Iowa Football: Position-by-Position Spring Practice Preview (Bleacherreport)

I really think our OL can be strength and lets face it the QB play shouldn't get worse. I do worry about lots of turnovers with the young QB but if we use the run to get PA passes we should be ok. It would be nice if our QB had some ability to tuck it and run too (which probably means no Ruddock). I also think if Cooper can go to DE with Alvis and Ott that would be interesting. We need J Johnson and Faith to be effective at DL as well. DB is gonna be a crap shoot. I think Miller is ok but we need some speed and I'm hoping one of the RS guys can add some. The CBs also are young and we will need one or two to step up. I think Lomax might surprise and I like Lile at safety if the coaches give him a shot.
I have a feeling Canzeri might be a slot WR/RB and I look for Weisman and Bullock to have nice seasons. LBs should be ok if the DL can keep them cleaner
I'm interested to see the spring game and see who has done some good work during the RS seasons and since the Nebraska game. I hold out hope for next year..........but its cautious optimism at this point.

You are right...lots of returnees from an underperforming year. That's freaking good news. We took our lumps last year with the youngest football team we have had. Alot of us felt last year was going to be a tough year, especially defensively (see several John Miller articles/posts), but the good thing is that young teams get a year older and another year of maturity. We will be better.

I think alot of people stood out last year...some prior to season ending injuries, after which we went on the 6 game losing streak. If you don't think Scherff, Donnal, Cooper, Weisman, Bullock, Cotton, Hitchens, and LTP stepped up, you are wrong. I would also include Van Sloten and Blythe in that discussion. When you look at the roster and depth chart, with the solid returning lettermen, we will need a similar group of players to step up. I think it will happen.

I don't think it's any mystery that our season will hinge on what happens at the QB position. That's the difference between 6-6 if we suck there, and 9-3 if we get an upside surprise. Unlike last year, I'm much more confident that the OL will be very good, and our DL has many more options. Cooper, LTP, C. Davis, and Alvis give us a good nucleus of players to build around on the DL. We just need a couple guys to step up there to build the rotation. Between Spears, Meier, J Johnson, Ekatite, Ott, McMinn, and Hardy...I expect a few of these guys will make the leap. The back seven should be good. We are set at LB with three seniors, and we have a ton of guys competing in the secondary...all with some serious upside potential. If Parker can get them to play together, we are pretty athletic back there. Young, but athletic.

I'm not all doom and gloom for 2013. I think there is a much greater chance at upside surprise than there was going into 2012.

If we can step on some throats in some games, we had better start getting some others some pt, otherwise 2014 looks to have a good DL with all new Lb's. This worries me, as KF is not known to do such things.

Cracks me up how, for 2 years now, it's been "the LB's / back 7 will be good". Let's clarify ... the LB's have lot's of experience. Meanwhile, Morris is still tripping over his jock as the likes of Colter and Venric are already downfield. Same goes for the back 4 as long as Miller is the "anchor".

I'll say it right now, the d-line will be the bright (less dim) spot on the defense. Per Dolph, Davis is having a great off season and, if you factor in how solid Alvis and Cooper could be (mostly need consistency), where you really need to worry about injury is on the DL.

The only other competitive unit / players on this team is the OL and Weisman. I would also include TE as possibly the brightest spot on the team, however, the Gerg Davis factor completely negates this significant talent advantage Iowa could have at this position.

Dolph also mentioned Cotton as really blowing up for his senior season. He will be a huge asset in the return game and continue to break-out as WR. Again, ultimately worthless, as the Davis / Ferentz combo will continue to find mind-boggling ways to make the offense sputter, regardless of field position.

Another 4-8, maybe 5-7 season. W's = N-Ill, Mizzou St, W Mich and either 1 or 2 from ISU / MSU / NwU

Not a real warm and fuzzy read. But after last year its no shock expectations are at an all time low around here.

There's potential there. Obviously QB is a mystery. But we got an o-line and a full stable of RBs (makes burnt offering to AIRBHG) and TEs. There is potential the defensive backfield and line. There are even rays of hope in that WR crew. Jordan Cotton seems like a sleeper to blow up this year if we can get him the ball in good positions.

I am the eternal off-season optimist. I see a team that could make waves if we get production from the QB and DL.

This is a good looking team this year. The writer missed a lot of potential impact players from the 2013 class.

2013 potential impact players for next year: Derrick Mitchell, Solomon Warfield, Malik Rucker, Nathan Bazata, Brant Gressel, Derrick Willies a few more might get a chance too.

2013 potential impact players for next year: Derrick Mitchell, Solomon Warfield, Malik Rucker, Nathan Bazata, Brant Gressel, Derrick Willies a few more might get a chance too.
Of this list I would guess Rucker or Mitchell might get a shot because we are thin at WR. I think maybe Canzeri moves to the slot and can do some good. We need DL to get a good push and a strong running game and some decent QB play. Only the strong running game is a strong possibility at this point in my mind, DL can be if JJ, OTT, Faith and others can offer some help, QB play is crap shoot at this point. I am hopeful and can't wait to the see spring game but we got a lotta work to do

Where would true freshmen fit in in a "spring practice" preview?

I hope some of them can make an impact because we need some impact players. I do not know much of anything about them so say what they will or won't do. As freshman...I'm skeptical

I'm ready for at least two years of exciting play at the QB position. We have plenty of options to pick from. Thats the only thing I see that could prevent this team from at least being entertaining.