Iowa Hoops: Breaking the Rock?

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
'Break the Rock' was the Iowa football's internal rallying cry when Kirk Ferentz became its head coach back in 1999. I believe it came from Strength & Conditioning Coach Chris Doyle and was prevalent in the weight room.

The thought is that you cannot break a rock with one swing of the hammer; it takes many swings and a lot of work over time to get the job done. Those were the obstacles facing the football program when Ferentz and Doyle arrived and the mantra took root in the heart of the players.

Iowa began the road to breaking the rock with a disappointing 1-10 season in 1999. Iowa lost it's final eight games of that season. That was followed by a rough start to the 2000 season, where the Hawkeyes lost their first five games, thus a 13-game losing streak.

The Hawks got a home win against #25 Michigan State then dropped the next three games, which mean the Hawks had a 2-15 start to the Ferentz era.

Then, the Hawks got a breakthrough win; they topped Penn State in Happy Valley, in overtime. They came back the following week and beat #18 Northwestern team in Kinnick. The Cats were coming off a 50-point outburst at the Big House in beating Michigan. Iowa closed the 2000 season with a close loss at Minnesota without the injured Bob Sanders and Benny Sapp.

The second half of the 2000 season saw the football program gaining confidence and becoming more competitive. The team had put the weight room work in, they had paid the price and they began to be rewarded on the field.

In 2001, the team made more breakthroughs, but were still not yet ready for prime time; they put up more than 30 points per game, one of the 10 best offensive totals in school history, but they were not quite there on defense. They were an inconsistent team, capable of blowing out weaker foes yet not good enough to beat them all (see the 17-14 loss at Iowa State). Iowa finished with a 7-5 record but they could have beaten every team on their schedule.

The 2011-2012 Iowa basketball season has a 'breaking the rock' sort of feel to it.

Last year's Iowa team beat #6 Purdue in the final regular season game. That was after they had two close calls against ranked teams, losing two overtime home games against Wisconsin and Michigan.

Iowa began this season with higher hopes, but things quickly turned ugly as the Hawks were blown out in back to back games against Creighton and Campbell. They were then beaten badly by Clemson, UNI and Iowa State.

This caused a lot of fans to think, 'same as it ever was.'

The Hawks won their final three non-conference games and played Purdue tight in the Big Ten opener, losing by three points.

Then things changed. Iowa won at Wisconsin for the first time in a decade and became just the second unranked team to beat Wisconsin in the Kohl Center in 61 games. The Hawks then won at Minnesota in their next game, the first time they had won back to back road games since 2007, the last time the program was relevant and/or had an above .500 team.

The Hawks would lose badly against Ohio State and Michigan State before blowing out a ranked Michigan team at home before losing at Purdue in another close game where Iowa led by 11 with 2:43 to play in the first half.

Iowa went 3-4 in their first seven games to start Big Ten play when I felt 1-6 or 0-7 marks were far more likely.

Things fell off the rails a bit in their 8th game, one of the most winnable conference games on their slate, when they lost at home to Nebraska after leading by 11 with under five minutes to play in the first half. That one hurt. That's one you'd love to have back.

After that game, the Hawks were embarrassed 103-89 at Indiana before coming home to win back to back games against Minnesota and Penn State. Again, they had double-digit first half leads in both of those games and actually came back from a 10-point deficit in the second half to beat the Gophers.

Then it was two bad losses at Northwestern and Penn State. The Wildcats confused Iowa with their 1-3-1 half court trapping defense and it was an ugly loss. Iowa fell down 16 to Penn State early in the second half and pulled to within two points late in the contest thanks to numerous Matt Gatens three pointers, but the Nittany Lions held on.

Then on Sunday, just when some fans were leaving this team for dead again, the Hawks controlled the 20th ranked team in the nation for the final 37 minutes of the game, beating Indiana 78-66.

It's been a wild and crazy season, one without much rhyme or reason. It may be folly to compare football and basketball teams, but when I examine the rebuilding process, I can see similar signs of life from the Iowa basketball program that we saw at the end of the 2000 season and for much of the 2001 season.

This basketball team may be a bit of a mix of both of those teams; farther along than the 2000 team but probably not as good, respectively, as the 2001 Iowa football team.

Yet this Iowa team is a dangerous out. This Iowa team is capable of beating most teams in the league on a given night, something we have not been able to say for at least five years. There were a few false starts in the Todd Lickliter era, some 'pyrite' moments.

There have been a few steps back this year after some nice wins, but more like two steps forward and 1 step back; yet the momentum is forward moving.

Iowa is 3-3 against ranked conference teams this year, the third best record in the league:

Michigan State: 5-1
Michigan: 4-3
Iowa: 3-3
Ohio State: 3-3
Illinois: 2-2
Indiana: 2-4
Wisconsin: 2-4
Northwestern: 1-3
Minnesota: 1-4
Nebraska: 1-5
Penn State: 1-7
Purdue: 0-5

As I wrote on Sunday, Iowa's three wins against ranked teams this year are as many wins against ranked teams as the previous five Iowa basketball seasons, combined. McCaffery had the one last season and Todd Lickliter had one (a fluke 43-36 home win against Michigan State) and Alford had one during his final season at Iowa.

Had Iowa been able to hold on to those two first half double-digit leads against Purdue and Nebraska, this team would be 8-6 in the Big Ten and not 6-8. They would be 16-11 overall and not 14-13. They would still be in the bubble discussion with four games left to play in the regular season.

But this team, much like the 2001 Iowa football team, is just not there yet. They are inexperienced which leads to inconsistency. The 2001 Iowa football team was, in a word, inconsistent. They had to learn how to bring a winning effort each time out, the way that this basketball program must do.

Iowa will return so many key players next season, so many talented players. They will bring in their best recruiting class in over a decade, which includes a scoring point guard and a highly coveted 7-footer, both players ranked in the Top 100 in the nation.

I think we'll see some inconsistency next year, too. Perhaps it will more resemble the 2001 Iowa football team, which made it to the post-season. If next years team can make it to the NCAA tourney, they would have a leg up on the 2001 Alamo Bowl. An NIT bid would be more in line with an Alamo Bowl bid.

But what I hope for most of all is for this program to take this year's lessons to heart. Realize that when they give maximum effort from the start, they are pretty good and figure out how to give that sort of physical and mental effort night in and night out.

if this team finishes strong, they can set themselves up for just such a renaissance in 2012-2013 and make this one of the more exciting basketball off seasons in recent memory.

Last edited:
Good article Jon. My hope for the remaining games is that the guys who have either underperformed or been horribly inconsistent can hit the reset button and play smart, passionate basketball. White, Gatens, Marble and to a lesser extent Oglesby typically give good accounts of themselves, but we have others that have been MIA for too long. Whether they man up for Gatens, to make a run at the postseason, or to build confidence for next year, I don't care. I just hope every guy steps his game up for the stretch run and does what they can to help the team.

Who will be next years Brad Banks? In my opinion someone has to stop up and by the unquestioned go to guy. Will it be Marble, White or someone who has yet to don the black and gold.

This team will be very close to breaking that rock. Just curious who will be wielding the biggest hammer.

Consistency will come from experience. One thing that young teams do consistently is be inconsistent.

But the encouraging thing is that the team is fun to watch, they are competing, they are showing that they aren't satisfied to just "stay close" to good teams, but want to win and ARE winning.

Fran has also accomplished the next step in the rebuilding process by bringing in a great recruiting class for next year. If he can coach them up like he's done with this group, then the snowball really starts rolling downhill and we'll be back where we belong.

Can't wait for that to happen!

Who will be next years Brad Banks? In my opinion someone has to stop up and by the unquestioned go to guy. Will it be Marble, White or someone who has yet to don the black and gold.

This team will be very close to breaking that rock. Just curious who will be wielding the biggest hammer.

Actually, I think the question that needs asking is who will be our Bob Sanders. Banks was awesome, but from the moment Bob was inserted into the lineup and onto the field, that team got meaner, nastier, more aggressive and played with more swagger. If there's one guy that was responsible for the resurgence of Iowa football, it was Bob.

Actually, I think the question that needs asking is who will be our Bob Sanders. Banks was awesome, but from the moment Bob was inserted into the lineup and onto the field, that team got meaner, nastier, more aggressive and played with more swagger. If there's one guy that was responsible for the resurgence of Iowa football, it was Bob.

This. Sanders should go down as arguably the greatest to ever wear the Black and Gold, for the simple reason you just posted. Very, very few players have meant as much to the program as Bob Sanders did.

