Iowa is no longer #1

ssckelley

After losing Lee the voters have knocked Iowa out of the top spot for the first time after 28 consecutive polls being #1.

Hopefully this creates a chip on their shoulder. The dual versus PSU on January 28th is gonna be wild in Carver.

After losing Lee the voters have knocked Iowa out of the top spot for the first time after 28 consecutive polls being #1.

Hopefully this creates a chip on their shoulder. The dual versus PSU on January 28th is gonna be wild in Carver.

Intermat is what people go by in wrestling. We've been #2 in Dual and Tourney rankings since before Minnesota and Purdue.

My cousin is a wrestling coach in SE Iowa, one of his wrestler's dads (rich and owns a bunch of motels) offered me $600 for my 3 seats.

It's gonna be a crazy environment. Iowa is going to need every bit of that crowd energy in order to pull off a couple of upsets.

It's gonna be a crazy environment. Iowa is going to need every bit of that crowd energy in order to pull off a couple of upsets.
Yeah to be honest I don't feel good about this one anymore. At the start of the season I'd have said we were ok, but Eierman has been flat so far, Kaleb Young has been atrocious, and 184 is a wildcard with Assad.

Obviously Spencer being out is the dagger in the heart, Ayala will be a national champ someday but not this year. Kemerer vs Starocci I'm not sure how I feel about that one at the dual. If Kem wins he's the new #1 and favorite, but if he wins that's also fuel for Starocci to come back in Lincoln/Detroit with a vengance.

Young and Murin will probably be round of 12 guys in Detroit, and PSU has 3 potential champs. Winning the individual title is 16 points, almost insurmountable if that happens.

To win the natty we need (IMO) 2 out of 3 things to happen...

1) Some PSU injuries

2) Desanto, Marinelli, Kemerer, Cass, and Eierman to all go deep

3) A huge upset out of the gate early on, either our guys taking one, or theirs losing one.

Last edited:
4 good matches tonight ranked vs ranked. Interesting to see what Ayala can do after the upset last match. Pumped.

Penn State looks really tough, not sure we can get em without a very very good team performance.

We are now number 3, switched spots with Michigan. Will need total team A game this Friday. By rankings we lose 6 matches to 4. Need a couple upsets to get this one.......

We are now number 3, switched spots with Michigan. Will need total team A game this Friday. By rankings we lose 6 matches to 4. Need a couple upsets to get this one.......
I'm pretty sure we're gonna get spanked. Penn state has the team this year that we had last year, only better.

Kerkvliet beat Parris the other day and Starocci looks like a man amongst boys out there; just mowing guys down.

125 - Tossup. Haven't seen enough of Ayala in B1G yet. He Looked great agaqinst Shroder and DeAugustino, but looked outmatched and uncomfortable against McKee and Heinselman. Hildebrandt is a senior, advantage PSU - 0-3

133 - RBY owns DeSanto every time. He's ADS's Achilles heel. 0-6

141 - Eierman has been off his game or hurt all year, Lee is healthy and wrestling strong. 0-9

149 - Murin should be able to handle Bartlett. He hasn't wrestled anyone so far this year and Max looks like he's in good form. 3-9

157 - If Young loses this match in the biggest dual of his career against an unranked guy, so help me god he should never lace up the shoes again. MD Young. 7-9

165 - Should be Marinelli. The only top 10 victory Berge has had in his career is against Kaleb Young last year at 157. After getting embarrassed last week Marinelli is going to come out guns blazing. 10-9

174 - This is where the wheels start to fall off for Iowa. Starocci is in championship form right now dropping opponents like flies. 7 years in the program has worn Kemerer down and he's basically perpetually injured. I love Kem Dawg, he's my favorite wrestler on this team, but it ain't happening. 10-12

184 - No contest here. Brooks has 7 wins this year over top 20 ranked guys and most of the were majors. MD over Asaad. 10-16

197 - Same as above. Dean is rolling through opponents this year. Only loss is to #3 and Warner is wrestling not to lose this year. Looks tired and gassed by the end of the 1st period every match. Warner's only hope is to keep it to a decision. 10-19

HWT - Kerkvliet is showing himself to be on another level this year. Basically, he and Cass switched spots from last year. He convincingly took out Parris last week 8-5, and has only given up 15 points in 11 matches this year (5 of those to Parris). I thought Cass getting lean was going to help, but it's done the opposite. He isn't a whole lot quicker, and he doesn't have the weight to ride guys out and force positions. Bad combo. MD for Kerkvliet. 10-23

I'm coming up with a conservative 13 point loss; I don't think there's an way to make up that difference, even with a pin somewhere. It's going to literally take 3-4 huge upsets and that's not really a decent possibility even with CHA being the venue.

One thing I think we're learning this year with everything going on, is that it's not realistic to have guys in the program for 5, 6, 7 years and expect good results as a senior-heavy team. NCAA wrestling at the top level like this is just murder on your body, and it starts to take a toll at year 4 and beyond. It was a great run last year, I wish we had 2020 back to do over again. It's going to be a few years I think before we get the next big lineup of Hawks solidified.

All that said I hope and pray that I'm wrong. Go Hawks.

Wrestling fanatics are crazy, but I'm going to have to make it out for a meet sometime. Looks wild.

A big meet at Carver is insane. I went to an Iowa-Ohio State basketball game and then later that night an Iowa-Oklahoma State meet. The difference in the crowd was night and day. The meet was standing room only and had a noise level I hadn't heard in Carver bince I was a kid in the late '80's and early '90's when the hoops team hadn't obliterated all of its goodwill and the hoops fanbase wasn't a bunch of blue hairs. If I lived anywhere close I would get seasons. My son wants to go so bad but it is soooooo far from us and the weather is too unpredictable.

I'm pretty sure we're gonna get spanked. Penn state has the team this year that we had last year, only better.

Kerkvliet beat Parris the other day and Starocci looks like a man amongst boys out there; just mowing guys down.

125 - Tossup. Haven't seen enough of Ayala in B1G yet. He Looked great agaqinst Shroder and DeAugustino, but looked outmatched and uncomfortable against McKee and Heinselman. Hildebrandt is a senior, advantage PSU - 0-3

141 - Eierman has been off his game or hurt all year, Lee is healthy and wrestling strong. 0-9

149 - Murin should be able to handle Bartlett. He hasn't wrestled anyone so far this year and Max looks like he's in good form. 3-9

157 - If Young loses this match in the biggest dual of his career against an unranked guy, so help me god he should never lace up the shoes again. MD Young. 7-9

165 - Should be Marinelli. The only top 10 victory Berge has had in his career is against Kaleb Young last year at 157. After getting embarrassed last week Marinelli is going to come out guns blazing. 10-9

174 - This is where the wheels start to fall off for Iowa. Starocci is in championship form right now dropping opponents like flies. 7 years in the program has worn Kemerer down and he's basically perpetually injured. I love Kem Dawg, he's my favorite wrestler on this team, but it ain't happening. 10-12

184 - No contest here. Brooks has 7 wins this year over top 20 ranked guys and most of the were majors. MD over Asaad. 10-16

197 - Same as above. Dean is rolling through opponents this year. Only loss is to #3 and Warner is wrestling not to lose this year. Looks tired and gassed by the end of the 1st period every match. Warner's only hope is to keep it to a decision. 10-19

HWT - Kerkvliet is showing himself to be on another level this year. Basically, he and Cass switched spots from last year. He convincingly took out Parris last week 8-5, and has only given up 15 points in 11 matches this year (5 of those to Parris). I thought Cass getting lean was going to help, but it's done the opposite. He isn't a whole lot quicker, and he doesn't have the weight to ride guys out and force positions. Bad combo. MD for Kerkvliet. 10-23

I'm coming up with a conservative 13 point loss; I don't think there's an way to make up that difference, even with a pin somewhere. It's going to literally take 3-4 huge upsets and that's not really a decent possibility even with CHA being the venue.

One thing I think we're learning this year with everything going on, is that it's not realistic to have guys in the program for 5, 6, 7 years and expect good results as a senior-heavy team. NCAA wrestling at the top level like this is just murder on your body, and it starts to take a toll at year 4 and beyond. It was a great run last year, I wish we had 2020 back to do over again. It's going to be a few years I think before we get the next big lineup of Hawks solidified.

Ayala being hurt was a big loss. He might not have won but he doesn’t get MD. Desanto, Eireman and Kemdog wrestled good against their higher ranked opponents. All 3 could have went either way. Kem got the big F you from the refs. That match was his hands down. Total BS by the refs. Assad wrestled his ass off. Lost by 4 points. Damn nice. Cass is on a mission this year and his win tonight was huge. I can see him runner up this year. Warner is just an overall disappointment. If they can get Ayala back by Big Tens and they just tighten a few screws. I can see a NC repeat this year!

Ayala being hurt was a big loss. He might not have won but he doesn’t get MD. Desanto, Eireman and Kemdog wrestled good against their higher ranked opponents. All 3 could have went either way. Kem got the big F you from the refs. That match was his hands down. Total BS by the refs. Assad wrestled his ass off. Lost by 4 points. Damn nice. Cass is on a mission this year and his win tonight was huge. I can see him runner up this year. Warner is just an overall disappointment. If they can get Ayala back by Big Tens and they just tighten a few screws. I can see a NC repeat this year!
Yeah felt bad for Warner. He ran out of gas and then the camera angle, man looked bad as he got stuck. He not going to like watching the film on that. Caleb Young gutted it out for the W. Ayala with a W or a decision loss and Kemdog or DePsycho wins Hawks win this one. First time DeSanto was fully healthy in awhile wrestling RBY and he did well, just a bit short. Was close though, if we wrestled again Hawks could possibly win it. If we had Spencer in the lineup, this is a W, period.