Iowa football cash....

JHHawk

Iowa's high football revenues are often cited as a reason that the program should be better.....now, of course Texas is #1 in revenues and they seem to be struggling lately, so the correlation can be there or not.

But seriously, with a big chunk of that cash being invested in the new football complex scheduled to open after the season, what other uses for the cash would have made a big impact on the program?

I know some will say :

1. To buy out KF
2. To buy better assistant coaches
3. To build a better personnel/recruiting dept.

I can understand #1 from those who are ready for KF to move on, and maybe that could have been done but it would have been costly, with no guarantees.

# 2 makes some sense , I guess. Paying a Lane Kiffin type of superstar coordinator is not something Iowa has tried.
#3. this has really only become within the rules recently, I believe.

Does more cash mean that a winning program should necessarily follow...all the time?

Jon Miller cites the revenue as a reason Iowa should be better....does that work in practice?

If we fired KF, and hired a new guy, would we expect that the cash generated from football to ensure more winning program?

I think now that we have the new facilities completed, we probably are at the level of football plant that does not impede our progress...so where else do we spend....new 5 star hotel type of dorms for football and bb players?

I am open to suggestions.

Despite your obviously insincere invitation for suggestions, I will give some. The amount of revenue is bought up to show that we can afford to buy out Kirk and hire another coach.

On your larger (first day of econ 101) issue, money can be traded for goods and services. Does a pile of money guarantee winning? No, it does not but it does allow you to pay for more expensive services of people who the market has determined have a marketable skill in producing wins on a football field, recruiting, training etc.

Money will also not help you get to work faster, but if you convert that money into a car you can use the car to drive to work. You see how that works?

Despite your obviously insincere invitation for suggestions, I will give some. The amount of revenue is bought up to show that we can afford to buy out Kirk and hire another coach.

On your larger (first day of econ 101) issue, money can be traded for goods and services. Does a pile of money guarantee winning? No, it does not but it does allow you to pay for more expensive services of people who the market has determined have a marketable skill in producing wins on a football field, recruiting, training etc.

Money will also not help you get to work faster, but if you convert that money into a car you can use the car to drive to work. You see how that works?

Insincere? Right.

Jon opined that a program that generates revenues like Iowa's should win more....right?
He is not saying that using that cash to buy out KF will make KF win more, right?
So, the buyout is not part of Jon's calculation.
He must feel that the excess cash can be used in other ways to win more.
Where? You are suggesting that KF needed to spend more on coaches...fine...I concede that is one way.
Is that the only place to spend the cash to improve the product on the field?

Not sure why this is a touchy topic....the revenue is often cited as a reason that Iowa should be better, and I am asking how it should be applied.

Iowa finish 9-2.

Iowa win all five game in November and ranked in top 15

No team score on Iowa defense

Iowa have explosion offense

Latest posts