Iowa is one of only 7 self-supporting athletic programs...

Herky92

Interesting article from USA Today discussing the rising costs of college sports. The article states that only 14 athletic programs were self-supporting in 2009 (doesn't name the schools).

It also states that only 7 athletic programs have been self-supporting in each of the past 5 years. They are Georgia, Iowa, LSU, Michigan, Nebraska, Oklahoma, and Texas. I'm surprised that Ohio State is not on this list.

Schools raising fees to keep up with cost of college sports - USATODAY.com

I think this is pretty cool...it makes me like Iowa even more. It also speaks volumes about our fanbase.

Interesting article from USA Today discussing the rising costs of college sports. The article states that only 14 athletic programs were self-supporting in 2009 (doesn't name the schools).

It also states that only 7 athletic programs have been self-supporting in each of the past 5 years. They are Georgia, Iowa, LSU, Michigan, Nebraska, Oklahoma, and Texas. I'm surprised that Ohio State is not on this list.

They pay no attention to the salary cap and they continually outbid themselves for players.

Makes you wonder what we could accomplish if we actually took state money.

We would accomplish less because in no way I have seen does government involvement spell growth and excitement because controll ceases.

I think that this is one of the coolest things I have seen about how tremendous our fanbase is!

I think those that contribute money, ticket purchases and apparell purchases should get a big pat on the back!

I'm surprised the Clownz aren't on this list, given their super-financially savvy all-knowing wonderkind Follard at the wheel.....

I guess Bowlsby, Barta and the UI Foundation have all done a pretty good job over the years.

I'm surprised the Clownz aren't on this list, given their super-financially savvy all-knowing wonderkind Follard at the wheel.....

Pollard has done a good job fund raising for ISU....

I don't think Billy Mays, RIP, could raise enough funds to put the Clones on this list.

Pollard has done a good job fund raising for ISU....

I don't think Billy Mays, RIP, could raise enough funds to put the Clones on this list.

A large bump in increased revenue was from the take over of Hilton by the athletic department, from a management company. Remember, this guy is an accountant.

So since the Athletic Department is receiving no federal or state money to support the department, then Title IX doesn't/shouldn't have any influence over "equal" distribution of scholarships.

Those schools should be able to chose the sports they want to spend money on without worrying about equal scholarships or spending millions on olympic sports like rowing.

So since the Athletic Department is receiving no federal or state money to support the department, then Title IX doesn't/shouldn't have any influence over "equal" distribution of scholarships.

Those schools should be able to chose the sports they want to spend money on without worrying about equal scholarships or spending millions on olympic sports like rowing.

That's interesting; I don't imagine Iowa turning away from title nine in the future. However, from a pure business stand point it may make sense. Even though they are probably not profitable, I wouldn't drop softball, womens basketball, or womens gymnastics, but there are certainly some programs that I wouldn't even know were gone if they were dropped.

1. The University of Iowa is a public university, a State of Iowa institution since 1847. (You might want to tell poster Lindholm this rather basic fact)

2. As a state institution the U of Iowa falls directly and unquestionably within the limits imposed by the 14th Amendment to the US Constitution (plus similar restrictions in the Iowa State Constituion itself)--both the Equal Protection Clause and the Privileges & Immunities Clause.

3. Ultimately, the ownership of the physical plant, buildings, equipment, etc of the U of Iowa belongs to the State of Iowa--including Kinnick STadim and Carver-Hawkeye Arena.

4. All rules, regulations, procedures, etc at the U of Iowa depend for their vlidity upon delegation of authority by the State of Iowa to state-authorized officials who administer them.

5. In more immediate, mundane relevance, the University of Iowa receives many times more dollars from the federal government than are reaised and spent by the athletic programs. The federal dollars in the Pell Grant program alone dwarf the money for athletic schollies.

6. You probably could make a better case legally against your son having to serve next to a woman in Afghanistan combat than to claim that the State University of Iowa should be exempt from Title IX.

I believe the Iowa State legislators also have notified ISU and UNI that they no longer will get state dollars for their athletic departments. Both schools have to come up with a plan by September and present the plan to the State saying how they plan to wean themselves off State money.

I'm not sure that is fair for UNI, not being in division I in most sports. But for the clowns, I think it is good. If Iowa can do it, so should the clowns. If not then they need to drop sports or move to a different division--one of which does not require such high salaries for their coaches, for example, football. If they have to pay a million dollar salary for coach or high salaries to compete in the Big IX but need state dollars to do it, then perhaps they need to move to a smaller division or conference, one that does not require those kind of salaries and travel expenses.

Just saying that with all the other problems the state is experiencing financially, either the clown faithful need to step up and support their program or the clowns need to downsize their programs.

I believe the Iowa State legislators also have notified ISU and UNI that they no longer will get state dollars for their athletic departments. Both schools have to come up with a plan by September and present the plan to the State saying how they plan to wean themselves off State money.

I'm not sure that is fair for UNI, not being in division I in most sports. But for the clowns, I think it is good. If Iowa can do it, so should the clowns. If not then they need to drop sports or move to a different division--one of which does not require such high salaries for their coaches, for example, football. If they have to pay a million dollar salary for coach or high salaries to compete in the Big IX but need state dollars to do it, then perhaps they need to move to a smaller division or conference, one that does not require those kind of salaries and travel expenses.

Just saying that with all the other problems the state is experiencing financially, either the clown faithful need to step up and support their program or the clowns need to downsize their programs.

Couldn't agree more; it makes me ill knowing that some of my tax dollars go to supporting their athletic programs.

Latest posts