Iowa Football: Is it Execution or Philosophy

Let me add another thought to an excellent post. Not only are we playing not to lose rather than win, we are playing for the other team to lose and not win. We believe if we make them run enough plays they will make a mistake. That is playing for the other team to lose the game and not for us to win the game.

Word. That's a horribly reactive way to play defense.

Every team has injuries. I reject that excuse when people bring it up.

My thoughts on defense. We all hear people talk about how much time Stanzi studies game film. Why does a QB do this? One main reason is so they know (as best they can) what the other team’s defense is going to do. So you are not suprised, confused and you can take advantage of tendancies of the defense. Is the study of game film for this reason 100% effective? No, but it does help. Funny thing is, opposing QBs facing Iowa have made a habit of saying that Iowa is predictable and that nothing Iowa does surprises them. That Iowa’s defense is vanilla, no surprises, and consistance with that they do. This is true because I never changes what they do. This also means that the opposing QBs are never confused and they know what routes will be open and how Iowa reacts to different formations.
Iowa’s defense puts itself at a huge disadvantage. Execusion is great but if the other team knows you are always in cover 2 defense, it is much easier to call the right plays that work against that denfense.

It was said that Gen. Patton, while in a battle against German Gen. Rommel, yelled “I read your book Rommel.â€￾ Gen Patton did read Rommel’s military book and he knew exactly what Rommel was going to do before he did it. Advantage Patton. And history shows that Patton kicked Rommel’s a**!

Every team has injuries. I reject that excuse when people bring it up.

My thoughts on defense. We all hear people talk about how much time Stanzi studies game film. Why does a QB do this? One main reason is so they know (as best they can) what the other team’s defense is going to do. So you are not suprised, confused and you can take advantage of tendancies of the defense. Is the study of game film for this reason 100% effective? No, but it does help. Funny thing is, opposing QBs facing Iowa have made a habit of saying that Iowa is predictable and that nothing Iowa does surprises them. That Iowa’s defense is vanilla, no surprises, and consistance with that they do. This is true because I never changes what they do. This also means that the opposing QBs are never confused and they know what routes will be open and how Iowa reacts to different formations.
Iowa’s defense puts itself at a huge disadvantage. Execusion is great but if the other team knows you are always in cover 2 defense, it is much easier to call the right plays that work against that denfense.

It was said that Gen. Patton, while in a battle against German Gen. Rommel, yelled “I read your book Rommel.â€￾ Gen Patton did read Rommel’s military book and he knew exactly what Rommel was going to do before he did it. Advantage Patton. And history shows that Patton kicked Rommel’s a**!

Read this post and look at what our defense has done over the last 10 years... what our defense has done this year and the last 2 years... and then be quiet.

http://www.hawkeyenation.com/forum/...ional-ranking-numbers-over-last-10-years.html

Statistics are for losers. How'd that D do with the game on the line in the 4th quarter this season? And quit spamming your stupid thread.

Ranked in the top 10% of the nation in scoring defense 4 years running now.

Govern yourself accordingly before calling people losers.

Kaldenberg, you're looking at the macro version of the defense. And overall, I agree with you. But against Northwestern and Indiana (and teams with similar offensive philosophies/schemes), we need to do something different.

I think we are going to see the defensive numbers go the other way next season. Although there was great disappointment in the perceived play of the D-Line this season I think we are going to find out that they were pretty good. Next season the D could be down to just several really good players; Sash, Prater, Daniels, Binns(maybe), Nielson, Morris(maybe). Not saying we can't be good in time but I look at it as a semi-rebuild.

Now on the bright side,,,, I really think the O-Line could be very good if we put out the biggest/most physical set of players we have.

Rieff - LT
Gettis - LG
J Ferentz - C
McMillan - RG
Zuvs - RT

With Boeffelli, Van Sloten, Donnells, Orne pressing others for time. I am worried about Gettis as he gets hurt a lot (maybe another Tarp situation) but I think one of the other guys listed could fill in.

The great part is all of these guys are big with the exception of J Ferentz. The good part is JF is at center where you can kind of hide an under-sized guy at times. He'll most likely add another 10-15 lbs which will help.

The other question is we will have 2-3 healthy RB's... I think so.

Ranked in the top 10% of the nation in scoring defense 4 years running now.

Govern yourself accordingly before calling people losers.

Govern myself accordingly?

LOL.

You give up the winning TD 5 times in the 4th quarter with the game on the line in ONE SEASON, well, damn the stats...that's loserville, pal.

Govern myself accordingly?

LOL.

You give up the winning TD 5 times in the 4th quarter with the game on the line in ONE SEASON, well, damn the stats...that's loserville, pal.

We need to make some tweaks, but a total system overhaul is NOT necessary for the defense. The track record over the past 10 years (as Kaldenberg outlined) is evidence of that.

I think when you have a healthy tarp, nielsen, hunter, etc then you can probably afford to have the standard defense...

But when you have a grab bag of high school kids, walk ons, etc then you might consider shaking it up a bit... ie.. corner blitz and drop binns into that hole... etc

This defense did not have the horses to not blitz

I have no qualms with our defensive philosophy. No qualms whatsoever. Sure it can drive you nuts watching the NW's and Indiana's of the world dink and dunk down the field on us, but our defense has a decade long resume that stacks up. Our defense is responsible for much of the success we've experienced over the last decade. Norm Parker is responsible for much of the success we've experienced over the last decade.

Our defense typically has provided characteristics that we can hang our hat on. Not always, but more often than not over the last decade we've been able to stop the run consistently, force teams to play left handed, force teams to be patient, and force teams to settle for field goals. That's who we are, and it's worked more often than not over the last decade. The national rankings in total defense, rushing defense, and scoring defense also show a very nice resume over the last decade.

I refuse to listen to this execution bs in regards to our offense. This offense hasn't been dominant since 2001. This offense hasn't sniffed the top 15 in scoring or total offense since 2001. This offense has a poor resume over the last decade.

Execution smexecution. Our scheme requires NFL talent at too many positions than we are capable of filling year in and year out. There really is no argument here. Look at the numbers over the last decade. Look at how our offense has stacked up nationally over the last decade in scoring offense and total offense. It isn't pretty.

Imagine Iowa Football over the last decade if our offense stacked up nationally like our defense has.

That's what makes none of this from the 2010 season make any sort of sense. What the hell is going on?

And you make a great point about the offense.

We look damn bear unbeatable when we get the ball first, go down and score. But what I don't get is why is it we continually let teams go down the field late and score? We know they're going to pass, and they still execute it?

Are Morris and Johnson really THAT bad? I don't know.

But our late game defense has been very poor this year and they deserve as much of the blame as the offense.

But no doubt that overall over the years the defense carries this team.

My take on the coaching component of this discussion:

Our philosophies are fine, though I share the concern of many that our offense rarely sniffs the Top 30. On defense, we are elite most years, and when Norm is in the saddle have been brilliant at in-game adjustments.

But KF often says that the margin for error is lower at Iowa. We've always had to focus harder on player development, execution and intangibles, lacking the stable of thoroughbreds of an OSU or Alabama or USC.

Given that lower margin for error, the coaching staff should be LASER FOCUSED on perfecting those areas entirely within their control: clock management, timeouts, substitutions, punt coverage calls, etc.

To give away anything in those areas, to be anything less than world-class there, is negligence. It cheats the players by forcing them to overcome even more, like a baseball infield whose errors give the opposition extra chances.

My take on the coaching component of this discussion:

Our philosophies are fine, though I share the concern of many that our offense rarely sniffs the Top 30. On defense, we are elite most years, and when Norm is in the saddle have been brilliant at in-game adjustments.

