Iowa Indoor FB Practice Facility Fast Tracked

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
Eric Johnson tweeted that some good news was shared on the recently concluded Hawkeye cruise, and that is Phase 1 of the new indoor FB practice facility would be completed by summer of 2012, with phase 2 starting shortly after.

My guess is Phase 1 will be the actual facility the team practices in, and phase 2 would be adjoining weight room and football offices. Again, that is my guess.

Here were some artist's renderings that have been up in the FB office atrium for the last two season

resize.php

NewFBFacility1.jpg

NewFBFacility2.jpg

Last edited:
Eric Johnson tweeted that some good news was shared on the recently concluded Hawkeye cruise, and that is Phase 1 of the new indoor FB practice facility would be completed by summer of 2012, with phase 2 starting shortly after.

My guess is Phase 1 will be the actual facility the team practices in, and phase 2 would be adjoining weight room and football offices. Again, that is my guess.

Where would you say our current facilities rank in the Big 10?

Coach EJ just confirmed my guess. The practice part of the plan will be done first and by next summer probly means all the parking west of the Rex center where the rv's r is toast

phase 2 new weight room? i thought iowa had biggest weight room in big ten? iowa facilities with these upgrades have to be top notch in big ten.

Coach EJ just confirmed my guess. The practice part of the plan will be done first and by next summer probly means all the parking west of the Rex center where the rv's r is toast

First, the football team clearly doesn't have any problems raising funds. No need for Mediacom Practice Field here. Second, if the new facility is in fact destined for the parking lot west of the rec bldg and scheduled to be open by summer 2012, wouldn't that parking be toast by this fall? Maybe is doesn't take that long to build though.

It's exciting that the team continues to progress and not rest on its past success. Go Hawks!

Looks like a great facility and the bubble has done a good job, but University needs new facility for sure.

When this facility is done,with the new bb facility coming on-line next August, Iowa's facilities should be top notch in both revenue producing sports and put Iowa in solid position to compete for the top tier in both sports going forward. Good news!

What are they going to do about all of that parking?

The area to the west of Carver and the area to the east & south of the Finkbine Commuter lot is prime for tailgating! err... parking. Better not say tailgating, that's an evil word to the powers that be.

Future university development/parking.

The university is throwing away money here. That area is 5 times the size of the Finkbine lot and most it could be(will be) developed. They are just sitting on big $. These lots will be developed sooner or later, that is a given. Might as well as make some money now.

What they could do here, to part of the area, to create a fantastic tailgating scene would be just thin out the trees and let people park like it is a neighborhood area. A simple foot bridge over the train tracks, toward the hospital would make this location great for football AND university employees...

Again, this area is going to be developed eventually. Why not fill it in, make a significant amount of cash and solve the parking problems for the university and football at the same time?

The area to the west of Carver and the area to the east & south of the Finkbine Commuter lot is prime for tailgating! err... parking. Better not say tailgating, that's an evil word to the powers that be.

The university is throwing away money here. That area is 5 times the size of the Finkbine lot and most it could be(will be) developed. They are just sitting on big $. These lots will be developed sooner or later, that is a given. Might as well as make some money now.

What they could do here, to part of the area, to create a fantastic tailgating scene would be just thin out the trees and let people park like it is a neighborhood area. A simple foot bridge over the train tracks, toward the hospital would make this location great for football AND university employees...

Again, this area is going to be developed eventually. Why not fill it in, make a significant amount of cash and solve the parking problems for the university and football at the same time?

They can't put anything there due to the haunted indian burial ground located at that site.

Or are you talking about that giant **** ravine?

Last edited:
When this facility is done,with the new bb facility coming on-line next August, Iowa's facilities should be top notch in both revenue producing sports and put Iowa in solid position to compete for the top tier in both sports going forward. Good news!

We've got great facilities for some of our non-revenue sports, too. The boathouse is state of the art, and the new rec center houses the swimming and diving team. Banks/Pearl fields are both great fields too, but I don't know what they're going to do for indoor facilities now (I believe they use the Bubble quite a bit in the winter.

They can't put anything there due to the haunted indian burial ground located at that site.

Or are you talking about that giant **** ravine?

Indian burial ground? That would explain it. Part of it is a ravine, most of it is not. Regardless, anything is usable. Look no further than Carver.

It's not University property, and as posted earlier, it's one giant ravine.

Latest posts