Iowa Football's Matt Hankins Posts That He Will Kneel During Anthem

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know what nobody needs to block me, because I am done. I said I won't support this and I meant it.
Just know that should your classmate, team member, fans, neighbor or anyone else decide to peacefully protest by waving a rebel flag, or saluting like the Nazis did, that you will allow it. You will not think less of them nor judge them for their beliefs, because not doing so is worse than judging someone on skin color. You want fair? That's fair. You will say good for them and support them, their ideas and feelings, just as you are asking them to do for you. Anything different and you are the asshole. You are a hypocrite. Anything different and you are the oppressor. You are the problem. Because you think that what you think and how you feel should carry more weight.
If you are to dumb to understand that then we are not very far from war and may as well just get on with it. Because YOU are drawing a line and saying one belief is better than the other and that's no different than judging someone by their religion. Don't bring up violence either, because I have not seen any Nazi leaners or rebel flag flyers, burn buildings, loot, or anything else, but I have seen what's happening now before. So that's twice in the last 20 years . Put that way I am more inclined to say those other groups of people are less violent. Everyone is just as discriminatory and intolerant of each other. So that's a draw, I guess.
I said, I love the truth. I love fair.
Because that is as close to Godly as a man can be.
Sincerely, An ex Hawk fan.
(Now go shit all over baseball and apple pie while you are at it. Because by using football to make your political statement (against a few assholes) you ruined football) (do I need to spell that out too? Football revenue is what allows scholarships in all sports. Including black athlete scholarships. Fans is what makes the getting paid for likeness rights such a good deal) I warned you to be careful when you think you are going to swing the axe of fair and just, because it cuts both ways when ones intentions and motives are less then completely fair and just.

Last edited:
You know what nobody needs to block me, because I am done. I said I won't support this and I meant it.
Just know that should your classmate, team member, fans, neighbor or anyone else decide to peacefully protest by waving a rebel flag, or saluting like the Nazis did, that you will allow it. You will not think less of them nor judge them for their beliefs, because not doing so is worse than judging someone on skin color. You want fair? That's fair. You will say good for them and support them, their ideas and feelings, just as you are asking them to do for you. Anything different and you are the asshole. You are a hypocrite. Anything different and you are the oppressor. You are the problem. Because you think that what you think and how you feel should carry more weight.
If you are to dumb to understand that then we are not very far from war and may as well just get on with it. Because YOU are drawing a line and saying one belief is better than the other and that's no different than judging someone by their religion. Don't bring up violence either, because I have not seen any Nazi leaners or rebel flag flyers, burn buildings, loot, or anything else, but I have seen what's happening now before. So that's twice in the last 20 years . Put that way I am more inclined to say those other groups of people are less violent. Everyone is just as discriminatory and intolerant of each other. So that's a draw, I guess.
I said, I love the truth. I love fair.
Because that is as close to Godly as a man can be.
Sincerely, An ex Hawk fan.
(Now go shit all over baseball and apple pie while you are at it. Because by using football to make your political statement (against a few assholes) you ruined football) (do I need to spell that out too? Football revenue is what allows scholarships in all sports. Including black athlete scholarships. Fans is what makes the getting paid for likeness rights such a good deal) I warned you to be careful when you think you are going to swing the axe of fair and just, because it cuts both ways when ones intentions and motives are less then completely fair and just.

Seems like you are projecting anger on everyone but where it belongs. KF.

The vast majority of police aren't racist. They go to work, not knowing for sure if they're going to go home that day or evening. Many of them work in minority neighborhoods, protecting the people there. It's just sad that the kneelers never seem to recognize that.

I am glad he feels that he can now express himself. If you get the opportunity, I would love it if you could ask him what would cause him to rethink this stance down the road. That is, what specific steps would he need to see, nationwide, for him to decide it is now time to stand again?

I will ask him that. I think it would be an enlightening answer for many people, including on here, that would benefit from hearing it.

I'm guessing, based on some stances here, that it won't matter what he says to a portion of the population. They're upset because they feel white people are being unfairly targeted right now.

There's a long way to go. Some racists need to die off and hopefully they haven't infected others before they leave the earth.

I'm fully onboard with kneeling and the message behind it, but controversy is not completely unwarranted, as symbols like the American flag depend highly on personal interpretation, which is why I myself always stand.

People like Matt see it as the symbol of the nation he lives in that has not been kind to his race during its history, which is a totally valid interpretation.

Other people, like many veterans I know, see it as something they swore to protect and uphold, which is also valid. Just because disrespect is not intended by kneelers, doesn't mean it isn't interpreted.

