Iowa Hires Two New Football Coaches

A short while of go, I was listening to Collin Cowherd make reference that kids these days want to be attracted to coaches by their personality. However, he did state that good looking coaches bring a better appealing to the table. Especially to the parents. Though it is little percentage on the decisions kid make towards reasoning for their college choice, it sure does help.

Nick Saban, Urban Meyer, Pat Fritzgerald, Chip Kelly's of the world are considered good looking guys that also bring a swag to them that draws an attraction to any race of kids. KF is not ugly by any standards. Neither is his son. They can go into the inner city areas and if they are able to sell their pitches to both the kid and his parents then they just got their foot in the door. Getting the kid to check out the campus, meet the rest of the coaches, the players and find the academic part pleasing is the other step.

What I am getting at is, no matter what color you are, if you can't attract the kid and his parents you might as well forget it.

(A side note:) One of best friends who is black man in his 40's with a degree in Socialology, told me the birds and the bees of the black culture. One of his statements that he made that stood out is this.

" Young black males thrive on father hood figures coming from a black man." He although stated that now in days, young black males thrive on any good role models black or white. Just someone who help them succeed in life. That kids these days want to get out of the hood and make something out of themselves.

Iowa City is a very attractive and inviting city to live in and to visit. You hear a lot of the stories about these kids saying they "Love Iowa City" "It feels like home". To the inner city kid's, Iowa City is a huge relief.

I don't care who the coach at Iowa is as long as they can recruit the kids they feel will get Iowa back to consistent winning ways.

Your friend is proving my point at least to a certain degree.

FreedComanche

I think if this were true, all the major programs would hire all black coaches (head and assistants).

It's actually becoming more and more that way. Also there are more successful black head coaches: The coaches from Texas AandM, Stanford and Lousiville. In time, the coaching staff percentage of black coaches will mirror the percentage of blacks on the team. It only makes sense that this will happen, just a matter of time.

FreedComanche

It's actually becoming more and more that way. Also there are more successful black head coaches: The coaches from Texas AandM, Stanford and Lousiville. In time, the coaching staff percentage of black coaches will mirror the percentage of blacks on the team. It only makes sense that this will happen, just a matter of time.

FreedComanche

More successful black head coaches? Texas A&M and Stanford were already stacked so you can't judge their success until all players on the roster are their own recruited players. Plus the Stanford coach, I am pretty sure was already on Harbough's staff before he left for the 49ers and merely took over. As for Charlie Strong at Louisville he went 7-6 in 2010, 7-6 in 2011 and 11-2 last season. That looks an awful lot like KF's numbers over a couple of 3 year spans but yet KF is horrible and needs fired, yet Charlie Strong is sucessful. Again we will see how old Charlie Strong is doing in 4-5 years, maybe 10 and find out how successful he really is in his career as a HC at a major university.

The name slips my mind, but isn't the one time Grambling St. head coach among tops in wins? Robbison.

Yes, but I forget if Grambling was D-1AA or DII.

Another couple examples of my point that I forgot to mention.............

1. Look at all the good players George Raveling got while at Iowa. Now compare that with the level of talent Tom Davis got.

2. Colin Powell said for years that the republican party needs a moderate candidate for President. 2008 comes along and you have a very moderate candidate in McCain, but you have a black Democrat candidate. Colin Powell got the kinda Republican candidate he'd been asking for, but voted for the most liberal Presidential candidate that this country has ever had. 2012 same scenario. Moderate to liberal Republican candidate, which Powell has wanted, and he votes again for the most liberal candidate to date in America.

What's wrong with admitting the obvious in both examples?

FreedComanche

Yes, but I forget if Grambling was D-1AA or DII.

Another couple examples of my point that I forgot to mention.............

1. Look at all the good players George Raveling got while at Iowa. Now compare that with the level of talent Tom Davis got.

2. Colin Powell said for years that the republican party needs a moderate candidate for President. 2008 comes along and you have a very moderate candidate in McCain, but you have a black Democrat candidate. Colin Powell got the kinda Republican candidate he'd been asking for, but voted for the most liberal Presidential candidate that this country has ever had. 2012 same scenario. Moderate to liberal Republican candidate, which Powell has wanted, and he votes again for the most liberal candidate to date in America.

What's wrong with admitting the obvious in both examples?

FreedComanche

If you don't want to get banned or your posts deleted, keep the politics in the political forum. I understand you think it relates but I am just warning you the mods are trying to keep things on topic, marginal things might get deleted or worse.

