact that Fran (so far) has kept that core of players all here is a good sign. It's almost (not saying he did) like he WANTED Patrick and Tony to move on and heck, maybe even encouraged it. I know that's crazy of me to say after I kind of melted down over it but I've had some days to sit on it and think about it.... Tony was one of our best players, but, he wasn't a big enough difference maker one way or the other, it might be time for Iowa and he to try something different.

I think having Josh Dix and Peyton Sandfort on the wing along with Owen Freeman in the post is going to make Iowa very very very good next season. I know I am in minority thinking that, but I like that core of 3 now more than I liked having Sandfort, Perkins and Patrick coming into THIS season. It's an upgrade imo.

Right, but Iowa does have some NIL - and opportunity to play in a bigger conference for a coach known to have a fun system for players to thrive in. Not saying Iowa has some edge or anything, but I need to stop (me personally) looking at things from the prospective of Iowa is anywhere near the bottom of the P5 as far as clout and status (at least as things stand) in the world of CBB. There is a lot of hope and I think just the fact that Fran (so far) has kept that core of players all here is a good sign. It's almost (not saying he did) like he WANTED Patrick and Tony to move on and heck, maybe even encouraged it. I know that's crazy of me to say after I kind of melted down over it but I've had some days to sit on it and think about it.... Tony was one of our best players, but, he wasn't a big enough difference maker one way or the other, it might be time for Iowa and he to try something different.

I think having Josh Dix and Peyton Sandfort on the wing along with Owen Freeman in the post is going to make Iowa very very very good next season. I know I am in minority thinking that, but I like that core of 3 now more than I liked having Sandfort, Perkins and Patrick coming into THIS season. It's an upgrade imo.
"Tony was one of our best players, but, he wasn't a big enough difference maker one way or the other...." Perkins literally CARRIED that team at times last season, and was primarily responsible for 3-4 Iowa wins -- at least.

"Tony was one of our best players, but, he wasn't a big enough difference maker one way or the other...." Perkins literally CARRIED that team at times last season, and was primarily responsible for 3-4 Iowa wins -- at least.
You cherry picked a comment here, I said he was one of our best players. He was probably responsible for more then 3 or 4 wins tbh...what I guess I mean was that, in 4 years, he wasn't 1st team all conference, he didn't average above 14 points a game, he didn't take Iowa to a level that our fans want to get (Sweet 16) and he had the ball in hands for pretty much 30 minutes a game these past 2 seasons. His contributions were awesome but ultimately, I feel safe saying he wasn't special and he got 4 years to prove that. There's a chance that our staff might want to give some other options/combinations a shot and maybe some with better outside shooting, to see if they might take us somewhere Tony was unable to. I am not saying he was a problem, he wasn't an issue, he was one of our best players, just not the difference maker that ultimately led Iowa to anything.

For what its worth, I thought Perk was a very good player, but was a role player on a good team; not the star of a team. If he was a star, he had a chance to be that this year, and largely he wasn't. Other than a few games, he was good but not great most of the year. Garza, the Murrays, they showed up nearly every game with 20+ difference making point. TP was invisible some games.

That is not to say that TP was not a loss. He was. But, he is replaceable with a combination of existing and incoming guys, IMHO.

we have 2 left open. I am completely shocked that Riley didn't RS this season to have more eligibility at a lower level school. His name not being the the portal is an absolute mystery to me because I totally read that move wrong. I have some serious doubts there as well. I just saw where Iowa is in on another guard as well, so looks like we could get to G and 1 post if we get what we want.
Riley's in the pregame hype video, which I found weird for a non-active player this year. What the heck is this young man doing? Why doesn't the Iowa staff talk about him or his future? I understand on a personal level why Iowa keeps the scolly of the young lady on the women's team, it's a heartbreaking story and hopefully one day Iowa fans will give her a tearful Molly Davis send off at the end of her career. Nobody should complain about her scolly because it's too sad and unfair what happened to her. But Riley? Sadly in todays portal reality, Kirk, Bluder, and Fran will have to face the facts that some players will need to be "encouraged" to leave. With the rights of college players to have NIL $ comes the responsibility and reality that it's now a business, and in business you can get sacked.

I used to look at those posts and run down the list of schools thinking of reasons why/why not for each school to try and determine what would make a playerchoose particular schools. Now I just look at the and google how big their NIL collectives are.

Just throwing out numbers here, but you would tell your son to go to a shitty program where he's going to hate the next 4 years of his life for 500k over a good program where he would love the next 4 years of his life for 450k? To each their own but I hope your being a bit hiberholic with that comment. Money is obviously a pretty important thing in life, but I can't imagine telling my kids to base every decision solely on money.

we have 2 left open. I am completely shocked that Riley didn't RS this season to have more eligibility at a lower level school. His name not being the the portal is an absolute mystery to me because I totally read that move wrong. I have some serious doubts there as well. I just saw where Iowa is in on another guard as well, so looks like we could get to G and 1 post if we get what we want.
Maybe it is that Fran sees potential in him after all and wants to maximize the amount of time he can contribute. I wouldn't have bet on that being the case, but it's looking more possible. Fran is obviously a pretty good evaluator of kid's future talent. Maybe he sees a high ceiling in Riley and he needs more time to get there. That would be a really good thing because he's really tall and really long. Something we need.

Just throwing out numbers here, but you would tell your son to go to a shitty program where he's going to hate the next 4 years of his life for 500k over a good program where he would love the next 4 years of his life for 450k? To each their own but I hope your being a bit hiberholic with that comment. Money is obviously a pretty important thing in life, but I can't imagine telling my kids to base every decision solely on money.
Hate his life for the next 4 years? I think the hyperbole is yours. Pretty sure Iowa’s not within 10% of bigger NIL programs either.

Hate his life for the next 4 years? I think the hyperbole is yours. Pretty sure Iowa’s not within 10% of bigger NIL programs either.
I layed out an extreme example to question how accurate your statement of telling your kid to go to whoever writes the biggest check was.

According to the NCAA, the Iowa collective “collected” 9.5 million in funds in 2023-24. Ohio State led with 20 million. Iowa was 7th out of 18 Big ten teams, I believe. My opinion is that Iowa is doing a good job with its collective.

Simply google NCAA NIL and the data is there to study.

According to the NCAA, the Iowa collective “collected” 9.5 million in funds in 2023-24. Ohio State led with 20 million. Iowa was 7th out of 18 Big ten teams, I believe. My opinion is that Iowa is doing a good job with its collective.

Actually, google “NCAA Collectives.” It is amazing data on all of the major schools.

Please note that these are estimates based on the methodology of the report. The collectives are not required to report actual numbers.

Funny that Iowa’s coach has basically said they can’t afford to compete in the NIL space then, huh?

Riley's in the pregame hype video, which I found weird for a non-active player this year. What the heck is this young man doing? Why doesn't the Iowa staff talk about him or his future? I understand on a personal level why Iowa keeps the scolly of the young lady on the women's team, it's a heartbreaking story and hopefully one day Iowa fans will give her a tearful Molly Davis send off at the end of her career. Nobody should complain about her scolly because it's too sad and unfair what happened to her. But Riley? Sadly in todays portal reality, Kirk, Bluder, and Fran will have to face the facts that some players will need to be "encouraged" to leave. With the rights of college players to have NIL $ comes the responsibility and reality that it's now a business, and in business you can get sacked.
I feel confident the coaches and Riley are completely transparent and a plan is in place one way or the other. Who's to say Riley isn't happy with his role so far? Maybe he loves Iowa City. Maybe his new GF is here. Maybe he enjoys his friendship with the other players on the team. Playing time and being the man isn't always the case for every kid, everyone has a different timeline and journey. I just assumed the move they made this year was to help Riley retain eligibility for another program. If it was to keep him at Iowa and somehow he develops into a contributor, that would be something no one saw coming.

Thank you. I had no idea.

It's also possible he's more likely to contribute than any posts they can find in the portal. Les Jepsen for example didn't look like much his first couple of years.

Pretty sure that TP went to Missouri due to NIL. What, do you think their stellar 0-18 record in the SEC is what drew him there?

Maybe it is that Fran sees potential in him after all and wants to maximize the amount of time he can contribute. I wouldn't have bet on that being the case, but it's looking more possible. Fran is obviously a pretty good evaluator of kid's future talent. Maybe he sees a high ceiling in Riley and he needs more time to get there. That would be a really good thing because he's really tall and really long. Something we need.
Fran also seems to have no hesitation letting a player know when it may be best to move on. He cleared out almost an entire class in his early years.

Latest posts