Iowa Gets Commit from WR Matt VandeBerg

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
From his twitter: Just committed to Iowa! Accepted their offer! #pumped #excited #blackandgold

He will grayshirt..means pays own way next fall, then full ride Jan 2014

Check out this link for some videos, as well as his track exploits I was able to dig up...he has some speed.

Last edited:
after watching his vids, I wouldn't pencil him in as a WR..could easily see him as a FS. Very good tackler in space.

08-12-2012 09:21 PMJonDMiller
after watching his vids, I wouldn't pencil him in as a WR..could easily see him as a FS

Actually thought the same thing. Good call Jon.

Didn't this guy have a full ride offer to Wisconsin?

Pretty crazy that he would turn that down to grayshirt here.

Great work by the coaching staff on this one.

After watching the videos, I agree with Jon's assessment from the article. I like this guy a lot better at safety. He's like a taller version of Tyler Sash.

after watching his vids, I wouldn't pencil him in as a WR..could easily see him as a FS. Very good tackler in space.
I was tinking the same thing when watching the vid. Give him a year with Doyle, and he could maybe be a free safety.

Same high school as Austin Sumner, the starting QB at South Dakota State. As a RS-FR last year, had 5 games with over 300 yards passing. Big kid. 6-4 with a big arm. Interesting part is that he wanted to go to Iowa, but was injured at camp time. Think he might go down as another Danny Woodhead type player that we almost offered.

Wonder if the WR's interest in Iowa has something to do with Sumner's.

He looks really fast, and small. This should be a great setup, he'll have lots of time to add strength. I think he could get faster though. Not to say that he has never run track, it said he has a 100m time. And not to say that he runs awkwardly, but his form could be improved with coaching.

I think this is an aspect of college S&C that is often overlooked. It's not just about putting 40 lbs of muscle on kids and having them break powerlifting records. They can teach this kid how to improve his stride and not run so upright with his posture.

People talk all the time about how Iowa finds "diamonds in the rough" prospects. If Iowa can continue to have success with these type recruits, this is the kind of kid I want Iowa to get. All we really know is: he's a local (midwest) kid, he wants to play for Iowa, he's supremely athletic and nowhere near his peak, and he plays in an area that doesn't allow him to be highly ranked.

So, technically speaking, he comes in as a walk-on and does not count against our available schollys for 2013? I ask b/c my understanding is we only have a few left.

So, technically speaking, he comes in as a walk-on and does not count against our available schollys for 2013? I ask b/c my understanding is we only have a few left.

Correct. This is why we offered him a gray shirt, so he does not count against this years scholly limit

From his twitter: Just committed to Iowa! Accepted their offer! #pumped #excited #blackandgold

He will grayshirt..means pays own way next fall, then full ride Jan 2014

Check out this link for some videos, as well as his track exploits I was able to dig up...he has some speed.

Why do people gray shirt? Serious question. What I mean is.. is that part of the scholarship offer?

Sorry... should have read the full post.. gray shirt doesnt hurt this years scholarship count.

Last edited: