Iowa Is #2 In The League For Alumni On Active NFL Rosters

That’s what makes their conference a varsity league. 8-1 don’t mean a lot against the rest. If you’re saying the east and West divisions are comparable, well, you apparently don’t follow college football very close.

The 5-7 includes a once a decade miracle win over Ohio. Not repeatable. It also includes a win over a moribund UPenn team that had given up when we played them in 2020. Take those away and you're staring down the barrel of 3-9. But if you selectively choose a time period you can really make a point. At the end of the day, Iowa is a lesser program than Ohio, UPenn and Michigan. We are probably on par with Sparty. On our side we are a lesser program than Wisconsin and a better program, at least in this recent decade, than all the other teams in the East. Your mandatory schedule makes a big deal in how good your record is.

Look at Auburn. They have to play freaking Georgia, Bama, LSU and A&M every year. No thanks. Those teams have won 62.5% of the nattys in the CFP era. And oh by the way they've played Clemson, the winner of another 25% of nattys in the CFP era thrice in the past decade. You could have the legit and undisputed fourth or fifth best team in the country and end up 9-3 when you play a schedule like that. It's a lot different than Iowa backing into 10-4 with losses to teams like Kentucky, Wisconsin and Purdue and a blowout loss to Michigan.

The 5-7 includes a once a decade miracle win over Ohio. Not repeatable. It also includes a win over a moribund UPenn team that had given up when we played them in 2020. Take those away and you're staring down the barrel of 3-9. But if you selectively choose a time period you can really make a point. At the end of the day, Iowa is a lesser program than Ohio, UPenn and Michigan. We are probably on par with Sparty. On our side we are a lesser program than Wisconsin and a better program, at least in this recent decade, than all the other teams in the East. Your mandatory schedule makes a big deal in how good your record is.

Look at Auburn. They have to play freaking Georgia, Bama, LSU and A&M every year. No thanks. Those teams have won 62.5% of the nattys in the CFP era. And oh by the way they've played Clemson, the winner of another 25% of nattys in the CFP era thrice in the past decade. You could have the legit and undisputed fourth or fifth best team in the country and end up 9-3 when you play a schedule like that. It's a lot different than Iowa backing into 10-4 with losses to teams like Kentucky, Wisconsin and Purdue and a blowout loss to Michigan.
Exactly. @ChosenChildren is weighting a win against Rutgers the same as a win against OSU in that scenario. Does not compute.

So, discount a couple big wins for reasons you unilaterally declare and then reshuffle the deck so you can reframe it as if those big wins did not occur? Huh? Why would you do that? Why are you trying to skew the argument against Iowa? Are you Scott Frost?

Take away our losses and we're undefeated. I'll never understand why people always want to try to ignore things that happen on the field. We won those games, they count as a win the same as the losses count as losses. Iowa State fans always try to do that in our games against them. Take away this pick, take away that fumble - it's hard to make a case when you're trying to ignore events.

So, discount a couple big wins for reasons you unilaterally declare and then reshuffle the deck so you can reframe it as if those big wins did not occur? Huh? Why would you do that? Why are you trying to skew the argument against Iowa? Are you Scott Frost?
He's not skewing anything, he's pointing out reality. You're the one "skewing" it (or at least suggesting so) to seem as if Iowa has performed at a higher level. The west is a soft division and the OSU win was flukey. They'd beat us 19 times out of 20 and every team in the east has to play them every year. And Michigan, and PSU, and MSU. All of those teams are tougher or at the very least on the same level as Iowa. We have several years where we don't play hardly any of those teams.

Compare the SOS of east teams vs west since the divisions were created. It's not even close. Every year since we went to West/East divisions it's been unbalanced in our favor.

1643126806569.png

Last edited:
He's not skewing anything, he's pointing out reality. You're the one "skewing" it (or at least suggesting so) to seem as if Iowa has performed at a higher level. The west is a soft division and the OSU win was flukey. They'd beat us 19 times out of 20 and every team in the east has to play them every year. And Michigan, and PSU, and MSU. All of those teams are tougher or at the very least on the same level as Iowa. We have several years where we don't play hardly any of those teams.

Compare the SOS of east teams vs west since the divisions were created. It's not even close. Every year since we went to West/East divisions it's been unbalanced in our favor.

View attachment 8633

Totally disagree.

Several posters, including you, argued that our record against the East was terrible and that if we had Indiana's schedule we would lose. Chosen then stated facts. Iowa has an overall winning record against the East. He stated truthfully that we are 13-8 against the East as a whole, and 5-7 against "the Big 4". Okeef then suggest that two of those wins against "the Big 4" should not count because of reasons that he made up in his head. He was trying to support his (and your) position) that the East is better, but wants to do so by rewriting the record books. That's skewing the facts, or as my grandpa would say, "harry horseshit."

If the argument is that the East is better than the West, of course it is. I don't think anyone here has argued to the contrary.

If the argument is that Iowa would do much worse in the East, then the answer is probably, but who knows. But, that is at least debate. I could see Iowa akin to Michigan State in the East. Usually in the Top 3 and win the division once a decade. Is that so far from what Iowa is in the West? Again, I will admit this position is debatable and there is no way to know.

My point is this: starting any argument with rewriting what actually happens is a logically incongruent way to advance the argument. Its a position supported with bullshit.

That’s what makes their conference a varsity league. 8-1 don’t mean a lot against the rest. If you’re saying the east and West divisions are comparable, well, you apparently don’t follow college football very close.
I think what we were discussing was Iowa's record against the East Division, but I'll take the bait from our over-confident moderator.

Sagarin does something very interesting: It rates the Big Ten West and Big Ten East as "separate" conferences.

This year, it rated the Big Ten East as the 3rd best conference in the country with an overall average rating of 78.57. The Big Ten West was rated 4th in the country with an overall average rating of 76.21.

If the Big Ten West is a JV league, it is a very, very good one, since it is rated ahead of the ACC, the Pac 12 and the SEC East Division.

I think what we were discussing was Iowa's record against the East Division, but I'll take the bait from our over-confident moderator.

Sagarin does something very interesting: It rates the Big Ten West and Big Ten East as "separate" conferences.

This year, it rated the Big Ten East as the 3rd best conference in the country with an overall average rating of 78.57. The Big Ten West was rated 4th in the country with an overall average rating of 76.21.

If the Big Ten West is a JV league, it is a very, very good one, since it is rated ahead of the ACC, the Pac 12 and the SEC East Division.
Wow

Look at Auburn. They have to play freaking Georgia, Bama, LSU and A&M every year. No thanks. Those teams have won 62.5% of the nattys in the CFP era. And oh by the way they've played Clemson, the winner of another 25% of nattys in the CFP era thrice in the past decade. You could have the legit and undisputed fourth or fifth best team in the country and end up 9-3 when you play a schedule like that. It's a lot different than Iowa backing into 10-4 with losses to teams like Kentucky, Wisconsin and Purdue and a blowout loss to Michigan
Iowa has not been a lesser program when compared to Penn State, Michigan or Michigan State during the Ferentz era. I'm not choosing any time period. Here are the Ferentz records against the Big 4 of the East over his entire 23 years:

1. Michigan 7-7
2. Mich St 8-8
3. PSU 10-8
4. Ohio St 2-8

Iowa has not been inferior to the first 3 during the Ferentz era. No way you can argue that.

I rest my case.

I'd love to see the counter-argument to this. It will probably involve ignoring wins, having each loss count as two or some other way to disregard the actual stats.

Since there can't be any logical or reasonable explanation to this, I'll move on and point out that the B1G is discussing whether or not to dissolve the divisions altogether:

https://theathletic.com/news/big-te...uture-football-scheduling-plans/g0LD4tO9pYmP/