But KF often says that the margin for error is lower at Iowa. We've always had to focus harder on player development, execution and intangibles, lacking the stable of thoroughbreds of an OSU or Alabama or USC.

Given that lower margin for error, the coaching staff should be LASER FOCUSED on perfecting those areas entirely within their control: clock management, timeouts, substitutions, punt coverage calls, etc.

To give away anything in those areas, to be anything less than world-class there, is negligence. It cheats the players by forcing them to overcome even more, like a baseball infield whose errors give the opposition extra chances.

The same late-game defensive problems that surfaced in 2010 were present in 2008. I don't like the philosophy of waiting for the other team to make a mistake.

2008 week 4 at Pitt: "Despite being in the lead, Iowa couldn't hold on to win in Heinz Field, the home of the NFL's Steelers. Iowa's uniforms were patterned after the Steelers' under former coach Hayden Fry in 1979 and have remained mostly unchanged ever since."

2008 week 5 vs Northwestern: "C.J. Bacher threw for 284 yards and three touchdowns and the Wildcats (5-0, 1-0 Big Ten) rallied from a 14-point deficit to beat Iowa 22-17 on Saturday, extending their best start since 1962."

2008 week 10 vs Illinios: "Matt Eller kicked a 46-yard field goal with 24 seconds left and Illinois withstood Iowa's fourth-quarter comeback for a 27-24 victory Saturday."

2008 week 12 vs Purdue: "Shonn Greene ran for 211 yards and two scores for Iowa, and Purdue's Hail Mary pass with 5 seconds remaining sailed long to preserve the Hawkeyes' 22-17 victory on Saturday." We nearly allowed Purdue to score 14 points in the last 8 minutes, including 67 yards in the final 1:13.

Now granted, all of these games the offense was to blame as well like you said. Illinois is the only one that really looked like this year where we gave up a last minute drive, but in all these games we gave up 4th quarter scores with leads or ties that resulted in a loss.

So while our offense is also to blame, it is a team effort in the losses as the defensive scheme seems to be figured out late in games, as we seem to have more late lapses than defensive stops with leads or tied games.

The same late-game defensive problems that surfaced in 2010 were present in 2008. I don't like the philosophy of waiting for the other team to make a mistake.

2008 week 4 at Pitt: "Despite being in the lead, Iowa couldn't hold on to win in Heinz Field, the home of the NFL's Steelers. Iowa's uniforms were patterned after the Steelers' under former coach Hayden Fry in 1979 and have remained mostly unchanged ever since."

2008 week 5 vs Northwestern: "C.J. Bacher threw for 284 yards and three touchdowns and the Wildcats (5-0, 1-0 Big Ten) rallied from a 14-point deficit to beat Iowa 22-17 on Saturday, extending their best start since 1962."

2008 week 10 vs Illinios: "Matt Eller kicked a 46-yard field goal with 24 seconds left and Illinois withstood Iowa's fourth-quarter comeback for a 27-24 victory Saturday."

2008 week 12 vs Purdue: "Shonn Greene ran for 211 yards and two scores for Iowa, and Purdue's Hail Mary pass with 5 seconds remaining sailed long to preserve the Hawkeyes' 22-17 victory on Saturday." We nearly allowed Purdue to score 14 points in the last 8 minutes, including 67 yards in the final 1:13.

Now granted, all of these games the offense was to blame as well like you said. Illinois is the only one that really looked like this year where we gave up a last minute drive, but in all these games we gave up 4th quarter scores with leads or ties that resulted in a loss.

So while our offense is also to blame, it is a team effort in the losses as the defensive scheme seems to be figured out late in games, as we seem to have more late lapses than defensive stops with leads or tied games.

And 3 of those 4 teams were spread teams. Purdue and Northwestern the expert executors at that particular offense, Illinois not so much (but got the job done regardless). The Pitt game was pretty much LeSean McCoy taking over when it counted (accounted for 69 yards on their TD drive: 41 rushing and 28 receiving).

