Iowa is #16 in coaches poll......wow....probably thanks to all the other teams who lost

I think 19 in the AP and 16 in the Coaches is about right. We are 6-2. Take a look at others in the polls, especially those below us. Do you really think there are a lot who would beat us? I think the rest of the season’s results, good or bad, will place us fairly close in the rankings.

As OP put in the thread title, they're not ranking Iowa (or any other team). A lot of these voters are nerds that sit behind a computer or head coaches' secretaries that don't really know about teams from other parts of the country. They're ranking Team X, etc. Team X lost, so we'll move them down, along with the other teams that lost. Team Y won, so they'll move up. We saw that when Iowa moved up to #2 and we're seeing it now that we're losing. It has nothing with the eye test. You will see teams jump like Iowa did early in the year when they beat ranked teams (ISU and Indiana). Those 2 ended up being good wins but not top notch wins against top notch teams. I think we all knew when we were ranked in the top 5 that we weren't one of the top 5 teams. It's a fun thing to watch and talk about, but we all know they mean nothing until the Barta poll comes out.