Aaron White = Bob Sanders. Aaron White is a catalyst to this basketball team's success much like Bob Sanders was the main contributor to Iowa's resurgence in football.

The Hawks would lose badly against Ohio State and Michigan before blowing out a ranked Michigan team at home before losing at Purdue in another close game where Iowa led by 11 with 2:43 to play in the first half.

Don't want to be that guy Jon, but it should be Michigan State.

The problem I see is that Iowa loses two of its top three guards next season, including two of its primary ball handlers. And you usually only go as far as your guards in college basketball.

For Iowa to take a step forward next season, Marble is going to have to be even better, and either Oglesby or one of the freshmen guards will have to surprise.

The problem I see is that Iowa loses two of its top three guards next season, including two of its primary ball handlers. And you usually only go as far as your guards in college basketball.

For Iowa to take a step forward next season, Marble is going to have to be even better, and either Oglesby or one of the freshmen guards will have to surprise.

Cartwright has missed a lot of time this year and hasnt been that effective when hes been in there and Gatens doesnt handle the ball all that often. He gets a lot of shots and is constantly involved in the offense but rarely brings the ball up the court. PG will be just fine with the freshman, Marble and Oglesby.

I compare Iowa next year to IU this year. IU added Zeller to a woebegone squad that had talent,and suddenly they leapfrogged the NIT year to an NCAA year.

I think Iowa will take the NIT step next year,but they might just jump right to NCAA.

Matt will be missed,bigtime. The trick is to replace his shooting with improvement in shooting from Devyn,Aaron,Josh,and Aaron. Zach is shooting well already. That would give us multiple threats from the arc...then add Gesell,Clemmons,and Ingram...but not pressure them too much to shoot well right away.

IMO, guard play is the least of our concerns heading into next season. We have 3 guys coming in that can play the point and have the ability to score and defend. I am more concerned with losing Gatens' perimeter shooting and our lack of a physical presence down low. It's risky to count too heavily on freshman and we don't know which Basabe we will see next year.

My preference would be for McCaffrey to find a juco 6"8 guy that can score down low and board.

Cartwright has missed a lot of time this year and hasnt been that effective when hes been in there and Gatens doesnt handle the ball all that often. He gets a lot of shots and is constantly involved in the offense but rarely brings the ball up the court. PG will be just fine with the freshman, Marble and Oglesby.

Gatens will be sorely missed. If not for his scoring and defense, then for his leadership. Be interesting to see who takes the role next year. Cartwright will not be missed, as harsh as that sounds. Poor defender, mediocre ball-handler, poor shooter, and lately, poor decision-maker. I really think next year will show just how deficient we were these last few years at pg. Clemmons and Gesell should be more than capable of running the point, with a little Marble sprikled in if need be. I'm really excited to see Clemmons and Ingram next year. Both have decent builds for incoming fr, both are very quick, and both play very good D from all accounts.

Yes, but Cartwright was huge in the win over Wisconsin and played a key role in the win over Michigan (5 assists, one turnover). So he played a large role in two of the three big wins.

Without Gatens this year, how many Big Ten wins would Iowa have?

Not saying those two guys are B.J. Armstrong and Ronnie Lester, but you better not bank on freshmen guards in the Big Ten. Not saying there isn't an exception here or there, but can you recall the last time Iowa got solid play from a freshman point guard? Dean? Even then, we are talking inconsistent and NIT.

I agree that Marble as a dynamic point guard potentially changes everything.

Yes, but Cartwright was huge in the win over Wisconsin and played a key role in the win over Michigan (5 assists, one turnover). So he played a large role in two of the three big wins.

Without Gatens this year, how many Big Ten wins would Iowa have?

Not saying those two guys are B.J. Armstrong and Ronnie Lester, but you better not bank on freshmen guards in the Big Ten. Not saying there isn't an exception here or there, but can you recall the last time Iowa got solid play from a freshman point guard? Dean? Even then, we are talking inconsistent and NIT.

I agree that Marble as a dynamic point guard potentially changes everything.

Well just because Iowa in the past has not received solid PG play from freshmen does not mean the trend can change. Iowa has not really recruited a good PG since Oliver.

Aaron Craft and Trey Burke have had back to back solid years from Freshmen PG. If you recruit the right players freshmen play just fine.