Iowa is new No. 1 in Top 25 - CBS Sports

I think Parrish is right in that anyone could put 5-6 teams as #1. I think he is at least consistent and has solid reasoning for what he does. He had Iowa #2 and Okie #1. OK lost; Iowa won so he switches the two instead of moving Nova to #1. That's being consistent; plus the factoids support his reasoning.

Hawks aren't going to jump from #5 to #1 in the AP. But I don't care.

The goal now is to win the regular season at no less than 16-2, make the BigTen Finals and finish with a #1 seed in Des Moines and then Chicago.

GrandpaHawk;1492874i said:
Until we beat them Maryland should be ranked ahead of us.

Thats a silly way of thinkin... One head to head loss in basketball doesn't trump all. Many factors to consider such as quality of wins and strength of schedule.

Until Maryland comes to Carver and beats us at home and or beats the teams Iowa has already beaten like Michigan State. Also, no team is undefeated so any team you put at #1 would have some team claiming they should be because they beat them. JEESH!

I'm sure there will be voters that do that. But Iowa has a lot better resume in quality wins and quality wins on the road. Maryland only has two quality wins at home: close, hard-fought wins vs. Iowa and Purdue.

Iowa is blowing bad and good teams away home and away.

So saying "should" should not be that definitive.

Ok I will agree our resume is better than Marylands but think their our equal as far as how good they are.At least we should go into the big dance not being a 8-9 seed for a change.Go Hawks

I don't think this is an unfair assessment. They beat us recently. Yes it was on their home floor, but what do we want to be about excuses? Recent win over us..they can't determine where it was played...they beat michigan and purdue this week...ranked higher already. I'd have us #2 or #3 and Maryland #1. He didn't say Maryland is better.

Sorry Grandpa .. but I respectfully disagree for the following reasons:
  • Iowa's SoS is much better than Maryland's.
  • Quality wins matter and Iowa has more of them, regardless of where.
  • When Iowa played Maryland, the Hawks had a a bad shooting night. Maybe some of that can be attributed to the MD defense, but it was by far Iowa's worst performance of the B1G season.
  • It was only a 6 point difference .. on their home court, someplace they haven't lost a B1G game .. EVER.

Give me Iowa at CHA .. or even a neutral court. I'll take Iowa every time.

GO HAWKS!!!

I "sort of" agree, though the win was single digits, at home and one of the worst games Iowa has played all season. Given that, I would love Maryland to be #1, Iowa #2 with a B1G title game the last game before final rankings and seedings come out.........wishful thinking but wouldnt that be hyped up game!

Last edited:
At this point I think the only thing that should matter to Iowa is getting a 1 or 2 seed and getting the first round in Des Moines and the Second round in Chicago. That would be a heavily biased Iowa crowd, and great to see.

Iowa is very good, but #1 in the nation?

If you compare resumes, it's very close. As the article said, you can't really argue against Iowa, MD (except maybe fewer Top 25 wins), Nova, OU, etc. based on resume. Is Iowa the best? Not sure about that, but they've earned the right to be in the discussion so far, I think.

I expect Iowa to be at #3 in the AP tomorrow. Nova or MD at 1 & 2, in whatever order. Nova won @ #11 yesterday, so I can't feel slighted if Iowa is still just behind them, considering they were ahead of us this week. PSU & ILL wins are fine, but nothing to make us jump anyone this week IMO.

At this point I think the only thing that should matter to Iowa is getting a 1 or 2 seed and getting the first round in Des Moines and the Second round in Chicago. That would be a heavily biased Iowa crowd, and great to see.

Agreed. I'd love to see Iowa win the Big 10, and seeing them at #1 in the country again would be very cool, but I'm honestly more focused on getting a Top 1-2 seed, and good bracket in the big dance.

I think Parrish is right in that anyone could put 5-6 teams as #1. I think he is at least consistent and has solid reasoning for what he does. He had Iowa #2 and Okie #1. OK lost; Iowa won so he switches the two instead of moving Nova to #1. That's being consistent; plus the factoids support his reasoning.

Hawks aren't going to jump from #5 to #1 in the AP. But I don't care.

The goal now is to win the regular season at no less than 16-2, make the BigTen Finals and finish with a #1 seed in Des Moines and then Chicago.

Mind blown.......but this is doable, very doable.

I hope we face Maryland in the Big 10 Tournament or the NCAA Tournament. Otherwise we could be the first team to win a National Championship and not end the season number 1. Just jokes grandpa.

I hope we face Maryland in the Big 10 Tournament or the NCAA Tournament. Otherwise we could be the first team to win a National Championship and not end the season number 1. Just jokes grandpa.

Better watch it Sonny!

Agreed. I'd love to see Iowa win the Big 10, and seeing them at #1 in the country again would be very cool, but I'm honestly more focused on getting a Top 1-2 seed, and good bracket in the big dance.

If we beat Indiana Thursday there's a really good chance we see number 1 at some point this year. After the Maryland game I said I was curious to see how we play against bad teams. Turns out we can beat them by double digits even when we shoot bad. That makes me pretty confident there will be no bad loses this year.

So like I said, beat Indiana and we don't play another team that's even average until the last 4 games of the year ( 3 games if you don't count Wisconsin at home). That buys us 2 weeks of hoping Maryland and Villanova lose to make us number 1. I really think it happens if we win Thursday.

Latest posts