There's never gonna be total agreement on this issue.
You have the start to my opinion almost verbatim. I would just add to yours this: does the typical person like Matt get as butt hurt about the contrary view of this symbolism as the typical traditionalist has reacted to the folks who hold Matt's view? Asked another way, which side displays intolerance as the primary reaction to the other's symbolism? My question reveals my lean. But I don't feel so strongly against the counter argument that I will exit the discussion, exit the fan base or not welcome anyone who wants to stick their toe in the water over here on my side. I'm almost 54 now and it is not lost on me that my opinion is rooted in the influence I got as an idiot young adult in Iowa City while I masqueraded as a student for more than several years. I never finished earning a degree, but I value my found perspective every bit as much. I have been out of my home state of Iowa for thirty years and as heart broken as I am over this, I have faith that "my" community can figure this out, and come out the other side better for the pain.

So since players have the courage and support to stand behind the statements they've made with regards to taking a knee, I can only hope those that say they are done supporting the program because of it stay true to their word as well. They definitely have the right to support another program.

I will ask him that. I think it would be an enlightening answer for many people, including on here, that would benefit from hearing it.

I'm guessing, based on some stances here, that it won't matter what he says to a portion of the population. They're upset because they feel white people are being unfairly targeted right now.

There's a long way to go. Some racists need to die off and hopefully they haven't infected others before they leave the earth.
I too would love to hear his response. Rob, I have to confess that until these last few weeks, I have long calmed my inner angst over still visible racism by telling myself that it is self evident that it is aging itself out of existence. Lately that rationale just seems to fall short. Doesn't make it not true or not hopeful ... just not enough.

Last edited:
The vast majority of police aren't racist. They go to work, not knowing for sure if they're going to go home that day or evening. Many of them work in minority neighborhoods, protecting the people there. It's just sad that the kneelers never seem to recognize that.
You are right about most cops. I have been a fire fighter for almost 30 years and I work alongside them every shift. It is nuanced, but the protesters are not protesting the good deeds of the good cops that you and I can see plain as day. They protest the bad cops(obviously) and they protest the system that too often allows and even encourages the good cops (and dare I consider, even the bystanding fire fighter) to just cringe, complain to some like-minded coworkers, and move on to the next call in the interest of career inertia or something else.

You have the start to my opinion almost verbatim. I would just add to yours this: does the typical person like Matt get as butt hurt about the contrary view of this symbolism as the typical traditionalist has reacted to the folks who hold Matt's view? Asked another way, which side displays intolerance as the primary reaction to the other's symbolism? My question reveals my lean. But I don't feel so strongly against the counter argument that I will exit the discussion, exit the fan base or not welcome anyone who wants to stick their toe in the water over here on my side. I'm almost 54 now and it is not lost on me that my opinion is rooted in the influence I got as an idiot young adult in Iowa City while I masqueraded as a student for more than several years. I never finished earning a degree, but I value my found perspective every bit as much. I have been out of my home state of Iowa for thirty years and as heart broken as I am over this, I have faith that "my" community can figure this out, and come out the other side better for the pain.

Exactly.
I'm not angry. Disappointed in people, but not angry. Unless we are going to be equally tolerate and supportive of all views, weather we agree with them or not, then we have become a tyrant.
This is why I usually steer clear of things that are considered controversial. Because in my mind there really isn't all that much controversy, it's more that people can't see the other sides opinion and therefore invalidate it.
To be honest when Colin started all this I really didn't feel much either way, because I didn't know how I felt, but as it has gone on, it's become a train wreck.
The whole notion and idea of saying things like white people are racist or privileged is putting them all in a box and judging them.......on their skin color.
So as time went on, it wasn't that Colin kneeled, I do feel like that is his right and if I don't like it, I don't have to watch. But the same thing can be said if the guy down the street wants to fly a rebel flag. Live and let live. Because like I said usually there isn't as much controversy as people make it out to be.

I've got a simple set of rules. If is true in the micro it is true in the macro and vise versa.
If it can stand in the light of truth and justice it is fair.
Look at the women's rights movement. It was for all women, regardless of race or religion. It never asked for special programs or treatment to maybe tip the scales in their favor. They gave respect and they wanted it in return.
How can you argue with that? You can't. Because it was true for one woman and it was true for all women. Equal pay for the same job. It was about as fair and just as you could get.

Last edited:
Some of this is a byproduct of the great recession. We transferred about 15 percent of wealth h to the upper end. Upper middle moved up too but lost ground to the highest. Middle class and lower middle had people fall categorically lower. Those; n low 39 age group has struggled as there were few jobs then. Student debt skyrockets. On a national scale frustration has been taken out on minorities.