More successful black head coaches? Texas A&M and Stanford were already stacked so you can't judge their success until all players on the roster are their own recruited players. Plus the Stanford coach, I am pretty sure was already on Harbough's staff before he left for the 49ers and merely took over. As for Charlie Strong at Louisville he went 7-6 in 2010, 7-6 in 2011 and 11-2 last season. That looks an awful lot like KF's numbers over a couple of 3 year spans but yet KF is horrible and needs fired, yet Charlie Strong is sucessful. Again we will see how old Charlie Strong is doing in 4-5 years, maybe 10 and find out how successful he really is in his career as a HC at a major university.

Seems to be Strong is trending up.

The coach at AandM was succesful at Houston before coming to AandM.

The Stanford coach lost one of the best qbs and still had a great season.

I'd say they all three have proven themselves.

FreedComanche

Point 1. Lute did pretty well too. Lester, Payne, Stokes, Lohous. Point 2. Hard to argue with that one

Seems to be Strong is trending up.

The coach at AandM was succesful at Houston before coming to AandM.

The Stanford coach lost one of the best qbs and still had a great season.

I'd say they all three have proven themselves.

FreedComanche

All that matters is in the end if they can maintain that success at the highest level, right? None of them have proved that yet.

1657657_display_image.jpg

Randy-Shannon.jpg

turner-gill(2).jpg

t1_princeblog.jpg

65Z3_090421_Sylvester_Croom.jpg

DERP

Dude just F'ing stop you clearly have no clue what it takes to be a successful recruiter let alone a successful college coach.

Please oh wise one, how in the hell did the above not work out? Especially Shannon at Miami and Croom at MSU which who both were at schools that are surrounded by talented "black" HS players?

Are there good and great black head coaches? Of course but I think it's pretty clear it has to do with their coaching ability and almost nothing to do with the color of their skin. Just give it a rest.

IOWA CITY, Iowa -- University of Iowa head football coach Kirk Ferentz named Bobby Kennedy and Jim Reid assistant coaches on the Hawkeye coaching staff. The hirings are effective immediately.

Kennedy will serve as Iowa’s wide receivers coach, while Reid will work with the Hawkeye defense. Former Iowa assistant Darrell Wilson was named to the Rutgers coaching staff Wednesday, while former assistant Lester Erb has left the Iowa staff to pursue other opportunities.

“I am very appreciative of Lester and Darrell’s many positive contributions to Iowa football over the years and wish them both the best moving forward,â€￾ said Ferentz. “I am excited to have Bobby and Jim join our staff.* Both men have coaching experiences that will complement and supplement our staff and team in a positive way.* Jim and Bobby are tremendous individuals who will be a good fit on our campus and great representatives of our university and football program.â€￾

Kennedy coached wide receivers at Colorado the past two seasons. The Colorado native has 22 years of coaching experience on the collegiate level. Reid joins the Iowa staff after serving as associate head coach and defensive coordinator at Virginia the past three seasons. He has more than 30 years coaching experience on the collegiate and professional levels.

Kennedy joined the Colorado program after seven seasons (2004-10) as wide receivers coach at Texas. He was the Longhorn assistant recruiting coordinator for six years. At Texas, he coached in two BCS National Championship games, including the 2005 Rose Bowl victory over USC when the Longhorns won the national championship, and in 2009 against Alabama.

Kennedy’s other coaching stops include six major college programs.* He went to Texas after two seasons at Washington (2002-03). Kennedy joined the UW staff after one season at Arizona (2001), where he coached running backs.

Prior to Arizona, Kennedy had a six-year tenure at Wake Forest. He coached the Demon Deacon running backs in 1999-2000 after four years (1995-98) as receivers coach.* His first-full time coaching job came at Wyoming, coaching wide receivers in 1993-94. Kennedy got his start in the college ranks in the Big Ten, serving as a graduate assistant at Illinois for two years (1990-91) and at Penn State in 1992.

Kennedy graduated with a degree in political science from the University of Northern Colorado in 1989, after lettering at quarterback for four seasons (1985-88).* He began his coaching career at Boulder High School, his alma mater, where he lettered in football and track.

Reid has served as a head coach on the college level for 17 seasons. He has been the head coach at Virginia Military Institute (2006-07), Massachusetts (1986-91) and Richmond (1995-2003).

