Iowa Football: Is it Execution or Philosophy

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
Iowa Football: Execution or Philosophy? | Hawkeye Nation

As we begin to take a look back on the 201o Iowa football season that has to be classified as a significant disappointment (you can use your own adjectives), the first thing that pops into my mind are discussions and commentaries from a few years back.

It was middle and end of the 2006 season, the ‘Fat Cats’ year, and I recall spouting a theme week to week: The Iowa offensive philosophy did not match up with the skill set of the personnel it had on the team. I said the same thing in 2007.

On the other hand, Kirk Ferentz was steadfast (more so in 2007) in this simple comment: It’s about a lack of execution.

Meaning, the players were not able to execute the scheme that the coaches believe in and have chosen to be what Iowa football is about, on offense and defense.

Fans were at loggerheads with Ferentz at that time, and when Iowa started the 2008 season 3-3, there were more than a few message board patrons suggesting Iowa needed to begin thinking about heading in a different direction. I disagreed at the time, and certainly do so right now with those few that are letting their emotions cloud their big picture judgement. However, most people are suggesting tweaks of the system and not replacing Ferentz.

When Iowa was 3-3 in 2008, I felt they had a very good team. At that point they began to execute more crisply and consistently. The offensive line came together, Shonn Greene started to deal and the defense was one of the best (at least statistically) since the 1981 unit.

Before the start of the 2009 season, I had the chance to chat with Kirk in a one on one setting, briefly. I told him the things I had been saying and writing the last year or two, prior to the middle of 2008, and saying that I finally bought into his ‘execution’ statement. It’s not as if he cares what I or anyone has to say all that much, but I felt like since I had hammered that opinion so frequently in so many media genres, I at least owed it to him to man up and tell it to his face.

Fast forward to present day, and the current meltdown within the Hawkeye Nation.

I am working on a season timeline, something that will chronicle some key crossroads of the 2010 season, events and incidents that played a part in shaping the fate of this season. There were significant issues that hurt this team’s chances to execute effectively, there were areas where I think the coaching staff let the team down and there were areas where the team let themselves down. It will be up to you to decide which area ‘deserves’ the larger portion of the blame, since the blame game is an absolute guarantee at times like this; folks have to go through that exercise, if for nothing more than their own sanity.

I don’t get too hung up on that, but it will help me to try and analyze why things fell apart so quickly following the 37-6 win against Michigan State, and how this team changed from an offense that converted 51% of its third downs and averaged 34 points to one that scored five offensive touchdowns against Indiana, Northwestern and Minnesota, three of the worst defenses in the conference.

Could it really be as ‘simple’ as losing your #1 & #2 right guards, as Iowa did against Michigan State? Throw in a concussion to Adam Robinson late in the Michigan State game, too.

I will share more thoughts on that front later, but when you are converting 51% of your third downs through two-thirds of your season, along with 34 points, a pace that was on par with the 2002 Iowa offense, and you revert to what we saw over the final four games, there’s no question a lack of execution is a part of the problem. You won't be surprised to learn then that through eight games, Iowa's defense was allowing just 32% of opponent third down conversions. The last four games, when the offense went AWOL on third down, the Iowa defense was on the field more often and allowed 51% of third downs to be converted.

Just how much? How much is due to a ‘predictable’ offensive philosophy? We’ll touch on defensive topics, too.

I am certain we’ll spend the better part of the next nine months waging that debate.

Last edited:
Should conditioning and mental weardown be thrown into the discussion?

It will be interesting to hear opinions when things are broken down more.

I point to two games...... Wisconsin and Ohio State.

Does Iowa win if Wisconsin does not execute the fake punt?

Does Iowa win if Pryor does not get a first down on a 4th and 10?

One play does not make a game..... or did it in these instances?

Are things overanalyzed a little bit when MAYBE if these 2 plays do not happen....... Iowa wins both of these games.

Does boise state need to analyze there entire season and change philosophies because there field goal kicker couldnt make a kick ?

Does Urban Meyer need to change his philosophies...... or is it the fact he lost probably the best college football player since I have been alive..... and things just change.
hell..... Florida is probably in the National Title game if Cam Newton's life would have been different and he stayed at Florida.

Does Mack brown need to change philosophies at Texas...... or was losing Colt McCoy....who I think is proving to be even better than he gets credit for at the NFL level........ a tough player to replace?

Maybe the fake punt has to do with coaching.

Players need to be examined more than the coaching in my opinion.

Something did not click at the end of the year.... the Minnesota game the players showed poor effort. That isn't schematical. That is emotions, gutcheck time, attitudes that played out throughout the last 4 weeks.

I think more than x's and o's...... more than schemes or philosophies...... more than execution.......

I think a deeper look and unveiling of what happened to this team emotionally? What happened to pride, confidence, fight, grittyness, resiliance...... Those words were not in the vocabulary of how this team played.
there was a meltdown emotionally and mentally with this team somewhere.

I would be very interested through player interviews to find out what went on in this category throughout the big ten season.

Florida, Texas, etc.. don't need to change philosophies because they get the BEST players. A program like Iowa needs to have a philosophy and execute that philosophy to be good because we don't have the players that can just take over.

I don't like our coaches philosophies and would love to see them revamped a little but don't believe that is necessarily the reason we have lost (with the exception of a game or two).

Yesterday, our philosophy didn't cause Stanzi to fumble the snap or Coker to fumble or Stanzi to throw the ball like crap or McNutt to drop 3 passes.

Defensively, it may be different because it didn't seem like we made any adjustments during the game, just let them gash us for 5-6 yards per run right up the middle all day, play 10 yards off the recievers etc... so I guess I would say I would rather change the defensive philosophy.

Texas tried to be more of a power running team this year, and it failed miserably. So they DO need to change their schemes.

Florida didn't adjust to having Brantley at QB instead of Tebow. He's not a good fit for that system at all. They'd have been better off going with Burton.

It is both execution and philosophy. That being said, some systems can overcome issues with execution better than others. Iowa's system requires to precise of execution. Running against 8 or 9 in the box out of a pro-style offense requires that all 11 guys execute just about perfectly. A passing game that is predicated on fades, deep outs and seem patterns with the QB dropping out from under center requires the line to hold their blocks and a fairly precise timing between the QB and the receiver. Bend but don't break D requires guys to cover a larger portion of the field for a greater amount of time.

Last edited:
Florida, Texas, etc.. don't need to change philosophies because they get the BEST players. A program like Iowa needs to have a philosophy and execute that philosophy to be good because we don't have the players that can just take over.

I don't like our coaches philosophies and would love to see them revamped a little but don't believe that is necessarily the reason we have lost (with the exception of a game or two).

Yesterday, our philosophy didn't cause Stanzi to fumble the snap or Coker to fumble or Stanzi to throw the ball like crap or McNutt to drop 3 passes.

Defensively, it may be different because it didn't seem like we made any adjustments during the game, just let them gash us for 5-6 yards per run right up the middle all day, play 10 yards off the recievers etc... so I guess I would say I would rather change the defensive philosophy.

Florida and Texas recruit nationally and get the best players. Agreed.

There are ONLY 12 schools with more BCS appearances than Iowa.

I don't see where Iowa's philosophy is not successful all ready.

I think it is fairly obvious that the offensive line play wasn't as good and injuries had a role. On the defensive side the linebacker play was not that good in the last 1/3 of the season with numerous injuries being the main factor, Having great safeties and defensive line somewhat hid the deficiences of linebacker play. That being said the coaches need to adapt to the problems that the injuries are creating. Your offensive line is banged up so the pass protection isn't going to be as good and you are not going to run as efficiently. We have a bevy of talent at the receiver position this year. Flank 3,4, and 5 receivers with much quicker routes, a lot more rollouts to buy more time. Unforunately the pass offense is set off the running game and if that isn't going as well the passing game isn't as efficient and is the main reason why Iowa looks so bad in the two minute offense.

You bring up a good point Jon...or at least I think you do.

Even Ferentz's most ardent detractors would agree that he is nothing if not consistent with his philosophies and this coaching staff changes rarely changes up the play calling.

Yet other teams just figured it out in the latter half of this season? Really? After what 12 years...they are just now figuring out that we're not going to blitz and we're going to strive for 50/50 run/pass split...really?

This coaching staff was good until the 2nd half of this season when they suddenly became overpaid and incompetent...really?

I think it is 90% execution. We were in position to win every game this season and our players simply failed to make plays at critical times. The consistent lack of execution at critical times is concerning, but it is an aberration with KF teams. Yesterday was awful but I still think we have excellent coaches. Somehow this team 'got away' from them for reasons I don't understand, but I don't think it is time to throw out everything that has made us VERY successful for the past 10 years. Let's get over this and look forward to a bowl game with a chance for some measure of redemption.

Even Ferentz's most ardent detractors would agree that he is nothing if not consistent with his philosophies and this coaching staff changes rarely changes up the play calling.

Yet other teams just figured it out in the latter half of this season? Really? After what 12 years...they are just now figuring out that we're not going to blitz and we're going to strive for 50/50 run/pass split...really?

This coaching staff was good until the 2nd half of this season when they suddenly became overpaid and incompetent...really?

The homestretch included IU and NW (who have had us figured out for YEARS), OSU (who is better than we are, and they also adjusted their offensive game to take advantage of our weakness on defense), and Minnesota (who came out with fire, and we were beyond flat. They also took the underneath stuff.).

Did those teams "figure it out"? Not exactly. But they highlighted the issues of our schemes when we don't have the right players in there.

Iowa Football: Execution or Philosophy? | Hawkeye Nation

As we begin to take a look back on the 201o Iowa football season that has to be classified as a significant disappointment (you can use your own adjectives), the first thing that pops into my mind are discussions and commentaries from a few years back.

It was middle and end of the 2006 season, the ‘Fat Cats’ year, and I recall spouting a theme week to week: The Iowa offensive philosophy did not match up with the skill set of the personnel it had on the team. I said the same thing in 2007.

On the other hand, Kirk Ferentz was steadfast (more so in 2007) in this simple comment: It’s about a lack of execution.

Meaning, the players were not able to execute the scheme that the coaches believe in and have chosen to be what Iowa football is about, on offense and defense.

Fans were at loggerheads with Ferentz at that time, and when Iowa started the 2008 season 3-3, there were more than a few message board patrons suggesting Iowa needed to begin thinking about heading in a different direction. I disagreed at the time, and certainly do so right now with those few that are letting their emotions cloud their big picture judgement. However, most people are suggesting tweaks of the system and not replacing Ferentz.

When Iowa was 3-3 in 2008, I felt they had a very good team. At that point they began to execute more crisply and consistently. The offensive line came together, Shonn Greene started to deal and the defense was one of the best (at least statistically) since the 1981 unit.

Before the start of the 2009 season, I had the chance to chat with Kirk in a one on one setting, briefly. I told him the things I had been saying and writing the last year or two, prior to the middle of 2008, and saying that I finally bought into his ‘execution’ statement. It’s not as if he cares what I or anyone has to say all that much, but I felt like since I had hammered that opinion so frequently in so many media genres, I at least owed it to him to man up and tell it to his face.

Fast forward to present day, and the current meltdown within the Hawkeye Nation.

I am working on a season timeline, something that will chronicle some key crossroads of the 2010 season, events and incidents that played a part in shaping the fate of this season. There were significant issues that hurt this team’s chances to execute effectively, there were areas where I think the coaching staff let the team down and there were areas where the team let themselves down. It will be up to you to decide which area ‘deserves’ the larger portion of the blame, since the blame game is an absolute guarantee at times like this; folks have to go through that exercise, if for nothing more than their own sanity.

I don’t get too hung up on that, but it will help me to try and analyze why things fell apart so quickly following the 37-6 win against Michigan State, and how this team changed from an offense that converted 51% of its third downs and averaged 34 points to one that scored five offensive touchdowns against Indiana, Northwestern and Minnesota, three of the worst defenses in the conference.

Could it really be as ‘simple’ as losing your #1 & #2 right guards, as Iowa did against Michigan State? Throw in a concussion to Adam Robinson late in the Michigan State game, too.

I will share more thoughts on that front later, but when you are converting 51% of your third downs through two-thirds of your season, along with 34 points, a pace that was on par with the 2002 Iowa offense, and you revert to what we saw over the final four games, there’s no question a lack of execution is a part of the problem. You won't be surprised to learn then that through eight games, Iowa's defense was allowing just 32% of opponent third down conversions. The last four games, when the offense went AWOL on third down, the Iowa defense was on the field more often and allowed 51% of third downs to be converted.

Just how much? How much is due to a ‘predictable’ offensive philosophy? We’ll touch on defensive topics, too.

I am certain we’ll spend the better part of the next nine months waging that debate.

Both! Kirk is the right head coach at the right price but it is time to bring in some new blood for coordinators. Same schemes but some new wrinkles, we are very predictable and very easy to prepare for.

The offense played very well against ISU, Whisky, Mich, and MSU but instead of peaking in Nov. fell apart, you can blame injuries but what team doesnt have injuries?

The defense peaked early but struggled with Mich, Arizona, Whisky, and couldnt stop anyone in the 4th qtr. in Nov.

Weird year for Ferentz, his veteran teams usually peak in Nov and this was one of most talented teams ever, probably a combination of execution, poor play calling, and not having Norm Parker for most of the year.

I hope they consider to improve their staff.

Well to be fair... I do believe people have been complaining about KOK for a lot longer than just the second half of the season.

And there is no question that the coaching did not exactly help us out in a few games.

I think that the defense really suffered with Norm not being there... Which would mean that coaching did have something to do with it in that aspect.

Not really sure the disappointing season can be blamed on solely the coaches or the players. I think it was a combination of both, but you can't always change a player and make him execute every game. It doesn't work that way. People have bad games. I feel it is a lot easier to change the coaches approach than it is to make sure that every player executes every down.

Maybe I am wrong. I am not really sure what to think about this season at this point.

The homestretch included IU and NW (who have had us figured out for YEARS), OSU (who is better than we are, and they also adjusted their offensive game to take advantage of our weakness on defense), and Minnesota (who came out with fire, and we were beyond flat. They also took the underneath stuff.).

Did those teams "figure it out"? Not exactly. But they highlighted the issues of our schemes when we don't have the right players in there.

Re: The MN game...if by underneath stuff you mean 200+ yds rushing...that is correct.

f2cf9faf32af1dad63bb701e6d361900.jpg

So in some of your opinions......

having different coaches..... well, forget that....

having different "philosophies"....

Wisconsin would not have converted a fake punt?

And..

Ohio State, more specifically, Terrell Pryor would not have converted a 4th and 10?

Those 2 plays DO NOT happen and I would wager there is a 80% chance Iowa wins both games.

A different "philosophy" stops those 2 plays from happening?

not buying it.

I feel a lot of the problems of the season came down to execution. Yes injuries were a large part of the execution problem, but injuries occur every year to some extent. We have had basically the same coaching staff and philosophy over the past 12 years or so and seemed to have some pretty good success. Remember BCS bowl game win last year. Why was it different this year? It comes down to lack of leadership and execution. A few real quick examples that come to mind: (i know there are more going both ways.)
- did the coaching staff allow the blocked punt against Arizona?
- did the staff miss tackles and allow the kick return against Arizona?
- did the staff allow the tipped/missed XP against Arizona?
- did the staff allow the very easy blocked XP against Wisconsin?
- did the staff have the false start, etc penalties on 1st and goal late in game against Wisconsin? Can't remember if got FG or not on this possession, but we were definateley in great shape for TD
- the blocked punt against wisconsin was on the Staff!
- yes the staff should have made some changes in defensive philosphy against NW and Indiana.
- did the staff throw into double coverage against NW for INT. Big turning point in game. We were driving and looking good for atleast FG and possible TD. Say we get TD. We now up 17 points instead 10 and that changes NW offensive game plan. They don't have time to run all there 5 yd pass plays because need 3 scores instead of 2. Longer passes increase Iowa chance for INT.
- did staff miss all the tackles against minnesota yestarday? Especially on 3rd.

Just seemed like odd year where we couldn't get the BIG 3rd down stop on defense to get off the field in crunch time. Part of that is execution and part defensive philosophy.

Like i said these are just a few examples that come to my mind of poor execution and everyone of those plays were key in losing the game. Shore up these few problems and we possibly a 2 loss team.

I still feel there needs to be some changes to the coaching philosophy and possible personnel. Most changes need to occur on offensive side in my opinion.

Having watched every Ferentz era game, I side with execution being the biggest factor. When its there, Iowa wins. When its not there, its a struggle. You can say that about 30 or so program in the game. the others have to get lucky and execute at a high level while at the same time their opponent has to execute at a poor level.

I think attrition really, really hurt the team this year, and led to lack of execution down the stretch

People want to blame someone or something when things dont go as well as they have hoped. And putting most of the blame on lack of execution doesn't satisfy the most passionate emotions, so they look for something else, a fixed target.

Re: The MN game...if by underneath stuff you mean 200+ yds rushing...that is correct.

f2cf9faf32af1dad63bb701e6d361900.jpg

They still threw for like 180, most of which came underneath (outside of the 40-yarder). And Weber took advantage of the running room too (another hallmark of NW's game).

Well to be fair... I do believe people have been complaining about KOK for a lot longer than just the second half of the season.

Most people I associate with were saying very very positive things about KOK through the first two thirds of the season. The offense was executing, that is why.

When it didn't execute worth a darn over the last third, KOK is an idiot.

Seen that movie before.

And remember; KOK is running the offense Kirk wants run

Philosophy should work if executed properly.

In Ferentz' system the execution needs to be at a high level because it's a more predictable system than other teams systems. There's little margin for error in execution under Ferentz' system. I think we're finding that out this year.

Whether folks like me talking macro v micro, it really doesnt matter what I say.

But I can guarantee you Kirk looks at the macro. If there are grease fires in the micro view, he'll address those...but the macro is not going to change all that much

Latest posts