Iowa is One of the Most Unluckiest Teams in the NCAA

Luck - A measure of the deviation between a team’s actual winning percentage and what one would expect from its game-by-game efficiencies. It’s a Dean Oliver invention. Essentially, a team involved in a lot of close games should not win (or lose) all of them. Those that do will be viewed as lucky (or unlucky).

the kenpom.com blog

Luck - A measure of the deviation between a team’s actual winning percentage and what one would expect from its game-by-game efficiencies. It’s a Dean Oliver invention. Essentially, a team involved in a lot of close games should not win (or lose) all of them. Those that do will be viewed as lucky (or unlucky).

the kenpom.com blog

Pardon me while I shift into inquisitive 7 year-old mode.

"But why"?

Iowa's in the Top Ten again. Too bad it is the Unlucky Top Ten.

Are we really going to have to win the unlucky championship before things turn around?

AIBBHGoCG?

I agree completely that we are one of the most unluckiest teams in NCAA. Whenever games come down to the wire, the other team always seems able to shoot a game winning shot, while we can never hit one. It was this way last year to. Whens the last time we have hit a buzzer beater? When's the last time we've won a close game? We either lose by a little, or win by alot. Also, teams always have their best games when they face Iowa(with the exception of Michigan). Maybe this bad luck will cause teams in the tourny to underestimate us, allowing us to creep a few wins.

Hopefully, GoHawk, hopefully.

Hopefully it doesn't damage Iowa's psyche. It's just ridiculous how many buzzer beaters (shot and game clock) there have been and especially since almost all of them have been defended great to at least decent pressure. < sighs > Tough on fans? Imagine how tough it is for the players.

You make your own luck. If we would put teams away we we have the chance it wouldn't come down to the final minutes

I agree completely that we are one of the most unluckiest teams in NCAA. Whenever games come down to the wire, the other team always seems able to shoot a game winning shot, while we can never hit one. It was this way last year to. Whens the last time we have hit a buzzer beater? When's the last time we've won a close game? We either lose by a little, or win by alot. Also, teams always have their best games when they face Iowa(with the exception of Michigan). Maybe this bad luck will cause teams in the tourny to underestimate us, allowing us to creep a few wins.

Iowa is not unlucky. The Hawks just are very average. They are not athletic, cannot shoot the ball well on a consistent basis and rarely go up strong to the basket.

Today I had an opportunity to watch the Wichita State game here in St. Louis. I was fortunate to sit in the 9th row from center court. Wichita State is for real. They have length, are extremely athletic and have 4 legit shooters although Baker was not on today.

You make luck for yourself when you have more talent. Iowa needs the type of athletes Wichita State has period.

You prepare to make your own luck. It's not luck when the last 5 teams you play shoot above their season avg. IT'S YOU (IOWA) that hasn't done anything to make its luck. Truly disturbing how bad this team is down the stretch. The thread that said Mel and Dev were out at the bars getting their drink on may have been accurate. Helluva time for Marble to look out of it.

You make your own luck. If we would put teams away we we have the chance it wouldn't come down to the final minutes

Obviously you can't lose if you blow a team out but you do realize there is another team trying to blow you out too right? A lot of games come down to a couple possessions and when they do, there is a lot of luck involved.

When you throw the ball away like we did 2 possessions in a row, that's not luck. When you leave a guy wide open underneath the basket, that's not bad luck. When you don't box out and a guy gets the put back, that's not bad luck.

When the other team makes big shot after big shot, that is bad luck. When they make every single free throw down the stretch, that's bad luck. When every single call or no call goes against you, that's bad luck. And when every single last second shot goes in against you, that's Iowa luck.

Latest posts