Iowa-Ill Post-match thoughts

StPtHawk

It is always nice to get the victory but, on the whole, I thought it was a fairly disappointing effort. To an impartial wrestling fan, it was probably a great dual to watch, but, as a Hawkeye fan, I was not very impressed. I thought DSJ and Telford left some points on the mat tonight.

Most importantly, though, Ramos and Lofthouse deserve a lot of credit. Those matchups were toss-ups and both of them controlled their matches. If those matches had gone the other way, it would have been a disaster and a horrible way to end the dual unbeaten streak.

McD did not look like himself. Not sure what it was, but he was on his belly in the third period and looked gassed. But his (freshman) opponent was very good, and I do not see him going away any time soon. In the long run, though, I think this may work in McD's favor, as I am sure this will provide him with significant motivation. I cannot wait to see these two wrestle again.

It surely will be nice to get Gambrall back at 184. The 184 match tonight was a complete roller coaster. And hopefully 149 gets figured out sometime soon. I do not think Ballweg took a legitimate shot the entire match.

Nevertheless, I am confident things will get figured out over the coming weeks. Another great day to be a Hawkeye.

Last edited:
I agree with your post meet thoughts. Brands said that McD was just getting ridden tough, but he looked gassed. I don't think i have ever seen that out of him. if it was just the opponent, hats off to him, if McD is fighting a cold or something, look out next opponent. Also hats off to Mike Evans, he looked very good. Over all i thought we looked slow on our feet tonight though. Glad i am not in wrestling room the next 36 hours, i am sure Brands and company are having a prayer meeting that only the strong survive. Now onto Iowa State!! Go Hawks!!

a match like this is just what the coaches would have ordered...a win, a close win, needing key performances in big matches or they would have lost...big guns not doing great.

Everyone will be motivated from this, whether they won their match or not.

a match like this is just what the coaches would have ordered...a win, a close win, needing key performances in big matches or they would have lost...big guns not doing great.

McD better come out swinging.

Yep, I agree. I also think it was just an adjustment dual as the opponent talent drastically jumped from what they going up against. Iowa State is in deep trouble. Our duals are going to be closer then we like as Brands said, we are giving away 3 weights right now with help on the way for one.

I'm mostly concerned with 149. Ballweg did not take a single shot! Carew needs to get his act together or leave the program...negativity is like a virus

Ballweg did try to take for shots but he got no penetration and didnt get to a leg which might be worst then no taking any shots. Mark Ballweg isn't a big 141 and is going to struggle with the strength and length of guys at 149. McD just needs to get his hands on the guy and dictate how the match is wrestled.

Latest posts