Iowa FB Season Tix Going Up

I forgot about $25 youth tickets for BSU, UNI, Indiana and NW. A family of four can go to BSU for $160.

I dont want to go to any of them though. The other games are too exspensive and the wife saids if I go this year I have to take the kids. Its just not worth the hour drive to see the cheaper games.

The biggest problem was the student section. It was sad. I don't know if they are upset with the product, lazy or just too drunk to make it into the stadium, but that student section was starting to look almost as bad as Northwestern's once the weather started getting iffy. The seats are terrible, too, but that is a purely economic move because the school can extract donations out of many people in the old student section. It's almost as if they need to bribe the kids to go or maybe just cut the number of seats allocated.

student section back in the early 90s was usually less than full.

and to the person who said they stopped going to NFL games. Cold wasn't the reason 3 or 4 games didn't sell out until the bitter end. I would assume that sports franchises are finding out they are pretty close to the top of their ticket pricing. when, in green bay, the local tv affiliates are buying tickets to a playoff game so it won't be blacked out, i'm thinking you are there.

Been going to games my entire life, I can't imagine not going but I am getting closer and closer to just watching it on TV.

I agree about the students. The atmosphere all starts with them. I also agree that they need to be moved to better seats. If we won't Kinnick to ever be the environment it has been in the past, we have to make adjustments to get the students more involved. We don't want to be NW or Indiana.

Same goes for Carver. Also tix prices ridiculous, I remember going in the 90's for $24 a game. Its triple now. Wonder if people's wages have tripled in 15 years.

Been going to games my entire life, I can't imagine not going but I am getting closer and closer to just watching it on TV.

But it's only $1/ticket/game. $1. Are you going to stop going to games over $1?

It's a buck a game. No big deal.

Frankly even though I have season tickets I'd rather tailgate and then head downtown and watch the game in a bar.

But it's only $1/ticket/game. $1. Are you going to stop going to games over $1?

Might be guessing here, but I have a feeling its the principal of it as much as the amount of $1 for many. The U constantly trying to nickel and dime another $ out of us, reseating again, more "donation" required seats added etc. Where does it end in other words and then one has to weigh is the product/experience/cost worth it vs. just watching the game on the ever improving HD experience on the big screen. Could get a pretty nice big screen for what you spend season on tix a couple years. Also I can see the TV experience getting more interactive, kind of like ESPN did the other night with the Championship game. Anyway, like I said I might be guessing but there is more to it than just the actual $1 amount I'd say for most. I will honestly say if they raise it much more I will have to consider if it is worth it, this year I couldn't even sell my tickets I didn't use for face value and had to give some away...and that was even tough to find takers. If that continues to be the case, I might as well just be the one buying them cheaper than face or getting them for free if the demand isn't high enough to get face out of them. We'll see what the next few years brings, but I'd say they are teetering pretty close to the line of max ticket price that imported_ankle23 mentioned above. Sure, many in the stadium have a large enough bank account no ticket price will keep them away. That is great. But there is a large segment of fans that don't and that is the group of people they are on the brink of losing IMHO.

It will be interesting if/when they start superimposing banners over the stands on television. No real need to pay for extensive automated banner ad systems at the stadium when everyone is watching at home. I can imagine it looking like people are playing football in Times Square or Tokyo.

Might be guessing here, but I have a feeling its the principal of it as much as the amount of $1 for many. The U constantly trying to nickel and dime another $ out of us, reseating again, more "donation" required seats added etc. Where does it end in other words and then one has to weigh is the product/experience/cost worth it vs. just watching the game on the ever improving HD experience on the big screen. Could get a pretty nice big screen for what you spend season on tix a couple years. Also I can see the TV experience getting more interactive, kind of like ESPN did the other night with the Championship game. Anyway, like I said I might be guessing but there is more to it than just the actual $1 amount I'd say for most. I will honestly say if they raise it much more I will have to consider if it is worth it, this year I couldn't even sell my tickets I didn't use for face value and had to give some away...and that was even tough to find takers. If that continues to be the case, I might as well just be the one buying them cheaper than face or getting them for free if the demand isn't high enough to get face out of them. We'll see what the next few years brings, but I'd say they are teetering pretty close to the line of max ticket price that imported_ankle23 mentioned above. Sure, many in the stadium have a large enough bank account no ticket price will keep them away. That is great. But there is a large segment of fans that don't and that is the group of people they are on the brink of losing IMHO.

How many folks are going to give up their tickets out of principle? Not too many, I'd guess, when that principle is only set against a buck a seat.

See Thunder's post above. He'll pay the extra dollar and he doesn't even like being there.

I hear you, though. That is the society that we live in right now--nickel and diming. I complained a lot when the airlines started charging for luggage, but I haven't stepped foot on an Amtrack train yet. I live about 18 hours away from Iowa City by car, so I have no dog in this particular fight, but I understand how it can be frustrating.

At the end of the day, Barta has read the cards right, because even for those whose budget is stretched by the ticket prices, $1/game is a reallocation from other entertainment budget, not a fish-or-cut-bait increase. Most folks, if given the predicament would skimp on their kids' stocking stuffers and keep the tickets.

I don't know how 30k justify a bowl trip but a a big chunk of them complain about season ticket prices. I go to every home game, and the entire season is WAY cheaper than one bowl trip.

How many folks are going to give up their tickets out of principle? Not too many, I'd guess, when that principle is only set against a buck a seat.

See Thunder's post above. He'll pay the extra dollar and he doesn't even like being there.

I hear you, though. That is the society that we live in right now--nickel and diming. I complained a lot when the airlines started charging for luggage, but I haven't stepped foot on an Amtrack train yet. I live about 18 hours away from Iowa City by car, so I have no dog in this particular fight, but I understand how it can be frustrating.

At the end of the day, Barta has read the cards right, because even for those whose budget is stretched by the ticket prices, $1/game is a reallocation from other entertainment budget, not a fish-or-cut-bait increase. Most folks, if given the predicament would skimp on their kids' stocking stuffers and keep the tickets.

I understand what your saying. The fact that I can't get even close to face value for a few of my games this year though makes me just think Barta might be pushing the envelope with prices right now. But as you said, many people will cut back somewhere else if they love the Hawks that much I guess. I also had empty seats in my row this year every game which I hadn't ever seen either. Seems like many pro teams and such actually give you a discount if you commit to buying season tix no?

Latest posts