The coaching staff did not allow this team to win this year. This coaching staff should be absolutely ashamed of themselves for what they allowed to happen to this team this year. Ferentz should fire about half this coaching staff starting with both head coordinators but he won't. He will probably give all the coaches raises. Their stubbornness to change and adapt cost a team that had more talent than any Iowa team I have ever seen a chance to have a great year. This season lies right on the shoulders of the coaching staff...period.

Yes Iowa had poor execution in some games, and why is that? On the other hand Iowa is SO predicable that other teams no longer have to prepare for Iowa, defensively or offensively. They KNOW Iowa will do nothing different so they don't have to prepare for anything different. If you KNOW the other team will NEVER blitz and you KNOW the other team will ALWAYS play zone and give your defenders a 7 yard pad, it isn't hard to plan your offense.

The Iowa coaches play football like it is against the rules to do something different, that is cheating to adapt and to exploit the opponent's defense and offense. Yet they think it is perfectly acceptable for the opponent to exploit our offense and defense and even put in new packages and trick plays to do anything to beat us.

I have given up on this coaching staff. This coaching staff will typically win 7 games a year and lose at least 3 games a year (maybe more), most of which they could have and should have won. This staff will typically take Iowa to second tier bowls and occasionally about every 7 or 8 years we will get a BCS game. And THAT will be good enough for this staff.

Iowa fans need to accept this fact, it is as simple as that. Iowa fans need to accept the fact that they will always go to second tier bowl games, they will always get beaten by Ohio State and probably Michigan in the coming years and probably Nebraska, simply because this staff is afraid to win. They play not to lose, which means they will lose most of the time. They are afraid of making mistakes and they simply will not allow the players to play because of their philosophy of being afraid of making mistakes and afraid of losing.

Teams like Northwestern and Indiana KNOW how to beat Iowa and other teams are quickly catching on. Teams know that they can't go head to head with Iowa, but they can easily beat Iowa with a spread because Iowa won't change anything even if it means losing...they won't change anything...ever. They will lose first. That is Iowa.

Last edited:
The philosophy (which comes from the head coach) shapes the coaching (all levels of staff) which shapes the execution (which is where the players come in).

If the execution is consistently lacking or the only thing consistent about the execution is it's inconsistency, then the coaching needs to be tweaked. If the coaching can't be tweaked, you need to find coaches who can adjust their coaching to fit the personnel or go back a step and rethink the philosophy.

Great post, I completely agree.

The first four losses were due to execution failures. The last loss was due to the team mailing it in, or in the words of Adrian Clayborn, they lost the will to win.

Arizona - dropped pass by McNutt, blocked punt, missed extra point.

Wisconsin - missed extra point, 2 fourth down failures on Wisconsin's last drive.

NW - Stanzi missing the open receiver underneath that would have salted the game away, and assorted other offensive failures in the first half.

OSU - Koeppel falling down without getting a block on anyone on the Robinson screen in the 2d qtr (watch the tape, that play was there), Stanzi 2x missing an open McNutt for TDs, and allowing OSU to convert on 4th and 10.

It's execution, in all 3 phases, but it's the coaches' job to keep them mentally sharp. No one is immune.

I think we need to first identify what "philosphy" we are talking about. If we are talking about running a traditional pro-style Power I formation run-first type offense then there is no question that this offense can score points. Look what Wisconsin has done running this same offense. MSU has done extremely well this year as well.

If you are talking about something else as Iowa's "philosphy" such as repeatedly abandoning elements that work like we did when Coker was pulled out of the OSU game even after he was MAULING them every time he touched the ball then yes, it can well be argued that the "philosophy" needs to change.

Personally, I don't think there is anything wrong with the style or the "philosphy" of Iowa's Offense. In fact I much prefer Iowa's style of Offense. However, the problem I see is execution on the part of the COACHING staff that then leads to poor execution on the part of the players.

What I don't see is the coaching staff taking any responsibility on themselves.

Latest posts