Iowa lands Morehead guard from portal

That's a pretty good pick up all things considered. I don't think many of us (myself included) ever considered that we might upgrade at guard... I mean, i am sure he's not Tony Perkins, but he might be better than Bowen and it gives us much needed depth there.

I love his 6 assists/gm last yr. That's phenomenal. Doesn't look like the greatest shooter ever but he's not terrible at it. He doesn't look like the kind of guy who'll turn down open in rhythm shots due to a lack of confidence. 6'3 and a built 195 I really like so he's in Tonys ball park size wise. He doesn't have to match Tonys 14 pts but if he can get the same 10 or so he seems to get and just make FTs better that'd be about the main thing I'd hope for from him. That 64% from FT line last yr is pretty bad though surely he's capable of doing closer to 75%

But kid is experienced played a lot of ball and won a lot of games I'd say he's a very welcomed addition. Certainly an upgrade from what Bowen probably woulda been had he stayed.

I love his 6 assists/gm last yr. That's phenomenal. Doesn't look like the greatest shooter ever but he's not terrible at it. He doesn't look like the kind of guy who'll turn down open in rhythm shots due to a lack of confidence. 6'3 and a built 195 I really like so he's in Tonys ball park size wise. He doesn't have to match Tonys 14 pts but if he can get the same 10 or so he seems to get and just make FTs better that'd be about the main thing I'd hope for from him. That 64% from FT line last yr is pretty bad though surely he's capable of doing closer to 75%

But kid is experienced played a lot of ball and won a lot of games I'd say he's a very welcomed addition. Certainly an upgrade from what Bowen probably woulda been had he stayed.

I like the assist average and assume it is what Fran was looking at here. Everything else seems subpar for a Big Ten point guard.

Then again we are used to that from Fran as this has been his greatest struggle since he was hired. He does great with B1GS and get his teams to score, but defense has been amiss and it always cost him every March.

Can’t help but see the correlation to a lack of an all Big Ten point guard and consistent poor defenses. It’s not rocket science. Penetration against our guards leads mismatches with the opponents Post players which in turn leads to lay ups and slam dunks.

Having said that we are best to stay with Fran in this topsy turby basketball world with the portal and NIL monsters out there lurking.

Last edited:
Sounds like he slumped a little from his sophomore to junior year. Iowa should have the resources to help get his game back to his previous level or higher.

Good to have our first portal recruit be a combo guard with skills. Going into today, Iowa had only two true guards on the roster.

Kind of typical guard recruit for McCaffrey. Don't know anything about him but probably mid major talent. Maybe helps with depth but not going to move the needle

Kind of typical guard recruit for McCaffrey. Don't know anything about him but probably mid major talent. Maybe helps with depth but not going to move the needle
Yeah he'll be ok. Maybe he can even have a couple big games. But even if he just matches what he's been doing he's not really gonna move the needle. He'll just be a little better version of whatever Bowen mighta given us instead. Just a stop gap cause they couldn't get anyone better

Feels like a depth guy, not a starter. As fnntn noted, maybe he gets Bowen type minutes at the start of the season and see if he deserves more as things go along. We needed a guy like this for depth, and this seems like a pretty good get. If we can hold the rest of the squad together, I still like our chances next season to be pretty good.

Feels like a depth guy, not a starter. As fnntn noted, maybe he gets Bowen type minutes at the start of the season and see if he deserves more as things go along. We needed a guy like this for depth, and this seems like a pretty good get. If we can hold the rest of the squad together, I still like our chances next season to be pretty good.
Iowa's not looking for starters IMO, I mean, if they find one, bonus, but I feel like we're fairly set everywhere except maybe the 4 and that's because we bring in 2 new potentials and will be interesting to see how Dembele progresses

Iowa's not looking for starters IMO, I mean, if they find one, bonus, but I feel like we're fairly set everywhere except maybe the 4 and that's because we bring in 2 new potentials and will be interesting to see how Dembele progresses
The battle for the 4 spot will be interesting. Do they try to bring in another Rebraca or Krikke type? Or do they have Dembele and Tadjo just battle it out for those mins?

The battle for the 4 spot will be interesting. Do they try to bring in another Rebraca or Krikke type? Or do they have Dembele and Tadjo just battle it out for those mins?
We definitely need another post player and Fran has said he's looking for that as well. I think what I lost in my original melt down about losing Pat and Tony is that Iowa is still a legit landing spot. Players want to go where they can play in March and it's hard to argue that Iowa doesn't get there at a pretty solid pace under our current coach. It's also a really fun offense to play and thrive in from a scoring aspect. There's also only 90 starting slots in the B1G ten and Iowa is likely somewhere in the middle of that frey. I think Iowa might get another good post player now too. They are in on some good ones if you're following along on Twitter.

We definitely need another post player and Fran has said he's looking for that as well. I think what I lost in my original melt down about losing Pat and Tony is that Iowa is still a legit landing spot. Players want to go where they can play in March and it's hard to argue that Iowa doesn't get there at a pretty solid pace under our current coach. It's also a really fun offense to play and thrive in from a scoring aspect. There's also only 90 starting slots in the B1G ten and Iowa is likely somewhere in the middle of that frey. I think Iowa might get another good post player now too. They are in on some good ones if you're following along on Twitter.
The only reason I hesitate on if they bring in another body is due to Mulvey not having hopped in the portal himself yet. Maybe they think he can backup Freeman... I'll believe it when I see it I'm not confident he's all that good. I'm not even up to speed on our scholly situation do we have one more open?

The only reason I hesitate on if they bring in another body is due to Mulvey not having hopped in the portal himself yet. Maybe they think he can backup Freeman... I'll believe it when I see it I'm not confident he's all that good. I'm not even up to speed on our scholly situation do we have one more open?
we have 2 left open. I am completely shocked that Riley didn't RS this season to have more eligibility at a lower level school. His name not being the the portal is an absolute mystery to me because I totally read that move wrong. I have some serious doubts there as well. I just saw where Iowa is in on another guard as well, so looks like we could get to G and 1 post if we get what we want.

Latest posts