Iowa hoops musings/Hampton

bpiercehawks

I wrote the following for a blog. I basically wanted to learn how to post a blog. Go Hawks!

http://eclectichawkeye.weebly.com/

Iowa Basketball – Thoughts

Iowa will need to have a few players step up to help with the loss of Roy Devyn Marble. I think that Gesell and Uthoff will both be key contributors to this loss of offense. Marble was obviously a good player, first team all-conference and signed by the Orlando Magic, but I think the Hawkeyes will be able to pick up most of this slack. They will need to discover who will be the go-to guy when the team needs a big bucket. Marble hit some big shots for the Hawkeyes, but he wasn’t known for being the guy that hit big shots at big times.

I like the idea of starting Anthony Clemmons. I also am a Mike Gesell fan. Having these two start as our two guards gives us a bit of an unorthodox backcourt. They are a bit short, and neither has proven to be a great shooter. Gesell has a nice mid-range game. Mike also needs to improve his FT% from last year. 67% from the line is terrible for a starting point guard. The ball will be in his hands and crunch time, and that’s not a number that makes you feel confident. I would keep Clemmons in the starting lineup if he can be the lock down defender that we were lacking last year.

The Hawkeyes did a nice job of rebounding the ball last year. Look for that to continue with Woody, Gabe, White, and Uthoff. I expect Woody to average a few more boards a game this year. Last year he averaged only 3.9 rpg.

What type of year are we going to get from Aaron White? He needs to show that he is more of a complete player for us. He has benefitted from our transition game, and Coach Fran does a nice job of designing lobs for Whitey, but he needs to be able to knock down shots from the perimeter and off the dribble if we are going to have a good year. Aaron has been terrific from the FT line, so that helps him get some “easy†points. Hopefully this summer he worked on his pull up, mid-range game. We need him to average 14-15 ppg this year.

Hampton returns four starters from last year’s team that won 18 games. They lost to Penn State in the first round of the CBI Tourney. Hampton has very good guards. Iowa will have a challenge with this matchup. Deron Powers is a nice guard, good shooter from the field and the line, and has a nice assist/turnover ration. Guard Brian Darden is their best 3pt shooter. These two combined for 41 points vs. Penn State last year. The other player that worries me is Jervon Pressley. He’s listed at 6’8†and 250 pounds. Physical, athletic players have given players like White and Uthoff trouble in the past.

I will be watching Iowa’s defense more than anything. Our defense was downright terrible at the end of the regular season last year. As your defense goes, you go.

Go Hawks!

Pretty good writeup IMO.

I'm not sold on starting Clemmons just yet though, unless he's really shown something this pre-season. Between White, Woody, Uthoff, Gesell, Jok, Oglesby, I'm not quite sure where Clemmons fits into the starting five, unless you go small, but it appears this is going to be a team with a frontcourt as its strength. I would guess that Clemmons & Dickerson will be battling for the lion's share of minutes as the second guard.

Yep, White has to show more with his shooting touch from the outside. It's the one real weak spot in his game. He's a senior, so now is the time.

Sounds like Hampton is going to be a tough opening-game opponent that won't fall into the RPI 300+ ("bad win") category, which I like. This one actually makes me a bit nervous, if there's any games in this non-con that I worry about outside of the obvious ISU/UNC type games.

Latest posts