Reid led an improved defense the last three seasons at Virginia. In 2012, Virginia ranked fourth in the ACC in total defense (353.3 yards per game), fourth in pass defense (208.4), third in first downs allowed (18.6) and fourth in third-down conversion defense (30.7 percent). Virginia linebacker Steve Greer earned first team All-ACC honors while ranking second in the league with 122 tackles.

Reid joined the Virginia staff after spending the 2008 and 2009 seasons as outside linebackers coach for the Miami Dolphins.

In Reid's six years as the head coach at UMass, the school compiled a 36-29-1 record, as he guided the Minutemen to three Yankee Conference titles. He was named Yankee Conference Coach of the Year in 1988 and 1990.

His nine-year run at Richmond included a pair of Atlantic 10 Conference championships and five finishes in the Top 20 in the FCS ranks. He was also named Atlantic 10 Coach of the Year on two occasions (1998, 2000) and the Yankee Conference Co-Coach of the Year in 1995. Reid left Richmond as the program's third-winningest coach with 48 victories, including leading the Spiders in 2000 to their first 10-win season in program history.

Prior to taking over the head spot at UMass, Reid spent 13 seasons at the school as an assistant, including the first two as a graduate assistant. Six of those 13 seasons resulted in Yankee Conference titles.

Following his tenure at UMass, Reid spent three seasons as a defensive coordinator, the first two at Richmond (1992-93) and the third at Boston College (1994), helping the Eagles to an Aloha Bowl championship. In 2004 he was an assistant at Syracuse, helping the Orange share the Big East title, while earning an invitation to the Tangerine Bowl. He was an assistant coach at Bucknell in 2005.

Reid is a native of Medford, Mass. He earned a bachelor of science in education from Maine in 1973, where he was a three-year starter as a safety (1970-72). He earned a master of science in sport management from Massachusetts in 1975.

The Hawkeyes begin spring practice Wednesday, March 27 and conclude spring drills Saturday, April 27.

I'm wondering if Reid is to be the next DC ad maybe Phil decided he'd rather be an assitant or is leaving. Seems like Ried would be ready to be a DC at a place like IOwa.

1657657_display_image.jpg

Randy-Shannon.jpg

turner-gill(2).jpg

t1_princeblog.jpg

65Z3_090421_Sylvester_Croom.jpg

DERP

Dude just F'ing stop you clearly have no clue what it takes to be a successful recruiter let alone a successful college coach.

Please oh wise one, how in the hell did the above not work out? Especially Shannon at Miami and Croom at MSU which who both were at schools that are surrounded by talented "black" HS players?

Are there good and great black head coaches? Of course but I think it's pretty clear it has to do with their coaching ability and almost nothing to do with the color of their skin. Just give it a rest.

Oh............hoffa, you were doing so well earlier in the week when you agreed with me. LOL.

Just so you know, you ain't ever gonna shut me up here. Only Jon is the guy that can do that. He tells me to and I will as he's the boss here.

In my earlier arguments, I was referring to position coaches who recruit, not head coaches as the position coaches usually do more recruiting than the head coaches.

Dang, hoffa, thought you were finally coming around on things. lol........guess not.

FreedComanche

That's what Pat Hardy said earlier today on 1700am.

FreedComanche

I wonder how often a OC or DC steps back down to a position coach. I liked what he did as the DB's coach but I don't know seems like a move he would make if he was leaving not stepping down back to his old position. I don't know, maybe that was the agreement between him and KF, he takes over until KF decides who he really wants.

I wonder how often a OC or DC steps back down to a position coach. I liked what he did as the DB's coach but I don't know seems like a move he would make if he was leaving not stepping down back to his old position. I don't know, maybe that was the agreement between him and KF, he takes over until KF decides who he really wants.

Pat Hardy actually stated that he's heard Phil Parker wants to coach the DB's again, and that he would not be surprised if Parker and Reid are co-DCs.

FreedComanche

So as not to put words in your mouth, or misconstrue what you're saying, will you please answer this question. Do you really believe that top notch recruits are now going to start coming to Iowa, or even give Iowa a hard look, b/c we now have Greg Davis calling our "offense"?

Have you ever shaken a hand with a bling ring on it? You tend to notice what kind of ring it is. So having coaches with them and maybe getting some former players with them, to attend games where we have kids visiting, trust me they will notice.
There should still be some inroads to TX HS's. Also lets face it when TX cleaned house, they missed the mark and maybe they just got rid of the wrong people. If not, I dont know why they still stink.
Factor all that in and if played correctly, yes we should be able to pull higher classes. You all have been complaing about that, well that is how it is done.