Iowa Game Atmosphere

I've been to alot of college stadiums and atmosphere. Lately I have a few SEC clients so every year we go to a different SEC game in a different SEC stadium. Tennessee is pretty impressive, but the tailgating is all over the place. Georgia is a blast, but the game day stadium atmosphere is pretty subdued for some reason, the stadium doesn't rock during the games. The thing I like about the SEC is the girls actually dress up for the games...it's crazy...dresses, heels sometimes, and they are going to a college football games. It's distracting and the women of the SEC are stunning and beat the crap out of the Big Ten...as far as beauty is concerned, it's more lopsided than our bowl match ups every year. It's not even close.

That being said, Kinnick's game day atmosphere and when the game is on the line and the crowd is into it, blows any of the SEC games I've seen away. The noise is at a different level.

I went to the Capital One Bowl where MSU played Alabama. I agree about the Alabama fans, including women, dressing up. It seemed to me that they were either hicks, or very classy southern ladies and gentlemen. When I say hicks, Alabama was absolutely killing MSU. So much so, that I thought they were going to end some MSU player's careers with injury. It was ugly. Some of the less classy Alabama fans were screaming, "hurt him", and things like that. For the most part, their fans were classy, and every team has some less than decent fans however.

It does seem the Iowa tailgates have evolved. There is no doubt also the tailgates are more special if we are having a magic season. 2009 was the last really wild tailgates in the Kinnick lot.

The first really big changes was after the ISU game our first Orange Bowl season (02 I believe). That night game, and the ensuing debacle really was the beginning of the end with respect to people throwing up in the stadium. That incident, and after 9/11, when fans couldn't go out at half time and drink, and then reenter the stadium.

Wisconsin, Michigan and OSU are great places also, and their fans remind me quite a bit of Iowa fans. Very respectful to the visiting team. Nebraska is different, as it is downtown, and not really one centralized
location.

the Iowa gameday experience absolutely blows away Wisconsin. they could have a 230 kick and people start tailgating at 11am. in 07 when Iowa played at night, the only tailgates you saw before 2pm were the Iowa fans who had been there since 630am. Wisconsin's football environment is one of the most overrated things in all of sports.

Unless you are the wealthy right next to Or in Kinnick....but yes, the is the most obvious answer. That and they removed several tailgating locations. All the ones that had the most fun. Can't have that!

It seems the opposite is happening around the country as college football's popularity skyrockets. AZ, ISU, and others are growing their atmospheres. Heck, some are even serving beer in their stadiums!

I'm not happy that I need to be careful smoking a cigar at my tailgate. This smoking outside thing is a bit much.

The tailgating scene in Iowa City is still very much alive and well. And you can thank one person... Gary Barta. After the tailgating debacle of 9/4/2010 (that was the first game against Eastern Illinois, where you were not allowed to play music, drink beer or talk above a whisper). I thought tailgating was dead after that game. Then Barta stepped in and relaxed the ridiculous standards. Since then tailgating has been solid again. Maybe not as great as it once was, but still very good. I've been to a few different B1G locations (Minnesota, Illinois, Michigan), none compare to Iowa. Michigan was not bad though. Iowa still has to have one of the better game day atmosphere's in the B1G.

You may still smoke ribs in America, and not get jailed for it.

Until Vintage and his friends take over completely.

I grilled a small bacon wrapped sirloin this evening.

He is a legend in his own mind. Megalomaniac. Narcissist.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjyFakYeujQ"]College Gameday Intro - YouTube[/ame]

Remember when we mattered.

I miss those days, look at all the fans and the number of signs.

Another mediocre season will be hard to stomach, I don't care what anybody says about rebuilding blah, blah, blah. How long is this rebuilding crap going to take because in reality its going on three years. Its time to win again no excuses, I want the real Iowa football back.

Last edited:
We dunna need no Dept of Education.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfObdxEpVjw]Pink Floyd-Another Brick In The Wall (Part II) - YouTube[/ame]

Latest posts