Iowa Football is worth $439.57 million

OmaHawk13

Banned
Wall Street Journal just published a story about College Football teams' "worth"

6 B1G teams are in the Top 25

1) Ohio State ($946.61 million)
3) Michigan ($811.30 million)
10) Penn State ($481.39 million)
11) Nebraska ($444.13 million)
12) Iowa ($439.57 million)
17) Wisconsin ($352.67 million)

The least valuable B1G football program? None other than our beloved newcomer, RUTGERS at a staggering $59.28 million!!

For whoever wants to know, Iowa State is ranked 42nd nationally at $170.62 million

Here is the link: http://www.wsj.com/articles/how-much-is-your-favorite-college-football-team-worth-1452473476

Last edited:
so which franchise is 'worth' more - rutgers or iowa state? i'd say that rutgers would be the better investment. i get that isn't the point of the metric - but rutgers would certainly be vastly more valuable given their population base.......no way the clowns are the 42nd most 'valuable' football franchise.

so which franchise is 'worth' more - rutgers or iowa state? i'd say that rutgers would be the better investment. i get that isn't the point of the metric - but rutgers would certainly be vastly more valuable given their population base.......no way the clowns are the 42nd most 'valuable' football franchise.

I agree to an extent. But you also have to realize how little people in the NYC/NJ area care about college football, or college athletics in general. Iowa State for sure invests more into it's athletic programs. Large population doesn't help your worth if that population isn't attending your events.

Surprised ISU was that high though, definitely don't think they should be that far up.

So...you are telling me I can buy the Iowa Hawkeyes when I win the lotto Wednesday night?

Maybe it's people who make jokes for a living who've placed such a high premium on ISU. Either that or the meet your mate with farm animals dating site is going over big.

I wonder what the Sandusky scandal cost Ped State football in terms of dollars. We know what it cost in respect, youthful innocence lost, coaches legacies, national perceptions, etc...

Rutgers might be the least valued program in the conference but it won't be the least valued to the conference.

"The reasoning has a lot to do with geography. Ohio State Coach Urban Meyer, who will lead his top-ranked Buckeyes into Piscataway on Saturday night for a nationally televised game, said that New Jersey had “as good high school football as anywhere in the country, and obviously a ridiculous amount of TV sets.â€￾
Those TV sets may help the Big Ten negotiate a blockbuster new television deal in the next year, and they have already helped the Big Ten Network, according to its president, Mark Silverman. The network, which is now in more than 60 million homes nationally, added eight million subscribers in the New York metropolitan area in the past year, a period that coincided with Rutgers’s first year as an associate member of the Big Ten. It also experienced a 20 percent year-over-year rise in advertising revenue — more than twice what would have been expected without conference growth."

........New York Times 10/23/2015

I agree to an extent. But you also have to realize how little people in the NYC/NJ area care about college football, or college athletics in general. Iowa State for sure invests more into it's athletic programs. Large population doesn't help your worth if that population isn't attending your events.

Surprised ISU was that high though, definitely don't think they should be that far up.

having lived in NY, i don't agree with your 'don't care about college football' remark. also, tv sets, cable packages.....etc, see ohhawks' comments above. rutgers certainly has lightyears more upside than does the clowns.

Rutgers might be the least valued program in the conference but it won't be the least valued to the conference.

"The reasoning has a lot to do with geography. Ohio State Coach Urban Meyer, who will lead his top-ranked Buckeyes into Piscataway on Saturday night for a nationally televised game, said that New Jersey had “as good high school football as anywhere in the country, and obviously a ridiculous amount of TV sets.”
Those TV sets may help the Big Ten negotiate a blockbuster new television deal in the next year, and they have already helped the Big Ten Network, according to its president, Mark Silverman. The network, which is now in more than 60 million homes nationally, added eight million subscribers in the New York metropolitan area in the past year, a period that coincided with Rutgers’s first year as an associate member of the Big Ten. It also experienced a 20 percent year-over-year rise in advertising revenue — more than twice what would have been expected without conference growth."

........New York Times 10/23/2015

Rutgers is just filling the Hawks pocketbook with money. The money ABC/ESPN will offer for the next TV contract will blow every other conference out of the water. I wouldn't be surprised if it is more than twice what they pay any other conference.

Eight million new subscribers to the BTN. You obviously don't realize how many native mid-westerners live in the New York metropolitan area.

having lived in NY, i don't agree with your 'don't care about college football' remark. also, tv sets, cable packages.....etc, see ohhawks' comments above. rutgers certainly has lightyears more upside than does the clowns.

I grew up playing football in New Jersey. Rutgers was not very good then and was not my top choice for college. It's not that people out East don't care about college football, it's that professional football is just bigger.

I grew up playing football in New Jersey. Rutgers was not very good then and was not my top choice for college. It's not that people out East don't care about college football, it's that professional football is just bigger.

right. you can say the same thing in every pro town. that being said, who has more potential would be my argument. a school that plays second fiddle to another school in a state with not quite 3MM people, or a school located in an area with 20MM people and access to millions more in the region. so advantages in many areas - but most importantly recruiting and MONEY! i know who i'd invest in.

i understand this is just for fun - -

right. you can say the same thing in every pro town. that being said, who has more potential would be my argument. a school that plays second fiddle to another school in a state with not quite 3MM people, or a school located in an area with 20MM people and access to millions more in the region. so advantages in many areas - but most importantly recruiting and MONEY! i know who i'd invest in.

i understand this is just for fun - -

There is no doubt that Rutgers has the potential to be a monster. The amount of athletic talent in the state and region is huge. They need to fix the entire athletic department. Look at how bad the men's basketball team is and all the basketball talent that is in the area from Philly to NYC is ridiculous. I would take Rutgers over ISU any day.

Clowns are using this to prove their relevance over many other schools. As they're using this as proof that they deserve recognition they are questioning the validity of this by pointing out IOWA's high ranking. In a perfect cyfan kind of logic they spin it to fit whatever argument they want to make. I question anything that ranks fantasy island at 42 and Duke at 71.

Last edited: