Iowa Football's Matt Hankins Posts That He Will Kneel During Anthem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good for Matt Hankins. I really do not understand the controversy here. Kneeling has always been a sign of respect and even subservience. People kneel in church as a sign of reverence to the Blessed Sacrament acknowledging the presence of and to honor Jesus Christ in the Holy Eucharist.

Throughout history people, peasants and nobles alike have knelt before Pharaohs. Kings and rulers of every stripe.

At first glance, research into emotion and nonverbal communication suggests that there is nothing threatening about kneeling. Instead, kneeling is almost always deployed as a sign of deference and respect. We once kneeled before kings and queens and altars; we kneel to ask someone to marry, or at least men did in the old days. We kneel to get down to a child's level; we kneel to beg.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/voices/the-psychology-of-taking-a-knee/

This really should be a Non-Issue. Folk need to get over it and move on. There more important things to be concerned about right now.

knight%2Bkneeling%2Bbefore%2BJesus.jpg

Good for Matt Hankins. I really do not understand the controversy here. Kneeling has always been a sign of respect and even subservience. People kneel in church as a sign of reverence to the Blessed Sacrament acknowledging the presence of and to honor Jesus Christ in the Holy Eucharist.

Throughout history people, peasants and nobles alike have knelt before Pharaohs. Kings and rulers of every stripe.

At first glance, research into emotion and nonverbal communication suggests that there is nothing threatening about kneeling. Instead, kneeling is almost always deployed as a sign of deference and respect. We once kneeled before kings and queens and altars; we kneel to ask someone to marry, or at least men did in the old days. We kneel to get down to a child's level; we kneel to beg.

This really should be a Non-Issue. Folk need to get over it and move on. There more important things to be concerned about right now.

Because they are not kneeling out of respect. The exact opposite actually.
But it makes no difference to me, because I won't be watching. I have a feeling the program is in a state just like Seattle. Which is a dumpster fire. You see how that crap is going, it's hilarious.
Only way "the new way" works is if we start getting all 5 star talent like OSU or Alabama. That's why those schools allow more bullshit, because as long as they are 5 star and they are winning, everyone is happy.
Probably lose to Wisconsin, Minnesota and Nebraska this year. Get ready to have an empty trophy case. But hey as long as a few people are happy because there are a few assholes in the world and they get to protest those few assholes, screw everyone else, right.
We don't have a team because there is no I in team and that's exactly what all this is about I I I I I.

I'm fully onboard with kneeling and the message behind it, but controversy is not completely unwarranted, as symbols like the American flag depend highly on personal interpretation, which is why I myself always stand.

People like Matt see it as the symbol of the nation he lives in that has not been kind to his race during its history, which is a totally valid interpretation.

Other people, like many veterans I know, see it as something they swore to protect and uphold, which is also valid. Just because disrespect is not intended by kneelers, doesn't mean it isn't interpreted.

There's never gonna be total agreement on this issue.

Nice to have you back, man.

Because they are not kneeling out of respect. The exact opposite actually.
But it makes no difference to me, because I won't be watching. I have a feeling the program is in a state just like Seattle. Which is a dumpster fire. You see how that crap is going, it's hilarious.
Only way "the new way" works is if we start getting all 5 star talent like OSU or Alabama. That's why those schools allow more bullshit, because as long as they are 5 star and they are winning, everyone is happy.
Probably lose to Wisconsin, Minnesota and Nebraska this year. Get ready to have an empty trophy case. But hey as long as a few people are happy because there are a few assholes in the world and they get to protest those few assholes, screw everyone else, right.
We don't have a team because there is no I in team and that's exactly what all this is about I I I I I.
How the hell do you know they are not doing it out of respect? You are living in an alternative universe and your other comments are laughable. Do you not realize that trolling is easily identified? Go away.

My only question will be what is next. If this becomes the norm across the country which I am sure it will now, will it garner the attention it has in the past, or will it become ordinary and so we will have to move to something else?

It's our right as American citizens to express our opinions... peacefully of course. This is why we are not North Korea or Nazi Germany. This is ideologicaly, at least, why our country can be such a great place. However just kneeling sadly won't really change much.

