Iowa Football = Knights in College FB Pecking Order

Yeah, WV doesn't make much sense to me. Especially since he's touting their three BCS wins since 2005 and their joining the Big XII. I think joining the Big XII will keep them from winning three more BCS-level bowls in the next seven years.

shouldn't there be fewer kings and a lot more peasants?

4 Kings
6 Princes
12 Barons
20 Knights
EE

There should not be more Knights then Peasants. If the reasoning for so few pesents and so many knights is b/c they feel bad, call them Scribes instead.

Last edited:
Looks to me like a lot of this was put on the past success and a lot of inconsistency on balancing the present with the past especially with some of the Baron picks.

Well if you want to just take brand into account then yes, but they haven't been a king on the football field for a while now.

i didn't read the article so don't know the author's premise.

funny, clownnation consider themselves 'king slayers', even as rated as 'peasant'.

also commentary on how their coach will have them in the royalty rankings soon....

Penn State is a King? They had 2 national championships more than 20 years ago. At that rate, you might as well put Minnesota as a King. They've had 6 national championships.

I would put us in the Baron category. Look no further than the competitive balance formula the B1G used.

Penn State is a King? They had 2 national championships more than 20 years ago. At that rate, you might as well put Minnesota as a King. They've had 6 national championships.

really? again, see brand equity.

ask joe college football about the two schools, and which would rate higher in any category (including national championships) and PSU would be the answer.

They need an Imperial tier, Id say Iowa fits into the Earls

Emperors, Kings, Dukes, Earls/Counts, Barons, Lord Mayor, Common Rabble

They need an Imperial tier, Id say Iowa fits into the Earls

Emperors, Kings, Dukes, Earls/Counts, Barons, Lord Mayor, Common Rabble

Maybe we can work our way up to Duke of Earl.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I--sap81a04]The Alley Cats-The Duke of Earl - YouTube[/ame]

Kings: remove Miami, Florida State, and Penn State
Barons: remove Clemson, Tennessee, A&M, and UCLA
Knights: remove Colorado, Syracuse and Washington
Peasants: Louisville should be a knight

Those are my thoughts at first glance.

I could care less about "brand equity" from a historic sense....that's like saying the Dallas Cowboys should be categorized as a KING in the NFL, yet they haven't really done squat since '95. If the premise is 'historic' brand equity, then yes they should be considered a KING.

However, if the author's premise is about 'recent' brand equity ...(I'd say no more than the past decade or so)... then he shouldn't be including Penn State, Miami, UCLA and others in the upper echelon of his pecking order.

Here is what the author of the article stated: "As a refresher: The goal here is not to rank programs based on winning percentage, national championships, bowl wins or any other quantitative measure, though those things undoubtedly matter."

He goes on to describe how recognizable Michigan's helmet would be in Montana vs Georgia's helmet. So right there it tells me this is just another traditional power (ie 'historic' brand equity) article and nothing more.

For me, I prefer 'recent' equity based on level of play the past 10-12 years.

With that in mind, I'd say today there can only be ONE (1) KING: Alabama

....with Barons being: Florida, Texas, USC, Oklahoma, LSU, Ohio State, Oregon

Knights: ~30-35 programs (of which Iowa is one)

*Squires: ~30-35 programs

Peasants: the remaining ~40-50 programs

*the article didn't have this category, but it should have.

Latest posts