Iowa has the best FG percentage defense in the Big Ten

glidinghawk

The Hawkeyes have allowed opponents to shoot at only a 36.9% clip. That leads all Big 10 teams and is the 23rd best in the nation. The problem is that Iowa shoots only about 3 points better.

Iowa's defense will likely make them competitive in every Big Ten game. If they can shoot at a 43% or better percentage in most of their conference games, they have a very decent chance to win 10 games. I think they are ready to break out of their shooting slump, but they will go against a lot of smothering defensive teams in conference. I envision a lot of games with scores in the 50s and low 60s, maybe a couple in the 40s.

December 30, 2014: Iowa 56, Ohio St 55

Go D!

Last edited:
Yep, when you look at the Big Ten shooting statistics, the offensive and defensive rankings for this team are almost complete opposites. They are ranked at the top for most defensive shooting stats save 3pt shooting percentage where they are 5th of 14. Then you look at the offensive shooting stats and they are near the bottom in most and would be in last if it weren't for Rutgers.

In other words, this has been a top 25 defensive team in the nation through games played so far. Sadly, the offense has struggled and is ranked in the 200s nationally in most categories. So yes, I would agree this defense can keep them in most games and if the offense could become just average, they could end up winning more than they lose in conference play. That's a big if, but I'm optimistic the shooting will get at least a little better.

A very good defensive team improving their scoring is more likely than a high scoring team suddenly learning to play lock down defense IMO. If I had to choose I choose a good defense knowing the offense if more likely to improve...at least on some nights.

One thing to keep in mind is last year's team was one of the best in the Big1 going into conference play, but that fell apart pretty quickly. I have seen a lot of flashes of defensive lapses and almost no signs of us 'breaking out' of a shooting slump. This is just not a good shooting team. If the defense slips even a little it will be a struggle for an NIT bid this year.

One thing to keep in mind is last year's team was one of the best in the Big1 going into conference play, but that fell apart pretty quickly. I have seen a lot of flashes of defensive lapses and almost no signs of us 'breaking out' of a shooting slump. This is just not a good shooting team. If the defense slips even a little it will be a struggle for an NIT bid this year.

When your a poor shooting team, I'm sure the coaching staff stresses defense more than most coaching staffs. A good team can turn on their defense when they really want to. That's probably one of the reasons Iowa looses so many games in the second half.

Great news on that end.But if Iowa Post-Lichliter basketball is a return to more Lichliter basketball....Yawn

Latest posts