The way we count unemployment is a lie. The real unemployment was closer to 18 percent then than reported. Many blacks don't get counted as they are outo the workforce... In many cases locked out

The current recession is hitting low income really hard

Last edited:
Exactly.
I'm not angry. Disappointed in people, but not angry. Unless we are going to be equally tolerate and supportive of all views, weather we agree with them or not, then we have become a tyrant.
This is why I usually steer clear of things that are considered controversial. Because in my mind there really isn't all that much controversy, it's more that people can't see the other sides opinion and therefore invalidate it.
To be honest when Colin started all this I really didn't feel much either way, because I didn't know how I felt, but as it has gone on, it's become a train wreck.
The whole notion and idea of saying things like white people are racist or privileged is putting them all in a box and judging them.......on their skin color.
So as time went on, it wasn't that Colin kneeled, I do feel like that is his right and if I don't like it, I don't have to watch. But the same thing can be said if the guy down the street wants to fly a rebel flag. Live and let live. Because like I said usually there isn't as much controversy as people make it out to be.

I've got a simple set of rules. If is true in the micro it is true in the macro and vise versa.
If it can stand in the light of truth and justice it is fair.
Look at the women's rights movement. It was for all women, regardless of race or religion. It never asked for special programs or treatment to maybe tip the scales in their favor. They gave respect and they wanted it in return.
How can you argue with that? You can't. Because it was true for one woman and it was true for all women. Equal pay for the same job. It was about as fair and just as you could get.

The multiple books you have written in this thread suggest that you are, in fact, angry.

I just don't understand getting that upset about someone you don't know quietly kneeling during the anthem. It has literally no impact on your life unless you drum up faux outrage. It's not a sign of disrespect. They are wanting to peacefully draw attention to a legitimate issue in this country. Their actions aren't harming anyone.

If the peaceful kneeling truly bothers you that much then please go find another team to cheer for. I think you'll find that difficult though because I can guarantee you almost every team is going to have some players kneeling this Fall.

Even if you don't agree with a player choosing to kneel, please, for the love of God, don't tweet at them or attack them on social media.

She gets it!! Everyone's opinion matters equally. From kneeling to whatever flag they do choose to support. That doesn't mean you have to support it though.

Last edited:
The multiple books you have written in this thread suggest that you are, in fact, angry.

I just don't understand getting that upset about someone you don't know quietly kneeling during the anthem. It has literally no impact on your life unless you drum up faux outrage. It's not a sign of disrespect. They are wanting to peacefully draw attention to a legitimate issue in this country. Their actions aren't harming anyone.

If the peaceful kneeling truly bothers you that much then please go find another team to cheer for. I think you'll find that difficult though because I can guarantee you almost every team is going to have some players kneeling this Fall.

I won't be attending any games nor watching on TV. Lots and lots of people I know in a very diverse group of people feel the same way.
Even if you don't agree with a player choosing to kneel, please, for the love of God, don't tweet at them or attack them on social media.
I don't tweet and I feel the same as you do. Much like the situation in Seattle, you want to put yourself on an island, go ahead, I'm not going to bother you, but don't complain about it later.

I won't be attending any games nor watching on TV. Lots and lots of people I know in a very diverse group of people feel the same way.

I don't tweet and I feel the same as you do. Much like the situation in Seattle, you want to put yourself on an island, go ahead, I'm not going to bother you, but don't complain about it later.

We're you in the group that infuenced the stadium name?

That's not going to be good enough, my Mexican (Spanish) neighbor finds their team name offensive. They are going to need to change it. Plus those uniforms are white, we all know that color represents privilege and racism. How dare they.

Last edited:
Good for Matt Hankins. I really do not understand the controversy here. Kneeling has always been a sign of respect and even subservience. People kneel in church as a sign of reverence to the Blessed Sacrament acknowledging the presence of and to honor Jesus Christ in the Holy Eucharist.

Throughout history people, peasants and nobles alike have knelt before Pharaohs. Kings and rulers of every stripe.

At first glance, research into emotion and nonverbal communication suggests that there is nothing threatening about kneeling. Instead, kneeling is almost always deployed as a sign of deference and respect. We once kneeled before kings and queens and altars; we kneel to ask someone to marry, or at least men did in the old days. We kneel to get down to a child's level; we kneel to beg.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/voices/the-psychology-of-taking-a-knee/

This really should be a Non-Issue. Folk need to get over it and move on. There more important things to be concerned about right now.

knight%2Bkneeling%2Bbefore%2BJesus.jpg

Last time I checked, Matt Hankins is not Jesus.

in my 4.5 years of attending a Bible College - his name never came up one time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts