Iowa Football - Talent be Damned

MrTHawk

Are there things more important to Kirk Ferentz than winning? And if so, what are they?

I say this in all seriousness and would appreciate some insight.

He believes he wants to win.

As a head coach he doesn't have the capacity to consistently win.

He's afraid of the game he doesn't embrace the game

Loyalty, dependability no matter how average, professionalism, and rewarding hard work are more important.

this is not the way to be successful, but I don't think he cares.

How well a player practices is more important to him than winning. Feel good walk-on stories are more important than winning. Playing his favorites is more important than winning.

How well a player practices is more important to him than winning. Feel good walk-on stories are more important than winning. Playing his favorites is more important than winning.

So, I take it we can just make up anything we want to say?

I sincerely think he wants the best for his players academically and in life. He likes to win but doesnt seem to be super aggressive or have a killer instinct during games. Most of these highly successful coaches if you asked them would say they want to win 40-0 every game. I dont think KF is in that group.

We don't even know for sure if this is even happening..

I think talent and athleticism take a back seat to loyalty and work ethic. Unfortunately this puts an inferior product on the field. Powell, willies, sitting is a strong example.

Paki omeara started over Shawn Greene for half the 2008 season. That season was the worst coaching job I've ever witnessed. Followed by the craziest year of luck I've witnessed. He's a great offensive line coach. That's where it ends.

I think he views games as glorified scrimmages..he wants to put players in the NFL..that seems to be about it

Kirk is the Perry Como of college football head coaches.

Why drive a Ferrari, when you can drive a Volvo?

I believe that winning "his way" is more important than winning in general.

This is the massive problem. He is totally convinced he can manufacture enough players that produce a winner and that talented players are just too risky. They might celebrate on the field, say something in the media or get in trouble off the field. He wants to count his money and not have to deal with it. The problem is talent wins most games most of the time.

I had forgotten about that. And of course there is Adam Shada starting over Bradley Fletcher.

I understand the need to reward and incentivize hard work in a "developmental" program. But when the result is that the best players are not seeing the field, then aren't you just cutting off your nose to spite your face

Paki omeara started over Shawn Greene for half the 2008 season. That season was the worst coaching job I've ever witnessed. Followed by the craziest year of luck I've witnessed. He's a great offensive line coach. That's where it ends.

You have to give props to the Meyers, Sabans, and Carols of college football. It's one thing to motivate kids that already have a chip on their shoulder. But managing the kids with talent and a sense of entitlement requires coaching skills on an entirely different level.

This is the massive problem. He is totally convinced he can manufacture enough players that produce a winner and that talented players are just too risky. They might celebrate on the field, say something in the media or get in trouble off the field. He wants to count his money and not have to deal with it. The problem is talent wins most games most of the time.

Loyalty, dependability no matter how average, professionalism, and rewarding hard work are more important.

this is not the way to be successful, but I don't think he cares.
Your right, he does not care. That fat guaranteed contract is enabling him to do as he wishes with no regard to success, wins and losses.

when kfootball signed his new contract in prior to the 2010 season, all he had to do was average 6.3 wins a season for the lifetime of the contract to pass Hayden Fry, by one win, to become the all time winningest head coach at Iowa. I believe winning his way is more important and he can afford to not make significant changes. He only has to win 3 B1G games a season and 3 non con's a season to become the all time. It's practically gonna happen without really trying.

I think talent and athleticism take a back seat to loyalty and work ethic. Unfortunately this puts an inferior product on the field. Powell, willies, sitting is a strong example.
If KF was coaching ND back in 1975, Rudy Ruettiger would have started his junior and senior year :confused:

Latest posts