How the hell do you know they are not doing it out of respect? You are living in an alternative universe and your other comments are laughable. Do you not realize that trolling is easily identified? Go away.
Because dip shit it's a well known fact
Yyou stand for the flag, you stand when the judge enters the court room and you stand for a lady.
Grow up people. Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining. You don't think every one of these people who are kneeling will have kids and those kids will have a better start in life then my kids??
You don't understand that EVERYONE feels like they got the short end of the stick.
Some asshole who really wanted a 250,000 dollar car feels like they got the short end of the stick because their daddy only makes 2 million year and their friends daddy makes 25 million a year and so their friend did get a 250000 dollar car for their 16th birthday.
Get over it. Everyone feels that way.
This supposed racism. Is a crock of shit.
Like I said from business to education they have programs for minorities. Not for poor white people though.
You choose to separate yourself from the flag and the republic for which it stands, the republic is the American citizens you dip shit. So I would not expect much support from them.
This was about YOUR group, YOUR plight.
Not what is good for the republic or that you even cared about the republic. That's a shitty citizen, a shitty neighbor and a shitty person.
You want everyone to care at YOUR plight, while making sure that it's only about Your plight.
Well that axe swings both ways.
I just hope you take credit for it when it does.
Because this is all on you. The republic as a whole is not racist, didn't own slaves and never did a God dam thing to you. Your fight was with a few assholes and that's it.
But since you made it all about you you you, and chose to disrespect the republic, well good luck, because you are going to need it.
You are to God dam dense to understand that by saying white people are racist, you are grouping them and thus racist yourself!
Like I said, I hope you take responsibility for taking an argument and fight against a few assholes to actually creating racism. You just set yourself back 100 years.

Last edited:
Good for him and I hope the other players who feel like doing it will do it. I read Houston Texans coach Bill O'Brien said he will or may kneel and that he is all in support of the reasons behind it.[/QUOTE

Lol Like he was going to say anything else.

Senior starting cornerback plans on peacefully protesting during pregame ritual:

LINK

I am glad he feels that he can now express himself. If you get the opportunity, I would love it if you could ask him what would cause him to rethink this stance down the road. That is, what specific steps would he need to see, nationwide, for him to decide it is now time to stand again?

Yyou stand for the flag, you stand when the judge enters the court room and you stand for a lady.
Grow up people. Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining. You don't think every one of these people who are kneeling will have kids and those kids will have a better start in life then my kids??
You don't understand that EVERYONE feels like they got the short end of the stick.
Some asshole who really wanted a 250,000 dollar car feels like they got the short end of the stick because their daddy only makes 2 million year and their friends daddy makes 25 million a year and so their friend did get a 250000 dollar car for their 16th birthday.
Like I said from business to education they have programs for minorities. Not for poor white people though.
You choose to separate yourself from the flag and the republic for which it stands, the republic is the American citizens you dip shit. So I would not expect much support from them.
Not what is good for the republic or that you even cared about the republic. That's a shitty citizen, a shitty neighbor and a shitty person.
You want everyone to care at YOUR plight, while making sure that it's only about Your plight.
Because this is all on you. The republic as a whole is not racist, didn't own slaves and never did a God dam thing to you. Your fight was with a few assholes and that's it.
But since you made it all about you you you, and chose to disrespect the republic, well good luck, because you are going to need it.
You are to God dam dense to understand that by saying white people are racist, you are grouping them and thus racist yourself!
Like I said, I hope you take responsibility for taking an argument and fight against a few assholes to actually creating racism. You just set yourself back 100 years.

Boy. You need to calm down. I am going to block you because you are boring, you are a troll, you are an attention whore and clearly a race baiter. So, you
will join the half dozen other assholes on my block list. Bye.

tenor.gif

I appreciate your effort to explore possible alternative meaning to kneeling. I think you are historically correct. I just think you are missing the mark on the protesters' intentions. All we need to do is listen to their stated intent. While most say they aren't trying to disrespect the flag etc., neither are they stating the intentions you ascribe. They tell us they want their actions to reflect their discontent with the state of racial treatment in our country. In order to either support or take offense to someone's message, we first have to understand it. All we have to do is listen to them to understand what it is. Even though I disagree with your post, I still appreciate the process you undertook and the support you give to your view. Thanks.

Last edited:
Personally I would love to see the team united. I just don't feel it is fair to impose unity on a protest like this. Just because I want your heart to be in the right place, doesn't mean I should force you to pretend that it is. Not in America, at least. Kirk Ferentz just hasn't quite got his head completely wrapped all the way around the change he is in the midst of...yet. I think he probably will when the time comes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts