Iowa is just bad Offense

Unlike Fry's last year it didn't look like the team quit on Kirk. The effort was there at times but there were too many mistakes, poor blocking, pass protection, interceptions, etc....

its literally the worst in the nation
I agree. This is the worst Iowa team I have seen since the late Hayden Fry days. It’s the same situation too. Hayden had Tim Dwight and Tavian Banks on the sidelines and refused to play anyone but Cedric Shaw. He had two five stars on his bench!

It’s just stubborn defiance. No one can tell you what to change, even if it’s blatantly obvious.

Petras shouldn’t be the starting QB anywhere. He’s a three (three) year starter at Iowa. Good God, I wish I’d been born in Ohio.

Just the worst I have seen in first 2 games this year. Reminds me of the end of Hayde Fry Era 45 year hawkfan it's tuff.
After tonight I’m done. I’ve realized my time is way too valuable to spend it watching a shit show that can’t even admit there’s a problem yet alone fix it. If I happen to be home and there’s nothing else going on I may sit down and watch it but I just can’t make watching them a priority anymore.
Love the defense and special teams but how does a team allow themselves to have 24 of 27 snaps in 3rd/4th quarter with your defense on the field. Screw ISU and their 99 yard 12 minute drive. You simply can’t expect a defense to continually be called upon to get it done when your offense at that point went 5/6 possessions going 3 and out.
We use to lose games in the closing minutes because our defense was too gassed to make a stop. Now we’re seeing 11 minute drives starting in the 3rd quarter. Call me a fair weather fan or tell me I’m over reacting, at this point I don’t care because the bottom line is I’m nothing more than a fan and an absolute nobody. The game actually means something to the coaches and the players, but if they can’t figure out theirs a problem and how to fix it then I’ll let them spend the time pretending there’s no problem and I’ll spend my time doing something else.

Rant over.

With Fry the talent level took a huge drop off in a very short time. Rivals were using his age against him but fans were blindsided by the drop in production. The rise of Wisconsin led directly to the fall of Iowa. Iowa's offensive line was full of Wisconsin kids. Barry shut that tap off and Fry didn't recover. We had a lot of recruiting misses the last couple of years and defection and injuries. But the biggest miss has been at QB. Iowa has not recruited good ones recently. OR it's bad coaching, but it isn't Parker or Woods. Many former players point towards losing S&C coach Doyle. I think it's a combination. Even still Iowa can rebound and win the West. I've given Iowa up for dead before and they rip off several unlikely wins.

After tonight I’m done.

Wow. I had just read your post in one of the other threads and thought "I remember the positive @kicker22 - a 'glass is 1/2 full' guy. I miss that guy".

Are you okay, man? It's just entertainment, right?

I think we should all probably hit youtube and watch some '02 highlights. Halftime of the Michigan game Holly asked KF what they needed to do to keep rolling in the 2nd. He said "Just stay aggressive, keep attacking". How much do we miss that guy, huh?

Wow. I had just read your post in one of the other threads and thought "I remember the positive @kicker22 - a 'glass is 1/2 full' guy. I miss that guy".

Are you okay, man? It's just entertainment, right?

I think we should all probably hit youtube and watch some '02 highlights. Halftime of the Michigan game Holly asked KF what they needed to do to keep rolling in the 2nd. He said "Just stay aggressive, keep attacking". How much do we miss that guy, huh?
Honestly I’m about as optimistic as it gets, but life’s too short. And I’m probably bitter I’m sober and still trying to mentally recover from what I just forced myself to sit through. But it occurred after this one, that for some reason felt more torturous then others why I put myself through this week in and week out. Never thought I’d get to that point as I bleed black and gold but I put it into perspective and realized I quit supporting the bears for the very same reason. I just came to terms with the fact that it’s not as fun as it was when I find that I spend more time pissed offf and yelling at my TV then I do enjoying anything going on on the offensive side of the ball.

I quit supporting the bears for the very same reason.

Bears fan too, huh? The offensive-football gods really have forsaken you!

I know what you're saying though. Like I said, it's just entertainment. If it's not fun, there are lots of other ways to spend a Saturday.

Bears fan too, huh? The offensive-football gods really have forsaken you!

I know what you're saying though. Like I said, it's just entertainment. If it's not fun, there are lots of other ways to spend a Saturday.
Former lol grew up in SEIA was grew up Bears and Chiefs fan as I was always a defense guy growing up. About the time the Bears turned to Cutler and it became clear no matter how good the defense was they’d continually waste that talent by being less then mediocre on the offensive side I quit watching. Now that feeling seems way to familiar.

