Iowa Has Tight Connection with 2014 Elite OL

Nice read. So sad the kid lost his father at such a young age (on both accounts). Football aside, just nice to read what Kirk meant to the kid's father. He may well never wear a Hawk uniform but just a nice reminder about the type of person we have leading our program ...

This is you

HotTubDiarrhea.gif

I have a hot tub. And as far as you know...that's never happened. ;)

I'd suggest this post is based on 13 years of history and observations...some direct, some indirect.

Great kid...great story... wonderful praise for Ferentz. It highlights the best of his qualities. You'll never hear me criticize Ferentz, the man. He's as solid as they come.

But from a business perspective...does he leverage those qualities into successful outcomes? That's what he gets paid $3M to do.

Yes, I could have, and maybe should have...let this story stand on it's own. But after back-to-back 7-5 and repetitive losses to inferior programs all with one of the richest rosters of "NFL talent" in college football... it's tough to do.

My apologies for ruining the vibe.

I don't think you are that off base...

* He didn't give his recruiting pitch to the kid before and after he buried his father...that's pretty much common courtesy, isn't it?

* Father told son that he taught him many things, but all things were those that a coach SHOULD be teaching a player. Technique, channeling aggression, staying in shape...

Basically the gist of the article is that Orlando Brown Sr's favorite coach was Kirk Ferentz and imparted that on his son.

One of the quotes from the article...

"He's a true coach that cares."

You'll never see the article written that tells the story of the players who have gone 5 years through the program and graduated, and who can count on one hand the number of times they've spoken with Ferentz, but those stories exist too.

I suppose this article has its place, but I definitely don't see the justification for the man-mush going on in this thread.

One of the quotes from the article...

"He's a true coach that cares."

You'll never see the article written that tells the story of the players who have gone 5 years through the program and graduated, and who can count on one hand the number of times they've spoken with Ferentz, but those stories exist too.

I suppose this article has its place, but I definitely don't see the justification for the man-mush going on in this thread.

A couple of questions with your post - do you have any of those stories, or are you merely speculating? I'm not saying that this is or is not the case, but it seems pointless to bring it up in the context of a prospect whose father specifically had experience with Ferentz and his coaching.

Second question, while you may not agree with the conclusion of certain posters that this story reflects a pattern of performance by Ferentz to demonstrate an admirable quality, but in what instance would you justify the "man-mush", and how do those circumstances vary in such a way to distinguish your justification, and not that of the posters in this thread?

It will never make sense to me that someone with no first hand experience on the subject matter (in this case Orlando Brown Sr.'s relationship with Kirk Ferentz) finds it both justified and necessary to reduce the impact communicated by those involved...

I'd suggest this post is based on 13 years of history and observations...some direct, some indirect.

Great kid...great story... wonderful praise for Ferentz. It highlights the best of his qualities. You'll never hear me criticize Ferentz, the man. He's as solid as they come.

But from a business perspective...does he leverage those qualities into successful outcomes? That's what he gets paid $3M to do.

Yes, I could have, and maybe should have...let this story stand on it's own. But after back-to-back 7-5 and repetitive losses to inferior programs all with one of the richest rosters of "NFL talent" in college football... it's tough to do.

My apologies for ruining the vibe.

So the kids Iowa has a commit from this year, some of them having offers from schools like Miami, Nebraska, Pitt, Illinois, WVU, etc, or last year like a Garmon who had offers from a veritable who's who of college football, those don't count for anything because Iowa should automatically get whomever they target..that's it, right?

So the kids Iowa has a commit from this year, some of them having offers from schools like Miami, Nebraska, Pitt, Illinois, WVU, etc, or last year like a Garmon who had offers from a veritable who's who of college football, those don't count for anything because Iowa should automatically get whomever they target..that's it, right?

No sense in trying JD. 'drummer hates Ferentz and always takes shots at him.

A couple of questions with your post - do you have any of those stories, or are you merely speculating? I'm not saying that this is or is not the case, but it seems pointless to bring it up in the context of a prospect whose father specifically had experience with Ferentz and his coaching.

First hand accounts. I'm not "tied in" with the program, but I know a few who have gone through and know them through their post-collegiate employment.

Second question, while you may not agree with the conclusion of certain posters that this story reflects a pattern of performance by Ferentz to demonstrate an admirable quality, but in what instance would you justify the "man-mush", and how do those circumstances vary in such a way to distinguish your justification, and not that of the posters in this thread?

Everybody is entitled to their opinion. What I view as over the top hero worship others view as...paying respects? I guess I don't know what other call it. I know there is a pattern, similar to your pattern referenced above, that a story like this gets posted and there is usually a group of posters (not calling anyone out specifically) that line up to start praising the "Good Captain" (which makes me want to puke), praising what a phenomenal human being he is, praising this, that, and everything in between because he's done something that, quite frankly, most would do in a similar situation. But hey, because it's associated with Iowa, he's running a close second to sliced bread in the "best thing" category.

It will never make sense to me that someone with no first hand experience on the subject matter (in this case Orlando Brown Sr.'s relationship with Kirk Ferentz) finds it both justified and necessary to reduce the impact communicated by those involved...

I'm not trying to diminish the impact...merely trying to put it into perspective. The kid's dad liked Ferentz and told his son as much, even to the point of saying it'd be a good place to go to school. But there wasn't a whole lot in the article that suggested Ferentz did more than what any normal adult would do in the same situation.

Last edited:
how do you know?this post is a case in point of human nature and always finding the negative in something, no matter how good the subject is.
I'd suggest this post is based on 13 years of history and observations...some direct, some indirect.Great kid...great story... wonderful praise for Ferentz. It highlights the best of his qualities. You'll never hear me criticize Ferentz, the man. He's as solid as they come.But from a business perspective...does he leverage those qualities into successful outcomes? That's what he gets paid $3M to do.Yes, I could have, and maybe should have...let this story stand on it's own. But after back-to-back 7-5 and repetitive losses to inferior programs all with one of the richest rosters of "NFL talent" in college football... it's tough to do.My apologies for ruining the vibe.

Debbie Downer is here to save the day. You are aware there are far more important things in life than winning right? I wouldn't trade KF for some coach that lies, cheats, and steals to win, sad some fans are just to blinded by W's/L's to see what a great coach we really have.

Originally Posted by hawkdrummer1
Everybody is entitled to their opinion. What I view as over the top hero worship others view as...paying respects? I guess I don't know what other call it. I know there is a pattern, similar to your pattern referenced above, that a story like this gets posted and there is usually a group of posters (not calling anyone out specifically) that line up to start praising the "Good Captain" (which makes me want to puke), praising what a phenomenal human being he is, praising this, that, and everything in between because he's done something that, quite frankly, most would do in a similar situation. But hey, because it's associated with Iowa, he's running a close second to sliced bread in the "best thing" category.

I guess I'm still confused by your approach. I read back through the comments and I found three people saying this is an example/shows that Kirk Ferentz is a good human - some of which qualify it by stating that his on the field results could be better. There doesn't seem to be anything further in the entire thread - is this what you are referencing?

It also seems that you are frustrated that you find Iowa related ("associated with Iowa") articles on an Iowa message board where Iowa fans tend to collect. I would submit that if the Iowa message board discontinued talking about Iowa related topics it would cease to be an Iowa message board - therefore ceasing to have a purpose.

Last, the original question posed wondered your position on what should or should not be discussed under the "man-mush" comment - I'd still like to understand your perspective here?

Drop the ball implies that he is a lock unless Ferentz does something (drops the ball) to screw it up. That is not the case at all from reading the article.

I think you meant to respond to me in that prior post...it said Hawkdrummer but my text was quoted...

I guess I'm still confused by your approach. I read back through the comments and I found three people saying this is an example/shows that Kirk Ferentz is a good human - some of which qualify it by stating that his on the field results could be better. There doesn't seem to be anything further in the entire thread - is this what you are referencing?

You got it. If Drummer hadn't posted what he did, following a precedent set long ago, there probably would have been multiple other subsequent comments. Perhaps I jumped the gun...but I'd seen this movie before...

It also seems that you are frustrated that you find Iowa related ("associated with Iowa") articles on an Iowa message board where Iowa fans tend to collect. I would submit that if the Iowa message board discontinued talking about Iowa related topics it would cease to be an Iowa message board - therefore ceasing to have a purpose.

Iowa related topics are great. I enjoy discussing most things Iowa...it's not that I even dislike discussing things like this article. But in this case, my perspective on the discussion isn't in line with the premise of several of the other posts.

Last, the original question posed wondered your position on what should or should not be discussed under the "man-mush" comment - I'd still like to understand your perspective here?

Have you ever heard one of Chris Rock's comedy specials? I can't recall which one it was...but he does a bit where he discusses guys that almost seem to boast that they "take care of their kids." Then he proceeds to berate those people because they are bragging about something they're SUPPOSED to do. Now, KF wasn't doing the bragging in this story...the story did the work for him. I'm not holding it against him...but threads that start with these types of stories turn into "man-mush" relatively quickly. If there's a legit reason, great, but still not cup of tea. If the reason is questionable at best, I guess I tend to at least throw it out there that any reasonable person would have done similarly.

Drop the ball implies that he is a lock unless Ferentz does something (drops the ball) to screw it up. That is not the case at all from reading the article.
Well sure other then the Matt Gatens of the world there is no such thing as a lock at this stage of his recruitment. But I'll stick my neck out and say Iowa should have a leg up. If you want to call that back peddling then be my guest.

I just wanted to make sure that since hawkfan2679 and drummer aren't here that none of you jags had the audacity to say anything good about that doosh Ferentz...

I'd also like to point out that all of the charity he's done for the U of I's children's cancer hospital and when the tornado leveled Parkersburg, to name a couple, without wanting fanfare and cameras on hand to capture every moment is just what ALL coaches do and that he's actually a bigger doosh for not making a bigger deal out of it...

I'd also like to agree that Kirk isn't a closer and that's why Iowa has a team full of walk-ons...basically the "Drake of the Big10" if you will...

Carry on...

Latest posts