Our offense has had two scoring drives in 8 quarters.
A 5-yard drive for a FG against South Dakota State.
A 15-yard drive for a TD against ISU

We have been through this before. Kirk will somehow right the ship and win enough games for a crap bowl game. I felt like he was going to change QBs after his presser. Padilla is a better passer and the D is top tier. 6 or 7 wins, Iowa football, it is what it is.

It is very frustrating to see all the offensive talent on other teams across the country. If Iowa had a truly athletic guy at QB and receiver making plays they would be really good.

Honestly I’m about as optimistic as it gets, but life’s too short. And I’m probably bitter I’m sober and still trying to mentally recover from what I just forced myself to sit through. But it occurred after this one, that for some reason felt more torturous then others why I put myself through this week in and week out. Never thought I’d get to that point as I bleed black and gold but I put it into perspective and realized I quit supporting the bears for the very same reason. I just came to terms with the fact that it’s not as fun as it was when I find that I spend more time pissed offf and yelling at my TV then I do enjoying anything going on on the offensive side of the ball.

Feel your pain brother. 1985 for the Bears. Even though it was so sweet that was 37 years ago. Iowa hasn’t won a national championship in football in my lifetime (at least since I was able to remember since I followed them at age six sitting with my dad and watching a black and white tv back in 1966.

If a fan base deserved it more I don’t who it would be and in what sport.

What is it twenty-three years now and we still can’t figure out how an offense is suppose to run? It’s the lack of offense that has killed the program from going from being good to being a perineal division champ. Of course the more often you win your division the greater chance you have of winning your conference title.

I got into a discussion with one of the posters on here about about how a top ten paid coach can’t even scrap together a top “50” offense. This person’s comment was he didn’t think Kirk had been in the top ten for a few years (yeah what was he until he got his last pay increase 12th).

So out of curiosity I googled to see in a ten year period from 2010 to 2020 to see how Kirk rated in total sum of pay over that period. Jaw dropping at #4 out all of all college coaches during that time period. Yet during that period he hadn’t a top fifty offensive ranking.

Now we are getting what looks like an extreme case of nepotism shoved up our asses. As a Iowa fan of 56 years I have a right to question the morality of the situation. After all who has been following this program longer Kirk or me?

Commings and Lickliter those were tough years to suffer through in their respective sports.

Why did it take for the offense to so putrid for fans to finally wake up? One of the greatest fan bases. I guess blind faithfulness can be a detriment to a program.

What would I like to see? In a perfect world? Kirk removes Brian and makes him a position coach. Then Kirk finally goes out and finds a offensive guru and gives that person total say so over the whole offense. At that point give Kirk his extensions and 10 million a year I could careless as the money is there to pay him that. He can just focus on meeting and greeting recruits and given he patented public appearances.

Our offense has had two scoring drives in 8 quarters.
A 5-yard drive for a FG against South Dakota State.
A 15-yard drive for a TD against ISU
And, our best receiver was targeted 11 times with 1 completion for 9 yards. (Ed Podolak on postgame. He asked KF about it straight up.)

And, our best receiver was targeted 11 times with 1 completion for 9 yards. (Ed Podolak on postgame. He asked KF about it straight up.)

Gotta give the press credit as they asked some tough questions in the post game presser.

Gotta give Kirk for admitting things aren’t good on offense. Will may see a change at QB this week, if not at the start of the game at least by half time. Petras has been over throwing the open receivers he has had.

Having two son’s I feel for the tough situation Kirk is in. Hopefully changes can be made and improvement can be made. I think last year as we went through this same scenario things were over looked because we kept winning despite poor offensive output.

Also, it’s got to be challenging for players to put out all the efforts in personal preparation and sacrifice to lose this way and especially to a cross state rival. It’s just a sad situation all the way around.

First reactions as a fan on Saturday is to be mad and upset, but as day two rolls around disappointment and sadness sets in. Even though it’s just a sport, you look forward during the off season with hope for the best.

As a dad I just can’t imagine how difficult it is for Kirk. The press nationwide has been very negative toward Iowa’s offense. Everyone in the press knows very well who is running the offense. Even though there has been a lot of criticism of the offense in general, the press has been fairly respectful in not making it too personal.

Maybe a change at QB will be good for the whole team. Wouldn’t mind seeing this freshman that so many seem high on. Why not build for the future. Just hope nobody gets injured, including Spencer. The offensive line looked really bad and has to take a lot of the blame. It just didn’t help matters that when there was time for Spencer to throw he missed open receivers. Just a sad series of events offensively.

On a bright note the defense has done a great job. Kirk himself defended the defense on that long drive that ISU got, by mildly indicating that a defense can only do so much without help from other aspects of the team.

Latest posts